Plus-Sized

Plus Size (size 22) Bride Scared of Dress Shopping!

Help! Any suggestions for bridal salons that carry my size to try on in San Francisco Bay Area?? Is it better to order a dress online and just pay for alterations? Or maybe custome made?

All suggestions welcome :) Thanks!

Re: Plus Size (size 22) Bride Scared of Dress Shopping!

• QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to Re:Plus Size size 22 Bride Scared of Dress Shopping!:Help! Any suggestions for bridal salons that carry my size to try on in San Francisco Bay Area?? Is it better to order a dress online and just pay for alterations? Or maybe custome made?All suggestions welcome : Thanks! Posted by wbishop24 I wouldn't suggest ordering anything online. You just never know how things are going to hang on your body. I would suggest Trudy's in campbell. Its worth the drive. They have a great plus size selection. Also Blossoms in Dublin has a decent selection as well. If you feel like making the drive to Roseville, there is an Alfred Angelo signature store that has an awesome selection of their plus size gowns.
  • Hey there,

You should try posting this on your Local Board as well. Also, like PP I wouldn't suggest ording online. My SIL went to the store to try on dresses and found the one she loved, got the model number, and ordered it online for cheaper and it worked great for her. But keep in mind once that money is gone, it's gone.

Good luck to you!
  • Definately find s plus size store in your area.  Even if you have to drive 2 hours or more.  The experience is worth it and you won"t have to stress out.
  • I can't tell you any specific places to go as I live on the east coast, but I have three pieces of advice to share:

1) Call your local gown shops and just flat out ask if they have samples in your size.  You might be surprised who does (or doesn't) cater to the plus sized crowd.  Get the names/codes for the specific plus size samples so you can check the gowns out online.  It's a process, but it'll save you some aggravation in the long run.

2) Wear some comfortable Spanx or shapewear on the day of your appointment.  It'll make the getting dressed process more quick and easy

3) Bring a supportive entourage.  Avoid anybody who's downer, cynic, or otherwise brings the mood down.  Having a happy crew can help keep spirits.

I was hesistant about gown shopping too, but I stuck to these three tenets and had a great time and found a great dress in the end :)
    *** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is a place in Roseville that is a plus size only dress store.  It's called Sparkle Bridal Couture.  I've heard nothing but great things about them.  I haven't gone only cause it's way outside my budget...   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_plus-size-size-22-bride-scared-of-dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:e7148512-589f-4482-af5e-a0156b8e680ePost:678bceac-241b-4b29-b149-0edb46b15f8d">Plus Size (size 22) Bride Scared of Dress Shopping!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Help! Any suggestions for bridal salons that carry my size to try on in San Francisco Bay Area?? Is it better to order a dress online and just pay for alterations? Or maybe custome made? All suggestions welcome :) Thanks!
    Posted by wbishop24[/QUOTE]

I order a lot of things online-but ordering a wedding dress online is not an option! LoL
    Call the boutiques ahead of time and let them know you are a plus size and see if they have sample dresses you can try on. I am not a plus size but even i couldn't fit into a few of the sample dresses! the boutiques should have samples in all sizes so no one feels bad!
  • Davids Bridal and Alfred Angelo carry Women's plus sizes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey girl! Like many other posters have said, I'd definitely do your research to find a plus-size bridal shop.  I went to David's Bridal and could not try a single dress on that I liked simply because I'm a 26. I left feeling huge, unattractive, and like I'd never find a dress.  However, I did some research, found a plus-size store and it was a complete 180 experience! I felt beautiful! Try contacting some wedding shops and ask if they have dresses you can try on in your size or ask if they know of any plus size shops in the area.  I also agree with everyone else to not order online.  You never know how something will look---something you love on the hanger may do nothing for you!  Good luck, girl!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah. I totally understand the other posters, but for me, I dislike being fawned on (my preception) in a boutique or store.  I have a minor in Fashion Design, and I absolutely know/knew what would look good on me, so I designed my own dress and found a seamstress to make it.  It so happens she does many plus-sized garments (MOB, BM, Bridal etc.) and many custom pieces. 

If you find a dress you love (online) and can't find it in your size or it's discontinued, you could consider ordering it custom made by this woman or someone local.  You'd have to send her images/inks, and get an accurate (professional) local fitting, and fill in a size chart she'd e-mail you.  It would be made to fit, meaning little or no alterations needed.  She's in Michigan, not an overseas Chinese company who is suspect to deception or miscommunication.  Her name is Janet.  WWW.mybigfatbeautifulwedding.com, and please, if you end up using her, please tell her Ella sent you. :) Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards