Canada-Ontario

Looking for a little reassurance...

Looking for aHey GTA brides… I’m looking for a little reassurance after booking my venue. My fiancé and I signed the papers for a wedding next summer at Scarboro Golf Club (beautiful venue and great price for you brides still looking). Despite it being the best price of everything we’ve looked at, from hotels to halls to restaurants to the even more obscure, my mom seems to be beyond disappointed that we’re spending so much money. Am I crazy or is it impossible to get food, drink and venue in Toronto for under $10,000??? If you’ve done it I’d love to here about it! (I’m sure the other frugal brides would too!)Anyway – just wanting to hear someone say it’s ok to spend a few bucks on the biggest day of your life… and any cost cutting tips are appreciated too! Thanks ladies!!  Sam

Re: Looking for a little reassurance...

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $10k is far less than what I spent on my reception (160 guests, sit down dinner). What are you getting, and how many guests?

For a standard banquet type wedding in Toronto, I think you'd be hard pressed to find prices less than maybe $80pp. Cocktail party maybe $40-$50pp. Yes I'm sure there are other, more creative options for less (I've seen Chinese banquets for about $50pp, for example) but I'm talking in general.

It's OK to spend on your wedding, if you have the money, and if it's important to you. We spent a lot, but in the end we have no regrets. There aren't very many things in life that we would spend that kind of money on. And even so, we had to prioritize what was really important to us, and what to save.

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • eva28eva28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree!  Especially if you have done lots of research and made an informed decision, feel confident in your choice and don't waste time second-guessing yourself (you've signed the papers anyway... Tongue out)!! 

Cost-cutting tips... for us, we kept our guest list small (not just to save money but also because we both want an intimate celebration instead of a big blow-out party); our invitations are DIY, as are bouquets and centrepieces (thanks Mom!!); AND my wedding dress is from Gown Go Round in Newmarket.  I am planning on selling it back to the store after my wedding to make some money back. 

Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone I know wrote this blog post... it's worth a read if you're feeling guilty or pressured about spending money on your wedding. :)

http://www.heygorg.com/2010/07/dont-compare-its-road-to-madness-part-i.html
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, it's pretty hard to find anything for under 10k in Toronto, unless you start to get creative and plan something less traditional. And, I found that a lot of places for smaller groups have a room fee that kind of takes away the cost savings of inviting less people, at least to a point.

I also found that as you go farther from Toronto, you often don't save much money, you tend to just get more for the same $$, at least in places that offer packages.
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_looking-little-reassurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:95d07aa9-e394-4da3-86cf-e606e19f90d7Post:2a3fe0ef-2e89-4da8-912b-a4d9bc782b04">Re: Looking for a little reassurance...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone I know wrote this blog post... it's worth a read if you're feeling guilty or pressured about spending money on your wedding. :) <a href="http://www.heygorg.com/2010/07/dont-compare-its-road-to-madness-part-i.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.heygorg.com/2010/07/dont-compare-its-road-to-madness-part-i.html</a>
    Posted by miellen[/QUOTE]

That is a FANTASTIC blog post!!!!
  • lilmiss_34lilmiss_34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am spending less than $10,000, but that's only because my wedding is 65 guests. I am going to a downtown Toronto Hotel and spending less than $10,000 which includes food, drink, linens, centerpieces, a suite for the night, and other little extras. It's all pretty basic though, no spectacular decor.
    Eva, I also got my dress from Gown Go Round. I love that store and people! My beautiful lace gown was only $350.
    White Knot

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have tried to save every way I can, but when I save in one area, I have to spend somewhere else.  it is as if there is no winning in this wedding game.  It is a money making industry.  There are countless ways to spend money on countless beautiful things.  All you can do is your best with what you have and it will be beautiful

What makes a wedding beautiful anyway, is the people you are surrounded with.

Yes I agree, never compare....it will make you go crazy.  Just focus on you and let your uniqueness shine.

Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot girls!

That really makes me feel so much better. I knew the brides would understand!

We're doing a group of 110 for about $12,000 for our venue, food and open bar at the Golf Club. I thought that was a great price - but dropped into a pretty hard guilt spiral after talking to my mother.

I think I was feeling the same as all you - just nice to hear it from people who have been there before - or are going there.

And as for the tips - fantastic! We're planning on doing as much as we can on our own.

Again... thanks!
  • kerrysmileykerrysmiley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - just chiming in now ... what is Gown Go Round?
  • lilmiss_34lilmiss_34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gown Go Round is a Wedding Dress shop in Newmarket that sells previously worn gowns on behalf of the owner. Awesome staff, and beautiful dresses with a huge selection of styles and sizes! http://www.gowngoround.com/
    White Knot

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • flyjawnflyjawn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i know people who have done weddings downtown for under 10K but i agree with other posters - they were not tradtiional weddings.

one was at the sutton place - ceremony on the top floor while the sun was setting and then drinks and appetizers - no sit down meal.  it was by far the best wedding i've been to.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards