Connecticut

Photgrapher

We just booked our wedding venue in Canterbury, CT and I am trying to find a reasonable photographer.  I have found a couple on the knot but I would like to see if anyone else has used them so I can know if they are good or not.  Wedding Bug photography has very reasonable prices but they seen to nationwide so I am not sure if that means they contract out to photographers in the area.  Has anyone had any experience with them or does anyone know of any other photographers?
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
image 125 Are ready to party
image 23 Are no fun!
image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet

Re: Photgrapher

• edited May 2012
    First I booked the pros who are a national company and I listened to other brides' advice and dumped them.  I'm glad I did, I don't think the national businesses are the best.  I am going with Scott Perham Photography, he's definitely reasonably priced and includes a lot in his package.  He has a great photojournalistic and artistic style, which is what I wanted.  I got his name here from another bride who used him for her wedding last year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am not sure what you consider 'reasonable' but Eric Brushett's packages start at $2,000. What I found when meeting with photographers is a lot of them charge for 'add-ons' such as the rights to the images and adding albums of the images. Eric includes ALL the rights to the images and gets them to you within in a month. That sold us. He is also willing to swap items from different packages depending on what you want. The other photographers we met with did not offer this option. Check out his website and see if you like his style. If you do, I would suggest contacting him. www.ericbrushett.net

Also, congrats on booking your venue! Canterbury is a beautiful area. 
  • I definitely agree with PP that you should stay away from national companies. Find a local photographer that either runs his/her own business or has created their own small business.

When I first started planning my wedding, I suffered sticker shock related to photographer prices. In the end, though, I'd rather pay more for an fantastic photographer than have bad wedding pictures. 

We're using Jerome Braga of Studio1923 (clicky). He takes and edits absolutely beautiful pictures. I used weddingwire.com (clicky) to read reviews for Jerome and other photogs in our area. 

When you're meeting with photographers, ask to see a full album of what the bride/groom gets after their wedding- not just the great posed shots. That way you'll know if they maintain a level of skill.  Good luck!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    Our photographer is Alexis Stein Photography - I'm thrilled with their work, and we're spending under $3000 for engagement shoot (which was 8 hours long!), wedding with two photographers for 8 hours, and all high res digital photos with printing rights.  I didn't want an album, but they have those affordably, too.

For me, I found it important to ask to see ALL photos as given to the bride, to get an idea if they were getting lucky with a few shots here and there or if they consistently had in-focus shots that had good composition (not weird angles, bad lighting, out of focus, etc.)

Anniversary

• Ditto!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_photgrapher?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:7026a42b-97ef-4b8e-a355-4f1044307c12Post:67ced40d-d3f9-4d3e-9caf-92af0d1dc1c1">Re: Photgrapher</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely agree with PP that you should stay away from national companies. Find a local photographer that either runs his/her own business or has created their own small business. When I first started planning my wedding, I suffered sticker shock related to photographer prices. In the end, though, I'd rather pay more for an fantastic photographer than have bad wedding pictures.  We're using Jerome Braga of  Studio1923  (clicky). He takes and edits absolutely beautiful pictures. I used  weddingwire.com  (clicky) to read reviews for Jerome and other photogs in our area.  When you're meeting with photographers, ask to see a full album of what the bride/groom gets after their wedding- not just the great posed shots. That way you'll know if they maintain a level of skill.  Good luck!
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]
  • Thanks for all the great advice!  I will definitely stay away from the national photographer and go with someone more local.  I got some great leads on here that I can check out.  I appreciate the help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
    image 125 Are ready to party
    image 23 Are no fun!
    image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet
  • Ditto everything everyone said.  I am also using Jerome (Studio1923).
  • demkoj1demkoj1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm using Michael Dzienis Photography... He works for a well known photography company and is begining to do his own thing on the side which makes his rates unbeatable. 
  • If I was smart I would have used Studio 1923... listen carefully and go with your gut.
    We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz
  • I'm using Victoria Souza. I definitely agree with other PPs that I had sticker shock. I like soft, romantic photos with a lot of light and without a lot of editing/effects. They were a perfect fit though not really budget friendly at $4700 not including an album. I also looked into and liked: Studio 1923, Candace Jeffrey, Carla Ten Eyck & Beyond the Lens. 
  • I agree with PPs, FI and I are using Eric Brushett... His packages are budget friendly and we loved the fact that we get all rights to the pictures... I personally love the photojournalistic style which Eric does. We are taking our e-pics June 1, I can't wait!!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    I am using RAW photo design, and while they are not budget friendly at $5900 (includes engagement session, wedding guestbook created from engagement shoot, 2 photographers for unlimited hours on wedding day, and a photobooth at the wedding, and all rights to print and pictures on a dvd as well as a select number of photos edited to remove blemishes, beads of sweat, etc) I knew photography was not an area to skimp on for FI and me.  We are not photogenic people, so being comfortable with whoever was going to be shooting us was key. We clicked with RAW right away and even though it's more than we'd like to spend, we also know this is going to be our only opportunity to get really amazing pictures of us together.
  • I'm using LT Photography. 2 Photographers, engagement pics, coffee table book, rights at all photos and much more for $2500
  • jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    i'm using TAB Photographic (Tim Brown) -- www.tabphotographic.com
    He'll work with your budget to get you exactly what you want! He's so creative and has an artistic eye--very talented. You won't regret it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are susing HK Photography and they are great so far!
  • 2500 for Athena Blude's package : CLICKY
    Loved her pics
  • We are using Jennifer Fiereck. She is amazing!
  • Sometimes I wonder how all of these photographers are able to stay in business in such a small area. I know they travel, but man, there are a lot of them! I guess it just means there are A LOT of weddings in CT :)
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Yes def stay away from the National Photographers.

We loved ours...

King Vincent Storm

www.kingvincentstorm.com
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Another vote for Jerome.  

Bella Pictures around $1500 + www.bellapictures.com

abc
  • We used Julie at Jewel Photography out of middletown and loved her! We payed about $3000 for everything except an album.
  • I used Brooke Allison Photography, she was a bit more than what I was expecting to pay but I had to do it she is amazing!

http://www.brookeallisonphoto.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards