Wedding Invitations & Paper

Christmas cards with wedding pictures for non-guests?

Hey ladies!  We were married in September so this isn't really an invite question but I just wanted to know people's opinions. 

We sent out regular thank you cards and then made Christmas cards with a wedding pic on the front (I'm totally in love with them btw :) ).  We were going to send those along with pictures from our photobooth to everyone for the holidays.  We didn't have prints available there so we are giving each guest any photobooth pics they were in (the logistics of this were a little more time-consuming than I had expected).

There are a few girls that we didn't invite to the wedding that I've gotten closer with over the past year since we set our invite list.  I know they will be sending us xmas cards- is it rude to send them an xmas card with wedding pics on it if they weren't invited to the wedding?  It wasn't a slight- we just weren't close with them at the time and they wouldn't have been expected to be invited.  I feel like it'd be rude not to send them an xmas card if we're sending them to the majority of that group.

Thoughts?

Re: Christmas cards with wedding pictures for non-guests?

• They're your friends - I'm sure they'd love to see your wedding pics! 

• That is what Xmas cards are for. People always put pictures of their families in them. I don't see anything wrong with adding your wedding picture. I am sure they would love to see them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It's not a big deal.  Clearly they know you got married and that they weren't invited.  If they're really your friends, they'll be happy to receive a card from you, even if it has a wedding pic
  • If it were me, I wouldn't be offended.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm in the minority here, but I would think it was rubbing my nose in the fact that I'm clearly not close enough nor important enough to be a part of the biggest moment in your life.  I'd wonder why you're sending me a card at all since you already decided just 10 weeks ago that I'm not close to you...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_christmas-cards-wedding-pictures-non-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6b6b7e91-9126-434f-8e14-3afabc3cc76cPost:e9933c1d-63d6-4fbe-a2a5-a05fd0049662">Re: Christmas cards with wedding pictures for non-guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in the minority here, but I would think it was rubbing my nose in the fact that I'm clearly not close enough nor important enough to be a part of the biggest moment in your life.  I'd wonder why you're sending me a card at all since you already decided just 10 weeks ago that I'm not close to you...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Well... the decision was actually made 12 months ago when we sent save the dates.  We have a large group of friends in the area that we hang out with- as with most groups there are some you're closer to than others (this was originally FI's college friends and has since ballooned and I've made my own relationships with these people outside of FI). 

In June (6 mos ago) we started doing girls dinners every month, so since then we have all gotten a lot closer.  At that point, we were only 3 months from the wedding- obviously the guest list was set and including every single person in that group would have put us over the edge on what the venue could hold.  Honestly if these people I'm talking about were getting married I would have been shocked if I was invited at the time so I assume they would think the same thing.

I know what you're saying though- it would almost feel awkward sending it but when we all go to eachothers houses and she sees the cards around and didn't get one I was thinking she also might feel slighted.  I don't know, I guess that's why I asked ;)  This girl just asked for our address so I know she's sending out cards.

(btw for clarification the photo insert is for each particular person.  Like Johnny and Sue Smith had their picture taken in the photobooth so I had a print made and sent it specifically to them.  If a couple attended and didn't get their pic taken, they just get a card with no photo... hence the nightmare of ordering the right number of each print depending on who was in it, and matching them up with the envelopes before writing the cards.  Ah!)

Thanks for the opinions everyone!
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a small wedding with 30 guests and used a Christmas card with a wedding picture on it.  It was kind of like a wedding announcement for those who weren't invited - and I'm sorry Kristin numbers thinks that your entire Christmas card list should be invited to your wedding but even if we'd done only family for ours, it would have been almost 300 people.  People understand how expensive weddings are and the vast majority aren't going to have their noses out of joint if you do this
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • >>We had a small wedding with 30 guests and used a Christmas card with a wedding picture on it. It was kind of like a wedding announcement for those who weren't invited - and I'm sorry Kristin numbers thinks that your entire Christmas card list should be invited to your wedding...

I don't think that at all.
    Our wedding was like yours - we had 25 guests there, and when we sent Christmas cards, we included in the holiday note that we got married - which was the first time most of our extended family had heard of it.
    i certainly don't think her entire Christmas card list should have been invited to her wedding, but I think a sending a WEDDING PHOTOCARD or sending a WEDDING PHOTO with the Christmas card is over the line.
  • I think it's ok - there are some people I send Christmas cards and keep up very occasionally, but they aren't invited to the wedding. For example, there is a teacher I had in high school and every year we send each other a Christmas card. He usually includes a photo of his son, so I will send him one of our engagement phot cards, and next year a wedding card. He is not invited to the wedding though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards