Connecticut

HELP! Casual Rehearsal Dinner Spot!

Since our wedding is more formal, we were looking for a casual rehearsal dinner location where we could do a New England style BBQ/clambake since FI's family and our bridal party are not from the area. Somewhere we can get some BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon, and mini lobster rolls without breaking the bank! We looking into Knapps Landing in Stratford but the price is just too much for FI's parents to handle.

We have feelers at:
Outriggers in Stratford
The Lazy Lobster in Milford
Captain's Cove in Bridgeport

We wanted somethin on the water with a water view or beach view, but casual. Our church is in Trumbull, so we want to stay close to the area (Stratford, Milford, Fairfield, Bridgeport and surrounding areas would probably be best). Any suggestions?!

Re: HELP! Casual Rehearsal Dinner Spot!

• kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ohh I think Captain's Cove would be perfect for what you are looking for!!! Idk why but Harborside in Stratford is on the water but idk about their food being what you want!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SBC in Milford, Stonebridge in Milford, and ditto Captains Cove and Harborside! All great places :0)
  • edited December 2011
    Haven't been there in forever...not sure about their formality or prices...but Jimmies in West Haven comes to mind. I've been to Captain's Cove in BPT...definitely a hidden gem! 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to Stonebridge, twice. I never realized it was on the water! I guess it was dark and there was some drinking involved. My college set up a night there as a part of senior week. They had all sorts of food, buffet style, and the service was really good. 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Harborside actually closed.  It is now Savin Rock Roasting Company.  I ate at their location in West Haven and it is pretty good, but I haven't been to the Stratford one yet.

Also, I would check out http://www.thelazylobsterrestaurant.com/. They are on the water in Milford, just outside the downtown area.  They also cater BBQs if you find a location and want to bring in your own food.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, I just saw you mentioned Lazy Lobster already!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_casual-rehearsal-dinner-spot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2352f529-35e1-4322-966e-ae59e1b6a053Post:c79a8a33-da26-4f8e-a052-c58ec1d5be9c">Re: HELP! Casual Rehearsal Dinner Spot!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I just saw you mentioned Lazy Lobster already!
    Posted by foozzle[/QUOTE]

<strong>Lazy Lobster </strong>is SUPER expensive....my friend was going to use them for a post-wedding bbq and it was outrageous.  The food is fantastic but you get what you pay for. 

Went to the <strong>Stratford Savin Rock in Stratford </strong>last weekend...very good experience!  The menu is ridiculously expansive, you name it, they have it.  Very reasonably priced for a dinner for two.  I would put it on the list to look at.

<strong>Stonebridge in Milford </strong>= expensive to rent the deck, did it before for a work function.  Not worth it unless you are spending someone else's money haha. 

<strong>Bridgehouse in Milford</strong> = not on the water but just on the other side of the bridge from Savin Rock in Stratford.  We are using their downstairs room for our rehearsal dinner.  We told the guy our budget was $2k for 40 people and he said it will be MUCH less than that. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'd also say that Outriggers may be out of budget if Knapp's is... I think Outriggers may be a bit more than Knapp's. Stonebridge is also on the pricey side (it's not really on the water, but it's on the river running into Milford Harbor) so I think Bridgehouse/Savin Rock/SBC/Captain's Cove are good choices for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~~ BFP 5/9/12 EDD 1/18/13 ~~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Since you are thinking BBQ, I would also highly recommend Johnny's in Stratford (best ribs!) or Ash Creek Saloon in Black Rock!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~~ BFP 5/9/12 EDD 1/18/13 ~~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_casual-rehearsal-dinner-spot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2352f529-35e1-4322-966e-ae59e1b6a053Post:cb844a73-fef0-492e-9e9f-29e06c312b0e">Re: HELP! Casual Rehearsal Dinner Spot!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since you are thinking BBQ, I would also highly recommend Johnny's in Stratford (best ribs!) or <strong>Ash Creek Saloon in Black Rock</strong>!
    Posted by Allison546[/QUOTE]

Um ok now I'm craving....thanks a lot...
  • starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the Lazy Lobster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we had originally hired the owner of the lazy lobster to cater our wedding.  he canceled on us 3 weeks before the wedding and KEPT $3,000!!!!!  we won a small claims suit against him, and he STILL hasn't paid. 

the guy is a total scumbag.  please don't support his business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    There is a place in New Haven (I think) called Leon's that might fit what you are thinking (although I've never been there myself).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards