Ohio-Toledo

QOTD 5/13

How did you/your FI propose?

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: QOTD 5/13

• cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

He asked me to go with him one day to look at rings and give my opinions.  This was no surprise as we had been dating for over 4 years, lived together and had talked about marriage.  We window shopped that day and he went back and bought something a few days later.  When the ring came in, we went to go pick it up and he proposed to me right in the parking lot of the jewelry store.  Neither one of us can handle surprises so I'm glad he didn't try to plan something elaborate! 

I know it was July of 2008... but I don't know the exact date.  Is that strange?  Do others remember the date of their proposal?

• edited December 2011
    He took me to Jamaica for my 30th birthday.  It's funny cause I wanted him to propose then, but I really didn't think he would.  We NEVER talked about it, I just said daily how much I wanted to marry him and I couldn't wait forever.  So, the 2nd morning of our trip, while he was in the shower I realized that if he had a ring with him, it'd be in the safe and I knew the code to the safe so there must not be a ring.  So I got out of bed in a horrible mood.  He immedietly started ordering up drinks at breakfast... a bloody mary, a momosa....anything to cheer me up.  We got down to the pool and as soon as I got all lathered up and had my reading material ready to go, he asked me to go for a walk.  I said no at first, but finally gave in.... still moody.  We walked down to this little spot on the beach and were just standing there together and all of the sudden he says 'hey' and I looked him and looked down at his hand and he was holding the ring.  I was shocked.  Afterwards, we went up to the bar and had a bottle of champagne.  A guy asked us what we were celebrating and when we told him, he said he was there to get married on Friday.  We took it as a sign.  I still get giddy when I look at the pics from that moment.

This is a GREAT question.  I could tell this story a million times.  (clearly I love too, my long post, haha)

I do remember the day, only because it was the day before I turned 30!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is awesome!! 
  • nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My guy had the ring for months. Showed it to everyone. Blabbed about it...so I knew the proposal was coming.  About 2 months later, last April, we went away for spring break...figured he would propose. Nothing. 

Then in May he schedules a "date night." Riverboat in Detroit...all the members of his old band were going to be there...his lead singer was acutally playing there with his new band.  Romantic dinner before hand and all night long he's talking about how the night was "all about me."  I figured he'd propose.  Nothing.

By this time...I was admittedly getting a little irritated with the whole business.

I was rather short with him after the Detroit night and he says he needs to talk to me...takes me to Wildwood so we could walk.  (He's not originally from Toledo, so he had never been to Wildwood.) He sees the gazebo and asks about it...I responded snottily something like "That's where people get married."

He wants to see it...and I'm thinking, Great...rub some salt in the wound.

That was when he finally got on one knee and proposed!  Took me completely by surprise...which was what he had been trying to do, but I pretty much always knew when he was going to.  It ended up being very sweet and memorable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I went to study in Florence, Italy for a second time in grad school.  We started dating the first time during undergrad and that's were we started dating.  He came out to visit me for a week around Thanksgiving of 2008.  I figured he would propose at some point during the week, but wasn't sure when.  The second full day he was there he took me to the restaurant we frequented while starting out 2 years before and then by the Arno river under a bridge that is good for getting away from it all.  We had 3 friends with us so I didn't expect anything.  I turned around from the river and our friends had left.  I asked FI if we should follow and he said he had a question for me first.  He got down on his knee and proposed!  He still has the stain on the pair of pants from the ground that night.
  • edited December 2011

It was my birthday weekend, he said he was taking me to lunch, a movie, and then to dinner. I didn't eat much at lunch cuz we were going to one of my favorite places for dinner. After the movie, we went there and he said it was too crowd, let's fine somewhere with less people. He drove around for 2 hours saying every place was too busy. I got upset with him and told him I just wanted to go to my friends house. We got in a fight and I started crying and we barely spoke the whole ride home. My friend lived next door to us, so when we got home, I went over there. All my friends were there waiting for me with a huge surprise party! As I'm in shock of that, he comes up behind me with the ring and ask me.

• edited December 2011
    My fiance proposed to me while we were on vacation in Treasure Island, FL.  It will be a time in our lives we will never forget.  He asked if I wanted to go for a walk on the beach at sunset and I we were both feeling really yucky as we both got so toasty burnt that day from the sun and we both felt sick to our stomachs, but I said sure...how many opportunities do we get to walk on the beach at sunset?  So, while we were walking along the beach he said that he had something to ask me and that's when he proposed to me!!  I couldn't have thought of a better way to get engaged even though instead of wanting to say yes I felt like throwing up lol!!  What a story we will have for our kids someday about how sick and burnt we were!!  We spent the entire next day in bed though as we couldn't move, we both had bad blisters, and we didn't eat for over a day as we felt so yucky...I seriously think we had sun poisoning!  Oh well...we survived and we couldn't of had a more beautiful setting for when we got engaged! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards