Moms and Maids

I want a wedding party, he doesn't

I am currently in discussion with my fiance about whether or not we are going to have a wedding party. He doesn' think it is necessary, but I have two sisters that I would really like to be my bridesmaids, or something very close to it. Does anyone have any good ideas on a compromise? I'm not completely wedded to the idea of having bridesmaids, but it is important to me for them to have a role. Thoughts?

Re: I want a wedding party, he doesn't

• If he is really against it maybe you could have your sisters do a reading. Two different readings would be fine.
  • You have your sisters as BM's and he chooses not to have anyone on his side.  Sides don't have to be even.  Problem solved.
  • Our sides were not even. I had my 2 best friends stand with me, and he had his best friend (a woman) stand with him. It's fine. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sides don't have to be even. Your FI doesn't have to have any groomsmen for you to have bridesmaids. Also, this really isn't something he should try to dominate you about. Your BMs are an intimate and personal choice that isn't anyone else's to make but yours.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Ask your two sisters.  If he doesn't want anyone on his side then that is fine.  Like others have said, sides do not have to be even.

It would extremely rude of him to basically tell you that you aren't allowed to have your sisters be your BMs if that is what you really want.

• He doesn't have to have people stand with him if he doesn't want to, but he shouldn't be telling you that you can't have anyone. Ask your sisters to be bridesmaids, end of story.
  • I agree with PP's, the most logical solution is to have your sisters, and for him to have no one. If he doesn't want to be completely alone, he could ask a brother, father, or uncle.
    I can't imagine not having my sisters next to me when I got married, no matter what my then-FI wanted to do with his side.
  • You could have your two sisters walk down in the processional, and then sit with your parents, so that there would be only two people up front with the officiant:  you and FI. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards