Connecticut

Ms. or Miss?

I suppose I may have gotten some incorrect on invites- but lets get it right for place cards...

when do you use what?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ms. or Miss?

• I believe that it is Miss for under 18 and Ms. for over 18. It's also my understanding that longgggg time ago it was Miss for anyone who wasn't married so that's where the confusion comes in. We used Ms. for anyone over 18.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's generally what we did too.

Miss is technically for any woman who has never been married.  We had a few older relatives who were never married and go by Miss but our single peers were addressed as Ms.   

We also used Ms. for my widowed aunt who now prefers Ms. to Mrs. and for my friend's divorced mom.
  • Not sure what is proper, but I know that I used Mrs. for a divorced aunt I have which is technically the proper way to address someone who is divorced etiquette wise, and she crossed out the Mrs. and put Ms. on the RSVP card.  I want to call her out saying my way was correct...but whatever.
  • I read somehere a bride went with Ms. for everyone to play it safe.. perhaps that what I will do..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I put Miss for anyone under 18 and everyone else I put Ms (unless they were married) then I put Mr. & Mrs. 
  • I would never put Mrs for someone who is divorced.  If they're married, I put Mrs. if they shared their husband's last name - otherwise, I used Ms. but kept them on the same line.

So an unmarried couple would be:

Mr. John Smith
    Ms. Jane Doe

But a married couple who don't share a last name would be:

Mr. John Smith & Ms. Jane Doe

All my unmarried girlfriends were Ms.  All my aunts who are unmarried are Ms.

My cousin who is 14 got a Miss - I asked her if she was a Ms yet and she giggled and said no way.  All the other girls were under 10 years old, so they definitely got Miss.

Anniversary

• So I guess there is no consensus.. ..
    It is what it is :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ms-or-miss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:93d58ec0-4d93-4cbb-a8f5-9209e5df400bPost:61d6e0db-7037-4591-9d21-0d3d107246ea">Re: Ms. or Miss?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I guess there is no consensus.. .. It is what it is :-)
    Posted by Lizlangevin[/QUOTE]

The polite thing no matter what is to use the title that each person prefers.  As you aren't likely to know what everyone prefers, if there's any doubt and you can ask, then ask!

Anniversary

• In Response to Re:Ms. or Miss?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ms. or Miss?:So I guess there is no consensus.. .. It is what it is :Posted by LizlangevinThe polite thing no matter what is to use the title that each person prefers.nbsp; As you aren't likely to know what everyone prefers, if there's any doubt and you can ask, then ask! Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Ditto. This is one of those times that you'll never win if you say, "The book says you should really be THIS. "
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards