Snarky Brides
Options

NAACP taking Hallmark to task

On account of this <--click here.

2 things:
1.  That card has been on the shelves for 3 years.  If it really was offensive how was it overlooked for so long?
2.  How the flying fluck did the NAACP get this so wrong?

Thoughts?
kd.joseph's wish is my command
Just call me "Brothel"
And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
my read shelf:
Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task

• Options
    They are really reaching. 
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I think that no celebrities have been racist lately so they got bored and had to start looking for their next available option.
  • Options
    Wow.  So they think when the card is saying "black holes" it's "black whores?"  Really?
  • Options
    Yeaaaaah. Actually, I think I got one of those cards for graduation. I just found it annoying.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's ridiculous to me. I'm sorry. It just is.
  • Options
    Maybe they need hearing aids. I almost bought that one for someone, and I certainly heard "holes". I thought it was funny. But then again I don't go around thinking everyone is just waiting to insult me, and having selective hearing to prove that point.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    i think they need to get over themselves. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:774f2836-8316-4fc5-9316-f4281fb24966">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  So they think when the card is saying "black holes" it's "black whores?"  Really?
    Posted by sarahmk5[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, especially given the context of card.  When the text is all about celestial bodies, it's pretty clear what is being said.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait a minute! Who else voted for the megabitch option?
  • Options

Yes, Cew's a megabitch, but I distinctly heard holes, and the planets better look out.

Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:3003dabb-7e6f-4928-ba8d-09963140a713">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait a minute! Who else voted for the megabitch option?
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]
    Of course it was me.  I couldn't include that option and then not pick it.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Okay. So, then there's you and me. Damn it. Now there's 3!
  • Options
    I agree. They're trying to make a huge deal out of something that's not. Like betrothed said, if this was a major issue, why didn't anyone catch it sooner. Three years is a long time for something like that to float around.
  • Options
    I did, but only because "megabeast" wasn't an option.

WTF NAACP? It's fucking ridiculousness like this that makes your real issues fall to the back and go unnoticed. Fucking idiots.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:2710aca2-ce5f-454b-a26b-1c0219d1a541">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that no celebrities have been racist lately so they got bored and had to start looking for their next available option.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Yup.  NAACP hasn't had much publicity lately.  They have to stir up controversy somewhere.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:92fc9b3d-80e6-4fc9-b496-13accf3ff2cc">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did, but only because "megabeast" wasn't an option. WTF NAACP?<strong> It's fucking ridiculousness like this that makes your real issues fall to the back and go unnoticed</strong>. Fucking idiots.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Someone gave DH and me one of those Mahogany cards for our wedding.  I wonder how the NAACP feels about that.
  • Options
    Wow. They're really grasping at straws for this one.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Wow, so ridiculous. Sounds like someone wanted to get their name back in the papers so they targeted the first thing with the word 'black' in it. I actually lost a little respect for Hallmark for caving and pulling the cards off shelves. Someone should have come back and told the NAACP they are being completel idiots.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:b8c84709-2cd2-4e96-8eb1-014335b7547f">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, so ridiculous. Sounds like someone wanted to get their name back in the papers so they targeted the first thing with the word 'black' in it.<strong> I actually lost a little respect for Hallmark for caving and pulling the cards off shelves. </strong>Someone should have come back and told the NAACP they are being completel idiots.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    OMG yes.  This exactly.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    If you open the card backwards, it says, "Paul is dead."
  • Options
    Why are they sticking up for whores?  that's what I want to know...skanky biitches.

On a serious note, no I don't hear it.  I think they are scrapping the bottom of the barrell for this one. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    This is ridiculous and the naacp's credibility is really taking a hit because of it.  It's the "niggardly" controversy all over again. 
  • Options
    IMO I think this is really ridiculous.  

The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. 

This is the mission statement from the NAACP and I think it's full of shyt.  While there are some good things about the organization, I feel they promote racial hatred more than try to eliminate. 

After the whole Wells Fargo predatory loans and NAACP debacle, I have a hard time taking anything they say serious about helping the black community.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:a0cb1637-8b2a-4361-bf24-5cea0357a0d1">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]IMO I think this is really ridiculous.   The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.   This is the mission statement from the NAACP and I think it's full of shyt.  While there are some good things about the organization, I feel they promote racial hatred more than try to eliminate.  After the whole Wells Fargo predatory loans and NAACP debacle, I have a hard time taking anything they say serious about helping the black community.
    Posted by SheDiva4[/QUOTE]
    I'm so glad you said this.  I couldn't possibly agree more.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Yeah and I could care less if the black community flames me, they know deep down inside they are full of it.  My grandfather is 85 and they things she says about the NACCP would make most gasp and check to see if he really black.
  • Options

Ditto everyone else on the grasping at straws, etc. 

Don't they realize that these antics only serve to deflect from their more worthy causes?  And make them look like idiots so that no one ever takes them seriously...

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:a0cb1637-8b2a-4361-bf24-5cea0357a0d1">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]IMO I think this is really ridiculous.   <strong><u>The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.</u></strong>  This is the mission statement from the NAACP and I think it's full of shyt.  While there are some good things about the organization, I feel they promote racial hatred more than try to eliminate.  After the whole Wells Fargo predatory loans and NAACP debacle, I have a hard time taking anything they say serious about helping the black community.
    Posted by SheDiva4[/QUOTE]

Considering we have a black president, all black universities, etc I think they have fulfilled their mission for awhile and should just relax until something really racist happens.

The NAACP bothers me for reasons just like this Hallmark crap.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I can't believe 10 people voted for the megabitch option!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_naacp-taking-hallmark-task?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:14b6ceb0-fcfa-4af2-97a7-45ed5317e2b0Post:a22feb43-4457-4511-9207-78a194e74f15">Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NAACP taking Hallmark to task : Considering we have a black president, all black universities, etc I think they have fulfilled their mission for awhile and should just relax until something really racist happens. The NAACP bothers me for reasons just like this Hallmark crap.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I think that's a really ignorant statement.  While this trumped-up controversy is a joke, you're not seriously suggesting that the mission of ensuring an end to racism and obtaining equal treatment and equal opportunity for all has been accomplished? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards