Plus-Sized

I am proud of my curves!

Hey everyone I am brand new to this board. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have gained about 50 lbs and went from a size 9 to a 16. I am asthmatic and have rheumatoid arthritis making it hard for me to do high impact work outs. I am very well aware that my mom's family is curvy and I have come to the conclusion that I am build like my mom. I don't have a problem with that because I don't wannabe be a twig. In my opinion a girl needs some meat on her bones. 

Now comes to the negative part of this post. I weight the most I have ever weighted in my life. This really hurts my self esteem I can't stand looking in the mirror. I see the weight in my face stomach back and thighs. I have cut soda and sweets out of my diet and try to only eat things that are sugar free, low in fat or fat free. I have been drinking lots of water and still putting on weight. We have a gym in our apartment complex and I go down and work out on the treadmill, elliptical and bicycles. It honestly doesn't seem like it's helping. If anyone could give me advise & tips I would be so thankful.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: I am proud of my curves!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_i-am-proud-of-my-curves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:d061a712-532c-4a8b-9045-a0c671a22a46Post:b9f6025b-0160-44fa-8b91-030dc841f4da">I am proud of my curves!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone I am brand new to this board. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have gained about 50 lbs and went from a size 9 to a 16. I am asthmatic and have rheumatoid arthritis making it hard for me to do high impact work outs. I am very well aware that my mom's family is curvy and I have come to the conclusion that I am build like my mom. I don't have a problem with that because I don't wannabe be a twig. In my opinion a girl needs some meat on her bones.    Now comes to the negative part of this post. I weight the most I have ever weighted in my life. This really hurts my self esteem I can't stand looking in the mirror. I see the weight in my face stomach back and thighs. I have cut soda and sweets out of my diet and try to only eat things that are sugar free, low in fat or fat free. I have been drinking lots of water and<strong> still putting on weight</strong>. We have a gym in our apartment complex and I go down and work out on the treadmill, elliptical and bicycles. It honestly doesn't seem like it's helping. If anyone could give me advise & tips I would be so thankful.
    Posted by CandieR90[/QUOTE]

Have you seen a doctor?  It's all about calories in and calories out. If you are eating right and working out, something isn't right.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_i-am-proud-of-my-curves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:d061a712-532c-4a8b-9045-a0c671a22a46Post:b9f6025b-0160-44fa-8b91-030dc841f4da">I am proud of my curves!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone I am brand new to this board. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have gained about 50 lbs and went from a size 9 to a 16. I am asthmatic and have rheumatoid arthritis making it hard for me to do high impact work outs. I am very well aware that my mom's family is curvy and I have come to the conclusion that I am build like my mom. I don't have a problem with that because I don't wannabe be a twig. In my opinion a girl needs some meat on her bones.    Now comes to the negative part of this post. I weight the most I have ever weighted in my life. This really hurts my self esteem I can't stand looking in the mirror. I see the weight in my face stomach back and thighs. I have cut soda and sweets out of my diet and try to only eat things that are sugar free, low in fat or fat free. I have been drinking lots of water and still putting on weight. We have a gym in our apartment complex and I go down and work out on the treadmill, elliptical and bicycles. It honestly doesn't seem like it's helping. If anyone could give me advise & tips I would be so thankful.
    Posted by CandieR90[/QUOTE]

I can totally empathize with you on this. I been living with fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis (similar to rheumatoid arthritis) for the past 4 years and I have gained around 90 lbs since then. The mirror is my enemy since I hate looking at how my body has changed. I have gained in the same areas you mentioned, especially my stomach.

I went thru 40 days of the HCG treatment, and it worked. I lost 35 lbs. However, because of medications on and off, I gained 15 of those pounds back. I went on it again but it didn't work as well the second time, partially because I got tired of just having 500 calories a day. The way to weight loss is portion control, and cutting out as much carbs as you can - breads, pasta, soda, cookies, and try to go for more salads and baked meat. Stay away from cold cuts. Grapefruits, strawberries and apples are good fruits, but try to stay away from the very sweet ones likes bananas, grapes, peaches, etc. If you could walk a mile at least 3 times a week until you build stamina, it will help too. With medical conditions, it is hard to work out, but walking with good shoes does bring forth more energy and you will feel better. Hope this helps a bit. If you want to keep in touch, I'm at justbcuz2012@ gmail.com. Have a great day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_i-am-proud-of-my-curves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:d061a712-532c-4a8b-9045-a0c671a22a46Post:b9f6025b-0160-44fa-8b91-030dc841f4da">I am proud of my curves!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone I am brand new to this board. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have gained about 50 lbs and went from a size 9 to a 16. I am asthmatic and have rheumatoid arthritis making it hard for me to do high impact work outs. I am very well aware that my mom's family is curvy and I have come to the conclusion that I am build like my mom. I don't have a problem with that because I don't wannabe be a twig. In my opinion a girl needs some meat on her bones.    Now comes to the negative part of this post. I weight the most I have ever weighted in my life. This really hurts my self esteem I can't stand looking in the mirror. I see the weight in my face stomach back and thighs. I have cut soda and sweets out of my diet and<strong> try to only eat things that are sugar free, low in fat or fat free.</strong> I have been drinking lots of water and still putting on weight. We have a gym in our apartment complex and I go down and work out on the treadmill, elliptical and bicycles. It honestly doesn't seem like it's helping. If anyone could give me advise & tips I would be so thankful.
    Posted by CandieR90[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Bolded might actually be an issue. There are numerous studies out there that overly processed foods like these aren't always better for you just because they're "sugar free" or "fat free". Your body actually needs a certain amount of sugars and fats to function properly, and a little bit of fat/sugar is actually better than the chemicals they use to replace it with in fat/sugar free products.</div><div>
    </div><div>Research "clean eating" to learn more about this - I'm hardly an expert.</div><div>
    </div><div>as a PP mentioned, it's also all about calories. I recommend signing up on a site like myfitnesspal.com and food tracking - you may think you're eating healthy but if your portions are way off that would be why you're not seeing any changes.</div><div>
    </div><div>Goodluck!

</div>
  • Low carb high protein worked for me!
  • The issue with low carb high protein is I love breads, pasta and stuff like that.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • The unfortunate truth is that, when you have major health issues its not always as easy as what everyone would like it to seem to lose weight. I had a similar experience with weight gain 12 years ago. I has a back injury that made it to where I could barely walk for about 6 moghts. I went from super active to no activity. Then just as I was getting back to where I was walking ok I found out I had fibromyalgia and a whole list of other health issues. I had at that point alread put on 100 lbs from being idle in those past 6 moths. Then I started taking meds that made it a real struggle. I finally got about 50 of the pounds off, but after that my weight fluctuated up and down all the time. It depends a lot on what meds I am on and how much money I have to invest in what type of food is in my fridge, and how I am feeling and how much I am able to exercise. There can be so many issue that can cause weight gain. Make sure your doctor does a full blood panel to rule any sort of healt related issue out.

?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • Check out the book Choose to Lose. My friends are I are following the eating plan and are having great results! We get to eat carbs at each meal, but only every other day. Tricks the body into losing. Try it!
  • My fiance and I tried going low-carb for a month last winter.  We both lost quite a bit of weight, but were kind of miserable completely eliminating carbs from our diet (he loves pasta, I love bread and baking is my favorite hobby).  So now we're trying kind of a modified approach.  We're trying to go low carb for breakfast and lunch everyday, and only having carbs a couple of times a week with dinner.  We're not losing weight as rapidly, but it's helping and we're pretty happy.  I've cut back on my baking as well.

I have a skin condition which prevents me from sweating, so working out is hard for me.  I've started doing some light weightlifting and balance ball expersizes in the mornings.  It's not strenuous enough that I get overheated, but I can feel the burn every day.  I'm hoping as I shed some pounds, it will take more to overheat myself and I can work out a little more over time without being miserable.
  • I'm doing weight watchers and have lost almost 20lbs so far.  They've got a really great app for my phone that helps me decide what foods to eat for the day.  This afternoon I went to the grocery store for bread and compared some of the low fat breads with the regular and whole wheat breads and found that even though they were low in fat, they were very high in points.  (I get 33 a day and the low fat bread was 5 pts for 2 pieces compared to 3 pts for regular and 2 pts for the sprouted grain I decided on.)

I haven't had to cut anything out, just cut my portion sizes (a kitchen scale really helps!) and remember to move every day.

I've also heard great things about myfitnesspal.com

.  :-)  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards