Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Paying for OOT Photographer?

We're thinking of having our photgrapher travel from out of town (approx. 4 hour drive). We will have to pay typical travel expenses, of course (gas money). Are we expected to buy them a hotel room at our venue? Are we supposed to include them in our guest list and feed them? They will be the only outside vendor we're having (catering is on-site, we're doing our own music) so I just don't know what the "proper" thing is to do.

Thanks!

Re: Paying for OOT Photographer?

• Options
    I think those all depend on the individual photographer.  I had a lady that was going to drive 5 hours one way and need 2 nights' stay for only $250 only because she loved the area I was going to get married at so much.  Others charged 2 hotel nights, plus gas.  All that needs to be asked and decided upon.  No noe ever mentioned food to me, but that is also something that should never be assumed.  Best to ask!  Some claim "no travel fee" but that only means they don't charge extra on top of gas/hotel.
  • Options

What Gina said.  Also, whether the photog was OOT or not, you definitely have to feed them.  Talk to your venue about setting up a "vendor" meal.  As for the hotel room, that's something that should be negotiated as part of the contract.  Since it's a four hour drive one way and the average wedding day is 8ish hours long, I can't imagine the photog wouldn't need to stay overnight - I doubt anyone would want to drive four hours, work eight, then drive four more all in one day.

imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! You're all so helpful :)
  • Options
    The photographers is charging you for their labour, not for 8 total hours of driving.  Driving that far is extra. I doubt they have your hotel budgeted for, so expect to pay for that as well. Lastly, you always feed the photographer, so have a seat at a table for them. Even if your contract doesn't specify feeding them, it's a courtesy, and you wouldn't want to risk quality because you cheaped out on food for them and they were starving through the reception and later..  or worst, if they leave to find their own food. Every wedding I've attended had the photographer seated somewhere with the guests, at the distant tables, eating the same food, not "vendor" food--that's just rude. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_paying-for-oot-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:66337821-eea5-494e-aa31-fa585e20e541Post:161eb512-cb16-48dd-8713-cb312d811c72">Re: Paying for OOT Photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The photographers is charging you for their labour, not for 8 total hours of driving.  <strong>Driving</strong> that far is extra. I doubt they have your <strong>hotel </strong>budgeted for, so <strong>expect to pay</strong> for that as well. Lastly, you always <strong>feed</strong> the photographer, so have a seat at a table for them. Even if your contract doesn't specify feeding them, it's a courtesy, and you wouldn't want to risk quality because you cheaped out on food for them and they were starving through the reception and later..  or worst, if they leave to find their own food. Every wedding I've attended had the photographer <strong>seated somewhere with the guests,</strong> at the distant tables, <strong>eating the same food</strong>, not "vendor" food--that's just rude. 
    Posted by ybgoode[/QUOTE]

This. We got lucky with our OOT Photographers because they have reletives in the town we are getting married in and they want to use the opportunity to have their own vacation so they are not charging us for hotel, but we will be feeding them for sure! We are paying for there gas both ways and are planning on tipping them very generously since they could be charging us a lot more then they are for being 4 hours away!

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards