Canada-Ontario

Marriage Ceritificate?

For already married Ontario/Toronto brides, how long after your wedding did you receive you Marriage Certificate (NOT license)?

Re: Marriage Ceritificate?

• edited December 2011
    Hi there,

After you've been married 10 weeks you have to order it online. Your minister/officiant is responsible for registering your marriage with the province, which takes about 10 weeks. Go to this website to order yours:
    https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do
     After I ordered ours it took about 3 days to arrive.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Over 3 months - married in August, received at the end of November.

I called several times to check the status, and each time they told me a different story. Jerkfaces.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My church submitted all of the paperwork to register the marriage AND order the certificate on my behalf. You might actually get it faster if you go Preppy's route and order the certificate yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • nationalvixennationalvixen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need mine rather quickly as we will be leaving the country a few weeks after our wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    You could go online and order it as soon as you're married, but it takes 10 weeks for the province to register your marriage, if you know the address where you will be you could put that as the address for them to mail it to, but they won't be able to send it to you until the marriage has been registered.

Good Luck, Are you moving out of the country?
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The day of your wedding you will recieve a Record of Solemnization (it's attached to your marriage license paperwork) that might be sufficient.

What do you need your certificate for when you leave?
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was told the same information by the priest who is marrying me and my FI. What he did say (which is really shocking) is that the registrar has thousands and thousands of bags full of marriage licesnes that are waiting for be looked at and registered. You have to wait 3 months until you can certify your marriage. They won't even look at it if it hasn't been 3 months. Sorry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_marriage-ceritificate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:51db989b-1f8d-4250-8e1a-5442bca3fe9cPost:8dc79956-09dc-42ad-be5e-9630bb7cb438">Re: Marriage Ceritificate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was told the same information by the priest who is marrying me and my FI. What he did say (which is really shocking) is that<strong> the registrar has thousands and thousands of bags full of marriage licesnes that are waiting for be looked at and registered. </strong>You have to wait 3 months until you can certify your marriage. They won't even look at it if it hasn't been 3 months. Sorry!
    Posted by amanda.loughlin[/QUOTE]

LOL.... yep. As I mentioned, I called several times to find out the status, and they told me stories like "Your marriage has been registered so now it's probably processing".

Which means that it was sitting on someone's desk, waiting to be printed. FOR 3 MONTHS.

But ditto raynes, the Record of Solemnization might be sufficient if you really need some proof of marriage. There's really nothing you can do to speed up the process of getting the long form.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's a good idea Raynes, I forgot about that. I couldn't use the record of solemnization for official things like changing bank accounts/driver's license, but it could be useful for other "proof".
  • edited December 2011
    Arg, three months?? That's such a pain... I get back from my honeymoon on October 10th, and my passport expires in May 2011 (which effectively means November 2010, since it needs to be valid for 6 months after you travel). There's  a weekend girls' trip in the works for sometime in November, and I was hoping that I could get the new passport WITH name change in that time period, but not if I won't yet have my marriage certificate. So that means two new passports within just a couple of months - what a waste of money!
    I ditto ring_pop's "jerkfaces." Smile
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • flyjawnflyjawn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we never ordered one!  lol....

i just ordered my certificate from my first marriage (to file our divorce) and i paid a bit extra to have it arrive in 5 days.

of course that was 6 years after we got married so not helpful info!
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that with our marriage certificate it says it was registered on September 29th (our wedding was Aug 29th) so we might have been able to order it earlier than we did (I waited the suggested 10 weeks) but I don't think there's any guarantee.

dougie, I'd say just hold on to your maiden name passport for a bit.  You might also want to check with someone about being allowed to use your passport as is (with the expiry in May).  I'm fairly certain that when my brother's gf traveled to New Zealand earlier this summer that she was told it had to be valid for a shorter time than 6 months from her return (her's was only, like 2 weeks, so she couldn't fly out when she wanted to and had to get a rush passport on a Saturday!)
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nationalvixennationalvixen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ah, frusterating.
    Yes my Fi is not a Canadian citizen and is only on a Visa. We are going to eave the country and stay in his native country while we apply for his Permanent Residency and then come back to Canada whenever that happens.
    But in order to apply, we need the marriage certificate as well as other things.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_marriage-ceritificate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:51db989b-1f8d-4250-8e1a-5442bca3fe9cPost:6973ba52-e050-4c4b-9d9c-bc6c7922a1c1">Re: Marriage Ceritificate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]dougie, I'd say just hold on to your maiden name passport for a bit.  You might also want to check with someone about being allowed to use your passport as is (with the expiry in May).  I'm fairly certain that when my brother's gf traveled to New Zealand earlier this summer that she was told it had to be valid for a shorter time than 6 months from her return (her's was only, like 2 weeks, so she couldn't fly out when she wanted to and had to get a rush passport on a Saturday!)
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that. All the boys are going to Vegas next weekend for my FI's bachelor party, so the wives are looking into something like a 4-day weekend trip to the Bahamas sometime in November so we can have our fun too. (I didn't want a bachelorette party, so that will be my trip instead.)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards