Maryland

Name change

What steps do I need to take in order to change my name in Maryland?
What order should they be changed in?

Re: Name change

• edited December 2011
    Take your marriage license (or certified copy) to social security first.  You may want to call and see what you need to bring; I only needed my DL, but other girls have needed their birth certificate.

You have to wait a few days for the change to go through with social security before you can go to MVA and change your DL/title/registration.

Some places require your new DL to change your name, it's different for everyone.  I only needed my marriage certificate (or sometimes nothing) to change my name at BoA, Chase, my loans, State Farm, and my health insurance.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!

Regarding the marriage license...

We got married in Delaware and they gave us three forms (one for the church records, one for the state, and one for us).  The priest took care of everything with our witnesses and gave us back our copy.  Is that what I take to SS?  Or do I need to request a certified copy of the marriage record from the county?  I presume they'll need an actual certified copy, but thought I'd ask and try and save $25!

• edited December 2011
    I'm not 100% sure, but they do accept the MD 'keepsake' license, so I think you could also bring in your copy.  You might want to call and make sure, in case there's some issue with an out-of-state license, but I think it would be fine.

If it helps, I filled out the order form for certified copies and mailed it the day after the wedding, and they came before I got back from my HM.  I ordered three but I would have been fine with just one.  I prefered carrying that around in my bag, and faxing it, etc, to carrying around the nice keepsake one.  For $5 I think it's worth it.
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  I called and asked the Annapolis SS office and first the woman said they needed an original marriage certificate.  So I asked her if that meant the original we were given or a certified copy and she responded that I needed a certified copy.  I'm not sure if she understood completely the difference between the two documents I was asking about, but I guess I'll just go ahead and order the copy from Delaware.  Probably won't hurt to have it anyway.

Thanks again for your help.

• edited December 2011
    No problem - good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards