Attire & Accessories Forum

Nike Personalized Shoes

I am a new Knottie!!!! 

I was wondering what the community thought. My honey doesn't want to wear dress shoes, we we looked into the Nike ID thing. We are going to do black and our color for the groom and grooms men, and i plan on wearing nikes to because they are comfy and Im not comfy in heels and i think it would be CUTE! but i dont know what to do for my bridemaids...Most of them dont like the idea! But it would be cute!!! RIght!?

Re: Nike Personalized Shoes

• <div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_nike-personalized-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:887e6aa1-5cdb-4cfb-9f82-47accdcf7915Post:c41b9c0c-45a7-4c55-b233-b9093ac3cb47">Nike Personalized Shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a new Knottie!!!!  I was wondering what the community thought. My honey doesn't want to wear dress shoes, we we looked into the Nike ID thing. We are going to do black and our color for the groom and grooms men, and i plan on wearing nikes to because they are comfy and Im not comfy in heels and i think it would be CUTE! but i dont know what to do for my bridemaids...<strong>Most of them dont like the idea!</strong> But it would be cute!!! RIght!?
    Posted by megh0591[/QUOTE]

The bolded part should be your hint. It's not cute.

The general opinion here is that sneakers, Toms, boots, and other similar shoes are not appropriate for weddings. I'm not a fan of adults being unable to dress appropriately for their own weddings. "I don't want to!!!" is not a good enough excuse.

I think your FI and his groomsmen should wear dress shoes.

I think you should let your bridesmaids choose whatever shoe in a color (black, silver, etc) that they would like to wear.

I think you should opt for some dressy flats instead of sneakers if heels are problematic for you.

If you are going to require your wedding party wear Nikes, you and your FI must pay for them.
    </div>
    </div></div>
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Sneakers aren't unique or quirky or "cute".  They are sneakers. 

You don't have to be over the top formal, but there are plenty of other shoe styles that are informal.  Loafers, ballet flats, sandals, etc.   If you want to wear a pair of flat shoes for comfort, I think it's a great idea, but sneakers in NO way go with a wedding dress. Not even an informal, casual wedding dress. 

When I see sneakers with a wedding gown, the first thing that comes to my mind is that the bride was either (a) trying to hard to be cute and quirky or (b) wayyyy to young to be getting married.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_nike-personalized-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:887e6aa1-5cdb-4cfb-9f82-47accdcf7915Post:4d67cfbd-4182-434b-b5a1-486cf578ac2d">Re: Nike Personalized Shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sneakers aren't unique or quirky or "cute".  They are sneakers.  You don't have to be over the top formal, but there are plenty of other shoe styles that are informal.  Loafers, ballet flats, sandals, etc.   If you want to wear a pair of flat shoes for comfort, I think it's a great idea, but sneakers in NO way go with a wedding dress. Not even an informal, casual wedding dress.  When I see sneakers with a wedding gown, the first thing that comes to my mind is that the bride was either (a) trying to hard to be cute and quirky or (b) wayyyy to young to be getting married.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<p class="MsoNormal"></p><p class="MsoNormal"> </p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:9pt;line-height:115%;">I agree with this. I absolutely </span><span style="font-size:9pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';">♥</span><span style="font-size:9pt;line-height:115%;"> sneakers. (Jordans) but I never even</span><span style="font-size:9pt;line-height:115%;"> thought of idea of wearing them for my WEDDING. Not even my H liked it for him or his guys.

p.s. I agree with CM in the "too young to be married" I wore sneakers with my dress but for my <span style="text-transform:uppercase;">quinceañera</span></span></p> <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:115%;"></span><p> </p> <span style="font-size:11pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';text-transform:uppercase;"> </span>
  • Ditto PP. Sneakers are not appropriate wedding attire.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sneakers with a bridesmaids dress is not cute. They completely cut off a girl's leg-line making her look shorter, and heavier. 

Also if you aren't paying for them, you shouldn't be forcing them to buy them or wear them. Please don't do that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My husband and I are jeans and t-shirt people.  I rarely weark make-up, and we would both wear sneakers or flip-flops year-round if we could.  But we don't.  I even have a pair of personalized Nikes, and I absolutely LOVE them -- for the gym.  

For formal occasions, we wear formal attire.   There are plenty of formal shoes that are comfortable.  It might mean spending more money on a quality pair of shoes that fit well.  But "nice shoes are uncomfortable" is not an excuse to wear Nikes with formal-wear.

If you like the Nikes, get the Nikes.  Wear them on your honeymoon.  But please, if you're wearing formal clothing for your wedding (a dress for you, or slacks/suit/tux for him), then please wear formal shoes.

DSC_9275
  • The sneaker thing isn't "cute" It's not. The only way you will get away with it is if you have foot problems, even then you could find some better, more formal-y shoes.

Get some good, quality flats to wear (if you get them in silver or gold or nude you can wear them to other occasions too!) and have him wear some shoes like this (<-click). It'd be less expensive and you'd still be comfortable without looking silly.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I say get the Nikes and wear them in a photo but wear actual formal shoes for the wedding itself.
  • Wow, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I hope you wore what you wanted and had a fabulous wedding. It's your wedding, you should do what makes you happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards