Wedding Party

Champagne Dresses?

Hello!  My first post on theknot.com....I'm having difficulty deciding on the color of my bridesmaids dresses.  I'm thinking that our wedding colors for a fall wedding will be merlot, white, and gold.  I'd like to do a champagned colored bridesmaid dress with a merlot bouquet, so the flowers pop against the dress, but people are telling me the champagne color might be too light for pics and too close to my white wedding dress.  Thoughts or suggestions?  Thank you!

Re: Champagne Dresses?

• That is possible but with a darker champagne and a white dress I imagine it probably woudn't be too close.  Would you mind if their dresses looked close to white in the pictures?  As long as their dress styles aren't too similar to yours (which is the case in a lot of the white BM dress photos on theknot's galleries), no one is going to have trouble figuring out who the bride is.
  • I would think a darker champagne color would be better.  Personally, I don't really like the look of both brides and the maids in white, but if you like the look, go for it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Champagne colored bridesmaid dresses are SO lovely in pictures, and I think the color is timeless and classy. I just chose my colors for a fall wedding as well and I'm going with champagne, chocolate brown and fuscia. I think your colors sound BEAUTIFUL, and I think your bridesmaids will look lovely. I like the idea of all of my bridemaids being close to my dress in color, because I'm not a person who needs to stand out in stark white vs. dark bridesmaid dresses. (We'll stand out naturally by being  the brides!) I am having some trouble finding champagne colored bridesmaid dresses, though.  Would love to hear where you've found yours! Best of luck on your lovely wedding.
  • Champagne was a popular color for BM dresses about 10 years ago. Obviously, lots of people have done it and been satisfied with it.

I'm in the same boat as you - I'm probably doing brown or copper BM dresses so my orange flowers will pop.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Thanks for your advice!  I've been looking around and found that David's Bridal has champagne colored bridesmaid dresses.
  • I think champagne dresses are  very pretty but as someone with rather "winter" skintone, I'd personally dread wearing the color.

Instead, I'd go for merlot dresses that can be accented with a gold sash or ribbon on the bouquet. 
  • Have you thought about Latte? I was going back and forth between Champagne and Latte then changed my mind completely in the end. Your colors sound GORGEOUS!
  • As banana mentioned, champagne can look really awful on some skin tones. I'd definitely ask your BMs to try it on before you get your heart set on it. But assuming it looks good on all of them, I think it would look fine in terms of contrasting with your dress.
  • FWIW, I wore a Latte colored BM dress from David's Bridal for a wedding last fall...  the color of the dress really washed me out in the photos.  I would agree with pp, be aware of your BMs skin tone - and what the skin tones will be like in the fall.  I have great color in the summer, but by the end of October, I am pale.  And lighter colors really don't look good on some people...  just some food for thought. 

But, your colors sound pretty...  There are some great dresses on JCrew (they had several pale Champagne dresses on sale).
  • Caymans has a good point.  I am quite a few shades lighter by October as well.  Have them try on the champagne, but also be open to Merlot dresses with white/champagne flowers in case the champagne doesn't work out.
  • Also, keep in mind that the contrast is what will make flowers pop.  A dress in a shade of red with white/cream flowers will look just fantastic and it may be something that flatters your BMs as well.

• I did champagne dresses from DB if you want to view my bio.  My colors were black/champagne with all white flowers.
  • Did you hold the champagne dresses against your dress to compare?  My friend did that for her wedding when she wanted to do champagne and decided not to get them anymore because they were too close in color.
      I also liked champage, but as stated in pp's, did not want my bm's to look washed out.  I decied to go with a color called venetian gold (by Dessy).  It's a little darker than champage.
  • One of my girls is wearing champagne from Bill Levkoff, and it looks great on her. However, she has dark skin and dark hair, so it's pretty flattering on her.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • My cousin had a white dress & had her bridesmaids in champagne and it was really pretty.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_champagne-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:98c3af34-26f6-4b6d-81db-1a14582e2b11Post:36677853-5dda-40d9-a376-ae741af28dfd">Re: Champagne Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW, I wore a Latte colored BM dress from David's Bridal for a wedding last fall...  the color of the dress really washed me out in the photos.  I would agree with pp, be aware of your BMs skin tone - and what the skin tones will be like in the fall.  I have great color in the summer, but by the end of October, I am pale.  And lighter colors really don't look good on some people...  just some food for thought.  But, your colors sound pretty...  There are some great dresses on JCrew (they had several pale Champagne dresses on sale).
    Posted by caymans_christy[/QUOTE]
    This is true too - I originally was thinking latte dresses for my bridesmaids, but when my sister tried it on, she completely disappeared.  I ended up putting them in truffle so they could be seen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards