Mississippi

Venues in Downtown/Belhaven/Fondren (Jackson)

Hello all! I'm newly engaged and am moving to  FL, where my FI is living, but I'm a City of Jackson girl and our wedding will take place there. Hopefully we will be able to have the ceremony in the church I grew up in  (St. Peter's Cathedral), and I want the reception to be decently close to there. Has anyone been to/heard about having receptions at the Eudora Welty Library? Also, does anyone have any views/reviews on the Eudora Welty House, the old Duling School, The Cedars or any other Jackson venues?

Re: Venues in Downtown/Belhaven/Fondren (Jackson)

• melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could help, but I don't have any info on venues in the downtown area... St. Peter's is gorgeous though. Good luck looking, and congrats on your engagement!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at the Cedars and wasn't a fan. I'm sure people with a little more creativity than I have could make it into a great venue, but when I looked all I saw was small and old. Keep in mind that I did only look at it from the street, so it may be much better closer up. I do have to admit that I saw some charm in it, I just knew immediately that it wasn't my style. I love love love the Duling school! In fact my florist is located there if you are looking for one. The Eudora Welty house is amazing as well. I don't just love the location, but I thought about looking there anyway. All three venues have very different looks, but I think you would probably be happy with any of them. Let me know what you think after you look! Good luck!
  • LDYGTR13LDYGTR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved the Cedars! But Chouna is right, you'll need to be creative - and you can't party late into the night since it's in a neighborhood. It's beautiful for a day time wedding IMO though - especially something laidback and vintage. The deck area in the back was neat!

Are you looking for a super traditional reception area or are you willing to go kinda funky?

• divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wllling to go pretty funky. The last time I was in The Cedars I was doing a play there and that was way before the reno's they've done, same with Duling. I did see on their website that there was a limit as to how late you can be there, but I probably wouldn't do night anyway. I grew up in Belhaven, so the Welty House seems pretty, I'll have to look into the parking sitch though. Thank you guys so much, I'll try to be as helpful to anyone else as I can!
  • tinale7tinale7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into The South Warehouse, the Union Station Depot, or the King Edward?  There's also the Art Museum.
  • edited December 2011
    There is also the Fairview Inn!!  It is gorgeous!  I do not think you would have to do a ton of decorating.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just coordinated a summer wedding in Jackson and we did the reception at the Historic King Edward Hotel - which was beautiful and the staff was AMAZING!!!  Lauren is the contact person and I know they will be more than happy to help you.  They will work with you on blocks of rooms for guests as well.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards