Not Engaged Yet

<3 Donor

Yesterday I became an organ donor.

I had intended to do this after H's dad passed away back in 2009, but put it off until I had another reason to update my license (my new name!). Sort of a lame reason to wait 3 years, but the DMV is a stressful place.

Are you an organ donor? Why or why not? I don't think anyone in my family is, but H's dad received a kidney transplant back in the 90s and got to live a bit longer because of it. So that is one reason H has always been one. <3

When I originally got my license I was instructed not to check that box by my parents, and then I never really considered it until I learned H's dad's story.

Re: &amp;lt;3 Donor

• Yep, I'm an organ donor. Everyone in my family is too; we are very pro-donation. We're a cremating family, so there's no point in burning something that can be of use to someone. They can pick me over however they'd like as long as someone will be helped.

I don't think that I could be a live donor, however. I'd always be afraid that I'd have my one remaining kidney go bad or something. I'm a registered bone marrow donor, but that's as far as I'll go while alive.

And on that note, everyone should be registered to give bone marrow too. If you haven't registered, it's super easy. You just swab the inside of your cheek and send it to them. Bone marrow donations are also mostly via blood now, not cracking into your pelvis or anything. If you'd like to register, here's the site: http://marrow.org/Join/Join_the_Registry.aspx

• I am an organ donor and have been on the bone marrow registry for about 10 years.

My DD and I may well need kidney transplants one day because of a heriditary disease that runs in our family.  Available organs have special meaning to us.  I can't donate my kidneys or liver, but everything else is good to go and I want anything that can be used to be harvested.

One thing that is vital - you MUST talk to your next of kin about this, even if you sign your license.  They can stop any organ harvesting and over rule your decision. You must discuss it with them and make sure they know this is what you want and ask them to ensure your wishes are followed.

I hope everyone will give this some consideration.
  • I am. My family is very much against it - but they can screw off. I've mentioned that they are very very very southern baptist. Their thinking is that God brought you into the world like that, you should leave like that.

I don't buy into that. If I can save some other poor mother/father/etc. from having to go through what my family is - how can I not?? The organs are no use to me anymore.

Stillwell, you rock. Just saying.
  • I am and have made my opinions known about it to FI and my family...I just don't see why I would need any of my organs if I'm dead.  KWIM?
  • I'm an organ donor.  Some reasons against organ donoring make me very stabby.  I don't see why I need my organs if I'm brain dead.

I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I'm an organ donor & I'm registered to donate bone marrow. 

• I don't think I am an organ donor, not sure why.  Im getting my license renewed next month anyway.

Anniversary

• Yes I'm registered for both organ donation and bone marrow. I can't give blood in America but they'll take my marrow and organs...

My mom would donate my organs without a problem. She's the only one I've talked about it with, and I know she wants to donate her own, but I guess my Dad is on the same page. I'll talk about it with bf tonight.
  • I'm also an organ donor.  Stillwell, thanks for posting the bone marrow registry info....I'm not currently registered but I'm going to do that now. 
    Anniversary
  • I've been an organ donor since I first got my license when I was sixteen. I didn't even ask my parents about checking that box I just told them that I was going to. Everyone in my family and all my friends know that it's important to me - I talk about it a lot. It is a really important issue to me. In fact early on in mine and BF's relationship I asked if he was an organ donor because I'm not sure I could have been in a serious relationship with someone who was against it or apathetic about it.

Most people I know who aren't donors have ridiculous reasons that make me really mad. You're dead, you don't need the organs. Someone else has still got a chance to live why would you deny them that just so your organs can rot in the ground? I could rant about this forever but I will spare you ladies and get off my soap box.

I would also be willing to be a living donor for someone, although I don't know if I could do it for a stranger, and I've registered to be a bone marrow donor.

Irish - Your family should know that the official position of the Baptist church is pro-donation (as it is with most major religions).

• So many donors. That is interesting to me. I would think a lot of people felt uncomfortable giving up parts of themselves.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:3918a257-89c8-4d0c-88d6-30c41d9c7acb">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been an organ donor since I first got my license when I was sixteen. I didn't even ask my parents about checking that box I just told them that I was going to. Everyone in my family and all my friends know that it's important to me - I talk about it a lot. It is a really important issue to me. In fact early on in mine and BF's relationship I asked if he was an organ donor because I'm not sure I could have been in a serious relationship with someone who was against it or apathetic about it. Most people I know who aren't donors have ridiculous reasons that make me really mad. You're dead, you don't need the organs. Someone else has still got a chance to live why would you deny them that just so your organs can rot in the ground? I could rant about this forever but I will spare you ladies and get off my soap box. I would also be willing to be a living donor for someone, although I don't know if I could do it for a stranger, and I've registered to be a bone marrow donor. <strong>Irish - Your family should know that the official position of the Baptist church is pro-donation </strong>(as it is with most major religions).
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA that sounds about typical. My family is very bassackwards in their thinking sometimes. It irritates the craaaaaaaap out of me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:d919753a-cf97-413e-a885-2a4f42e4b152">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]So many donors. That is interesting to me. I would think a lot of people felt uncomfortable giving up parts of themselves.
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

But when you die, you're not yourself anymore. Your body is not you, and I wish people would understand that. People are so materialistic, even when it comes to dead bodies :|. There's all this talk about the spirit and the soul moving on, but people don't seem to realize that what is left is no longer the person you knew and loved. It's a body. Nothing more, nothing less. People need pieces of that body so that their loved ones can continue living.

I DON'T GET IT :|.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:de1c17d5-a93b-4394-b2b1-d62d227c913c">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: <3 Donor : But when you die, you're not yourself anymore. Your body is not you, and I wish people would understand that. People are so materialistic, even when it comes to dead bodies :|. There's all this talk about the spirit and the soul moving on, but people don't seem to realize that what is left is no longer the person you knew and loved. It's a body. Nothing more, nothing less. People need pieces of that body so that their loved ones can continue living. I DON'T GET IT :|.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

I hear that, but like when I saw my great uncle at his wake, that was him. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that it wasn't him any more. I guess I dunno if I even believe that it isn't? I dunno where his organs were at that time.
  • I absolutely am. It's really, really, important to me, actually. PP is right about talking to your family, though. They're ultimately the ones who make the decision. The box on your license is one way to make your wishes known, but they can't take your organs if your family doesn't consent. 

On that note, I think it's really important to talk to your family about all end of life care, as far as what you would and wouldn't want done, because they're the ones who would making those decisions. If you don't think they would make decisions you would like, designate someone else as your medical POA. 

Also, it makes me SO mad when people say that they don't check the box on their license because they think that medical personnel/emergency responders won't work as hard to save them. First of all, that's insulting to anyone who spends their days working to save peoples life to think for a second that they're going to take the time to even check, much less treat you any differently. Secondly, in order to be an organ donor in the majority of cases, your heart has to be beating, so if they WERE going to treat you differently, it would actually work in your favor.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:6369ce71-977e-454e-b19b-3b5ea2155d1d">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: <3 Donor : I hear that, but like when I saw my great uncle at his wake, that was him. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that it wasn't him any more. I guess I dunno if I even believe that it isn't? I dunno where his organs were at that time.
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

Tyler's grandmother's funeral was the first time I ever saw an embalmed body prepared for putting into the ground. It was just depressing and didn't look anything like her. It was just creepy and awful, and the entire time I was just thinking about my grandpa's funeral where we just had a big party, talked about how cool he was, looked at old pictures and scattered his ashes into the Pacific. It was so nice and we were so happy that he was finally free after being sick for so long. I just felt creeped out seeing the embalmed body, ick.

Cremation's more what my religion leans toward as well, so I think that contributes to the ickiness I feel around embalming and burying bodies. No bueno.

• I am an organ donor. It's so important. So many people can be saved by just one person being a donor. Maybe I feel strongly because I know a girl who has had both a bone marrow transplant as well as a heart transplant. Both the living donor and the donor that passed, saved her life. Organs are useless once the person is passed, but if they are removed, they can keep someone else alive. There really is nothing greater.
  • I'm a registered organ and marrow donor.  I also donate blood 5 - 6 times a year (hey, free cookies!). 

I'm like Still -- I've really never understood opposition to organ donation.  I get that it's an emotional thing and not a rational one; it's just an emotion I've never experienced.

I will admit, though, that my grandfather's funeral was...  strange.  He donated his body to a medical school, so we didn't have a body or ashes for the funeral and it felt surreal.  There was nothing to do after the service (no body to bury, no ashes to scatter) and no indication that my grandfather was actually dead and not just absent.  I had a weird case of the giggles the whole time.  I'm still really proud of my grandfather for that, though.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:3f610ca7-0345-464e-9eb6-b196813f10a7">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, I'm an organ donor. Everyone in my family is too; we are very pro-donation. We're a cremating family, so there's no point in burning something that can be of use to someone. They can pick me over however they'd like as long as someone will be helped. I don't think that I could be a live donor, however. I'd always be afraid that I'd have my one remaining kidney go bad or something. I'm a registered bone marrow donor, but that's as far as I'll go while alive. And on that note, everyone should be registered to give bone marrow too. If you haven't registered, it's super easy. You just swab the inside of your cheek and send it to them. Bone marrow donations are also mostly via blood now, not cracking into your pelvis or anything. If you'd like to register, here's the site: <a href="http://marrow.org/Join/Join_the_Registry.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://marrow.org/Join/Join_the_Registry.aspx</a>
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Every single bit of this post applies to me as well (except I'm not sure if most of my family are registered donors).</div><div>
    </div><div>I've also tried to donate blood several times since that's something else I can do while still alive, but I haven't been successful on that front yet.  My most recent attempt a few weeks ago, my veins were too small.  I won't be able to attempt for another year because we are going to a malaria area on Saturday, but I'll give it another go in about a year...

</div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:fee0bbf9-0536-4482-bb5e-2ed47693c857">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: <3 Donor :  I won't be able to attempt for another year because we are going to a malaria area on Saturday, but I'll give it another go in about a year...
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, I was down for the count on blood donation for three years after I had malaria. I was happy when I was able to donate again. They've been asking me to give platelets again, but my platelets are naturally so low that I don't know about doing that again even though it's really needed. I need to go donate blood again too, but I don't trust the phlebotomists at the Red Cross right now because of lies they said about my veins :|.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:8c751fea-d0c0-4c2c-936b-6f6fde33d068">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am an organ donor and have been on the bone marrow registry for about 10 years. My DD and I may well need kidney transplants one day because of a heriditary disease that runs in our family.  Available organs have special meaning to us.  I can't donate my kidneys or liver, but everything else is good to go and I want anything that can be used to be harvested.<strong> One thing that is vital - you MUST talk to your next of kin about this, even if you sign your license.  They can stop any organ harvesting and over rule your decision. You must discuss it with them and make sure they know this is what you want and ask them to ensure your wishes are followed</strong>. I hope everyone will give this some consideration.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

This!  We lost a close friend 2 years ago while she was waiting for a liver transplant.

I've been a regular blood donor since my son was less than a year old, so about 25 years!  I would do it every 8 weeks, as allowed. It becomes more & more difficult each time due to scar tissue but I try to do it at least twice a year now.
    Anniversary
  • I am an organ donor too. I can see why some people would be against it, but I feel if I can help save someone elses life when I pass then, that's an amazing gift I can give to someone. I would hope if I am ever in the postion of needing an organ that I will be lucky enough to get one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_3-donor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:21628bfd-c462-4a48-ad12-f328618ddc51Post:8b0c9bf1-b431-43b0-ab79-1bcccd749fc1">Re: <3 Donor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am an organ donor too. <strong>I can see why some people would be against it,</strong> but I feel if I can help save someone elses life when I pass then, that's an amazing gift I can give to someone. I would hope if I am ever in the postion of needing an organ that I will be lucky enough to get one.
    Posted by steign[/QUOTE]

I don't.

• I am an organ doner. Im not using them if Im dead, so I dont see why they shouldnt go to a good cause. It would make me happy to know that someone got another chance at life because of me from beyond the grave.
  • I'm an organ donor.  I never thought about not being one.  It was just something I always wanted to do.

I'm not a bone marrow donor though, and I don't give blood.  I tend to pass out after one tube, so giving a pint has always been a little...daunting to me.
    I french with my man
  • I'm an organ donor. So is FI. It was never really even a question for either of us - when you're dead you don't need your organs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I am definitely an organ donor and never thought twice about it.  A friend of mine was able to beat all odds and fight off cystic fibrosis for many years thanks to two lung transplants (her body had started rejecting the first one).  Without those donors, she wouldn't have made it to be a teenager and she managed to finish high school, go to college, travel a little and get married before she passed away in her 20s.  

You ladies are awesome and make me smile :)
  • I'm an organ donor and registered at bethematch.org (same site that Stillwell posted, with their new name).  I don't donate blood because I don't weigh enough.  I've also passed out from normal blood draws and get woozy just seeing IVs.  However, I'd figure something out if I matched to someone for bone marrow because I'll recover if I pass out.  
  • I'm late to this game, but I'm a donor! I told my family that when I pass, the doctors should take everything possible. All organs, eyeballs, face, whatever they need...
  • I am a donor along with everyone else in my family that I know of.  I have also made it clear to my brother, parents and my boyfriend that I want to be a donor and what my wishes are.  It was never really a question for me, I won't need my organs anyways.  Also my cousin received a heart transplant when she was 10 and knowing she was going to get a transplant gave my family and her a lot of hope.  Unfortunately during the transplant the surgeon nicked the heart and she was not able to recover and passes away a few days later but her needing a transplant was when I first knew I wanted to be a donor and how important it was(i was 12).

I am not registered to donate bown marrow but I plan to sign up now so thanks.  I have also tried to donate blood many times but have pretty much given up because my veins are so small, deep and move around so much they can never get one, just ends up with lots of stabbing.  I have trouble with even regular blood draws.

When looking at the stuff for donating bone marrow I was also kind of sad to see that it said men who have had sex with men within the last 5 years can not register to be donors.  I am surprised the medical community is still thinking this way and it makes me kind of sad, especially thinking of lives that could have been saved. YMMV of course
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards