Hawaii
Options

Vendor Meals

Hey Gals!

My WC wants to know which vendors we are planning on feeding. The vendor meals through our caterer are $45 per person. We're already spending a fortune on our guests ($85 for the meal and $5.50 for the dessert per person).

What are you girls doing? Are you feeding vendors? If so, which ones? FI says "they're working we shouldn't have to feed them" but I don't want to be rude if this is part of the etiquette.

Our budget is at max capacity so this is just another thing to put us over the top!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Vendor Meals

• Options
    Samaralynn23Samaralynn23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Beth,

I was able to get my vendors @ a great rate or for free so instead of tipping them and paying more money out that i was trying to save I went ahead and included all staff in the vendors section except for the caterers & bar tender ($75 a pop 10 people).  I didn't include them cause i thought 1 we paid some serious cash for them 2 I i wasn't sure how many to include 3 honestly i thought they would be the busiest and wouldnt have time to cut out and eat like the other vendors.  Hope that helps.
  • Options
    destiny1108destiny1108 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a buffet, so we just did the same meal, but caterer offered a lower priced "vendor meal" if we wanted.  Some of our vendor contracts did note that a meal was required.
  • Options
    pbkmompbkmom member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

That seems high, our vendor meals were $20 each. The DJ was working, the officiant and musician were gone, so all we paid for were the two photographers, they came over from Oahu and were there all day so I didn't want to send them back on an empty stomach!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Beth!  I haven't had time to post much, but I wanted to say that YES YES YES you need to feed your vendors. I used to be a photographer's assistant, and let me tell you, working at weddings is very hard work.  Remember, most of your vendors will be there from before the wedding starts to after the reception is over, and are on their feet the whole time.

I don't mean to sound lecture-y, but these people are human beings and need sustenance (sp?)--it would be impractical for them to have to pack a lunch, so to speak.  And yeah, you are paying them already for their services, but this is just one of those basic common courtesy things.

Hope that helps!
    image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We fed ours too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

lhello!!

we fed ours too.  our caterer did a buffett also at a discounted price.  off the top of my head i honestly can't remember what it was but i was surprised by the low cost.  i do feel like yours is a little high though.  can you ask for other options.

i agree with liz.  the majority of my vendors arrived very early.  especially my WC, photog and video.  maybe you can bring in sandwich trays or something cheaper on your own if your caterer can't lower the price.

hth

ryan and jennifer |august 10, 2009| lanikuhonua phase II
  • Options
    marikoonomarikoono member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_vendor-meals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:b3e1b497-30de-4478-aed3-d630961ab460Post:6dd69627-44bf-466f-86ad-ff78e9a03678">Re: Vendor Meals</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to say that YES YES YES you need to feed your vendors. working at weddings is very hard work.  Remember, most of your vendors will be there from before the wedding starts to after the reception is over, and are on their feet the whole time. I don't mean to sound lecture-y, but these people are human beings and need sustenance (sp?)--it would be impractical for them to have to pack a lunch, so to speak.  And yeah, you are paying them already for their services, but this is just one of those basic common courtesy things. Hope that helps!
    Posted by nahokulele[/QUOTE]

This!

I've photographed weddings also; you have to remember that most likely, your photographer is working 6-8 hours straight. This first chance they even get to sit down is during the actual dinner. Other than the photographer, the only other vendor I've ever seen fed is the DJ. If you want them to perform at their best, they need to be nurished.
  • Options
    ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! I think I should have rephrased my question a bit. What I was looking for was 1) are you paying for vendor meals and 2) are there cheaper options. In no way do I want to let those that are working so hard for us starve to death. I like the idea of possibly having some yummy sandwiches or other options delivered. I am just having a difficult time with paying $45 a person.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi again--I hope I didn't come across as rude, I didn't mean to!  :)  Just typing fast since i'm sneaking in TK time at work, and I don't mean to discredit the budget issue.  I didn't think about other options--that is a good question!  Then again, it's just one more thing to have to deal with.  Maybe you could see if you can negotiate the vendor meal price??

image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Samaralynn23Samaralynn23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Darn i didnt know you could get vendor prices, oh well too late now :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our vendor meals were half the price of the regular guest meals.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our vendor meals were about 1/3 of what we paid for our guests. We had a buffet. I agree that $45 is expensive. I would definitely try to negotiate the price of the meals if you can or ask if your caterer can make sandwiches or something. I'm sure they will work with you!

And yes, for those vendors who are there all day (photographer, videographer, DJ, your WC) they are the ones who should get these meals.

I can't believe how quickly your wedding is coming up!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'd like to see if I could keep the vendor meals with our caterer but see if they are willing or able to either negotiate on the price or make something a little simplier. Thank you all for the advice.

P.S. Liz, there is no way I would ever be offended by anything you would have to say. I know you enough to know you are way too sweet! Thanks for the input, dear!

• Options
    pbkmompbkmom member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hey Beth its getting close!!! Hope all is going well and sending you my best wishes. Olowalu is magical and you will just have a fantastic wedding. ENJOY!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my caterer is giving a discounted price on the same meal, because the vendors wont be boozing :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards