Getting in Shape
Options

The Master Cleanse

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of doing it to give a fresh start to my new self before starting a new work out routine/continue eating right...trying to lose 30lbs by the wedding which won't be for at least a year

Re: The Master Cleanse

• Options
    Liquid cleanses are ok but don't be surprised if the weight comes back when you start eating normally again.  It is a good way to detox on occasion but not as a source of weight loss. I am only speaking from my experience.  Other people might have had other experiences.
  • Options
    IMO I think its too harsh. You will absolutely lose weight but it will usually come back. I prefer juicing. It's awesome. You juice vegetables and fruit and just drink that several times a day with no food. If u need more info let me know. good luck with whatever you try!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Please read the "crash diets" sticky at the top.

There is no physical reason to do a cleanse.  Your liver takes care of that for you.

Please read this thread for more information on that, specifically cac's post.

The majority of us posting here advocate healthy, sustainable weight loss through lifestyle changes instead of "diets".

Something like the Master Cleanse might shed off a few pounds while you do it, but it is in no way sustainable and the weight will come back.  Additionally, that kind of yo-yo dieting is really terrible for you body.  When you lose weight that way without exercise (specificaly strength/resistance training) you lose both muscle and fat together, then, when you gain, it's fat.  The only thing a crash diet or cleanse will do is a) rid you of some water/poop weight, or b) increase you body fat % in the long run.

If you're interested in learning about how to make changes to you lifestyle to help create a healthy you, please, stick around and ask questions!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MuseicMuseic member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking of it as a cleanse, not a way to rapidly lose weight.

I guess I didn't make it clear, but I plan to lose weight gradually and in a healthy natural way throughout the year. I eat pretty healthy already, but am just looking for something to give me a fresh start really.

The juicing idea sounds really good, and tasty!

Raynes-I started reading that thread-GREAT advice in there and wonderful ideas! Posting here definitely served it's purpose, wanted to know if this cleanse would be ok for my body because it didn't seem too healthy, and got my answer :) Think I'll look more into some of those fruit and veggie things, they seem to be the right way to go, and i won't be starving! phew!

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Your body is perfectly capable of cleansing itself.  If you're worried about processed things/fake sugars/preservatives then stop eating them.  Your body will do the rest.
  • Options
    I tried it back in college. Worse 2 days of my life. haha that's right I only lasted 2 days. The drink isnt that bad but like everyone says not a healthy or sustainable way to lose weight
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I lasted once for 6 days and once for 4. It was absolute hell!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I made it 10 days - but it was the hardest 10 days of my life. The first 3 were hell. The middle 3 were strangely pleasant. And the final 4 were just plain torture. I do believe that the cleanse has some benefits - but none of those benefits include sustainable weight loss. You will lose weight and you will gain much of it right back.

I have several friends who swear by it. One, a man we'll call Rob, does it at least twice a year for no other reason than it makes him "feel better" (afterwards), and it helps remind him how much food/calories he needs versus how many he wants. His words, not mine!

Depending on  your motivations, there's no harm in trying the cleanse and seeing how you feel. No one but you can tell how you're body will react or what it may/may not need.
    If you feel great, wonderful - just don't expect weight loss. If you feel terrible, stop.

Good luck with you weight loss goals! We're all here for you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards