New Jersey

Your opinions on wedding date weekend after July 4th.

So me and my fiance are getting married July 2012.  The 4th of July falls on a Wednesday that year.  Do you think people will be celebrating still the Friday after?  Which would be 6th?  Or do you think alot of people may go on vacation that week? 

I am trying to decide between the 6th and the 20th.  The week in between is Friday the 13th and that freaks me out a little bit!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Your opinions on wedding date weekend after July 4th.

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd vote for the 20th as I think the weekend after July 4th will be a popular vacation weekend, as well as traffic. Your ticker is flipflops so I'm guessing you might be having a beach/shore area wedding and in that case I'd ABSOLUTELY avoid either weekend by July 4th because of traffic.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If you want to avoid vacations, I wouldn't do it the week of 4th of July. Although people plan vacations throughout summer, anytime that falls around a holiday is a sure bet people will be away. I guess if you have a big guest list and don't want everyone to come, that would work out in your favor. But if you want everyone to come, I'd pick a different weekend. My wedding is August 20th and I made sure I avoided holiday weekends, weekends where people are moving back into college, the 13th of the month (freaked me out as well), etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That will definitely be when people celebrate the holiday. I vote for the 20th as well
    *~allie~*

• NJBRIDE324NJBRIDE324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok thanks for the advice!!  I was planning on the 20th it too it just seems so far away I was thinking of trying to move it up but I guess when I am waiting this long what is really 2 more weeks.  We have to guranatee 175 so I need the people to come :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to agree with everyone else.  Fi and I had friends who got married on July 3rd, and almost half of their guests declined because of vacation plans.  I know it seems like a far off time, but it really will go quickly.  I have been engaged for just under 29 months, and at times it seems like we just got engaged yesterday.  Have fun planning!  Plus, you can hit up all the craft and other stores for beach themed stuff on the clearance racks now...and next summer.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I also vote for the 20th.

I would also reconsider the 13th if your only obstacle is the notion of "bad luck." I find superstitions to be so silly. A date isn't going to affect your chances of getting divorced, or your health/safety or that of your guests. Luck doesn't know a date. I've never heard of anything particularly bad happening on Friday the 13th (not moreso than any other day, I mean).

Plus, I would be willing to bet that a lot of vendors would agree to offer you some kind of discount for a Friday the 13th wedding, since so many people buy into these dumb superstitions and avoid it as a wedding date. If the hall has most Friday the 13ths wide open, they might also lower your minimum count a bit in order to get your business. Use it to your advantage, is my vote.

• andreapnycandreapnyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i say 20th!
  • NJBRIDE324NJBRIDE324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_opinions-wedding-date-weekend-after-july-4th?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:6f7fd1a8-6910-4c94-b9ea-380ceda455e6Post:46be977b-4cc7-4342-96fb-abaa5007982c">Re: Your opinions on wedding date weekend after July 4th.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also vote for the 20th. I would also reconsider the 13th if your only obstacle is the notion of "bad luck." I find superstitions to be so silly. A date isn't going to affect your chances of getting divorced, or your health/safety or that of your guests. Luck doesn't know a date. I've never heard of anything particularly bad happening on Friday the 13th (not moreso than any other day, I mean). Plus, I would be willing to bet that a lot of vendors would agree to offer you some kind of discount for a Friday the 13th wedding, since so many people buy into these dumb superstitions and avoid it as a wedding date. If the hall has most Friday the 13ths wide open, they might also lower your minimum count a bit in order to get your business. Use it to your advantage, is my vote.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

You are totally right.  I do just hate the #13 I cant even leave the volume in my car on the #13 but if they are willing to knock off some money then maybe it will be worth it :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards