South Asian Weddings

Random/Strange Question re: Manicures

The other day I realized that Indian food is not kind to a french manicure. It stains your nails yellow. Most of the time it washes off though, but that got my sister in law and I wondering about how my manicure would hold up through the ceremonies/pujas that we will do the day before the wedding.

I was planning on having my nails done prior to getting my mehndi done, which is scheduled for a Friday and then on Saturday we will have a graha shanti and a haldi ceremony.

How did your manicures hold up over these events? I know it sounds crazy, but I know that my hands will be photographed over and over on the wedding day and I dont want a busted/stained manicure in my pictures!
ExerciseMilestone

Re: Random/Strange Question re: Manicures

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are able to add a coat of clear nail polish to the top and bottom of your nails this helps a lot :)  I bought a Sally's touch up marker as well, which works wonders... Also if you put (believe it or not) whitening toothpaste underneath your nails that helps to keep them white...

I di a french manicure to my existing nails, so no acrylics, and it was okay through the haldi ceremony, with no chips, but I had an extra couple coats of clear on, so that helped!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Eat with a fork! It's what I do... Most people won't mind since they will understand about your nails.
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinking of the clear coat on top of a million clear coats. I wonder if I should do a dry run with this. It's a good excuse to get another manicure, right? :)

DFW: I will totally be eating with a fork but unfortunately I can't get around the haldi when it comes time to do the ceremonies etc. Blerg!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto DF!!  First of all,  I think we won't have that much time to eat to begin with, so I was just thinking about eating with a fork to avoid getting my hands dirty.  or have colored nails, and skip the french tips.
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Girls!

Yes I worried about this same thing and to be honest...I didn't eat with my hands LOL I mean not even roti with subjee like you are suppose to use the roti as a scoop and scoop up the subjee...One hand held a piece of roti and the othre hand held a spoon to eat the subji

On the actual wedding day ...I got fed by my hubby so he could scoop no problem...and when I fed him I followed the above process or used a fork hahaha but in the evening I used a fork and had rice LOL

I got my nails done on the morning of my mendhi...which was 3 days before my wedding day...the nails were fine no complaints... :)

• edited December 2011
    Maybe you can put Vaseline on your nails and nail beds before you do the haldi ceremony?  I think that's what people usually put around their hairline before doing at-home dye jobs.  Keeps the stuff from sinking in.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Andumu that's a great idea and ditto DFWIndian, I wasn't worried about the food part, but the haldi ceremony was what got me thinking...

Raangoli, go for a manicure test trial :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Ohh the vaseline is a good idea, thanks!

I like the look of a french manicure rather than a solid color, so that's why it was so specific to the french style.

I will have to do some test trials to see how it goes. Will report back! :)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I just read what bells wrote....she got Gels which is smart!

They last longer and are better for your natural nail!

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    I just had them paint french - so just the nail polish onto my natural nail....  that way on the hmoon, i could take it off...  But it's good to know that gels are better for your nail, if I have to get fakies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards