Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Reoccuring dream of beating up in-laws... What do I do?

Hi! I got married 3 weeks ago. It was great and lovely, and almost everything went well. There were a few people that didn't make it great. My husband's parents were not very supportive. Some things they did:
-Asked the photographer in the middle of our wedding pictures if her and her husband could have their own picture taken... of themselves. During our wedding party pictures.
-Didn't say hi to me when they got to the church, and when I told her she looked nice, she just said, "Thanks."
-FIL made fun of my nephew's hair, (he's two). And told him he had some lunch stuck in his hair and that his mom needed to fix it. (She had put jel in it.)
-Spent the whole 9 months of the engagement telling me that having candles at the table were a burn/fire hazard and told me it was a bad idea, and ended up having candles at her backyard rehersal dinner.
Things were not bad until a week before the wedding. So it kind of confuses me, but ever since the wedding, I have reoccuring dreams of them coming over and complaining about our wedding to me, and I tell them that they are the only reason things went bad, and then I get into a fist fight with his parents... And I win.
The first time I woke up relieved and embarrassed, and it's happened 3 times now! Is that normal?
I'm not a violent person at all! It's so weird for me to think stuff like this, but I do! Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

Thank you! :)
Have a great day! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Due May 10, 2012

Re: Reoccuring dream of beating up in-laws... What do I do?

• I would say that you should have addressed those issues before getting married bc things aren't going to change now that you are married unless you nip them in the butt. Most of the things that you listed, however, are just petty IMO. I would talk to your H about them and maybe he can have a talk with his parents so they don't affect your marriage.

Sounds like you also need to let go of those things that they said and/or did, they are in the past now, so move on. And I think that will help you from having the recurring dreams.
  • I understand how its hard to let go of things like that. I'm the kind of person who takes things way to personally and tends to re-think and over-think. Like MissySue said I would let it go if you can and talk to your H.

How did he feel about what his parents did? He might have felt the same way but just didn't want to say anything to keep the peace.

Just remember to stay rational no matter what you do. You are married to the man of your dreams now and nothing FIL's said or did on your wedding day will change that. Hang on to the good memories of the day and let go of the bad.

Take care!
  • Thank you so much. :)
    His mom has always been selfish, and he's said that since I met him, but I feel like it was the tipping point with things. We're meeting with them this weekend for the first time since the wedding, and I'm going to nip it in the bud if it comes up.
    My hubby was really upset about it too, but let it go to keep peace. He really wasn't surprised that they did all that.
    Thank you for the advice. :) I really appreciate it. :) Thank you so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Due May 10, 2012
  • Have you considered that they may have it coming?
    Innocent

Seriously, they're jerks, by the sounds of it and you're probably just having a healthy stress reaction. The dreams will subside on their own, give it a little time.
    "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lois, this is not my Batman glass."
  • oh for cryin out loud....let it go honey or you will never get along with your in-laws. Was it really such a big deal that they asked for a picture?maybe they don't get dressed up often and wanted a nice photo of the two of them together.....and just beccause his Mom didn't gush over you...maybe she had other things to worry about.....and the candles? you know most venues don't allow open flame...her back yard her business. And did you include her in any of the planning..make her feel like she was an important part of the wedding too,or did you just want her to show up shut up and werar beige?  play nice ...or it will be a constant tug of war between your husband,you ,and his family. JMO your making a mountain out of a mole hill
  • You called it a dream not a nightmare - so how bad can it be you did not hurt them in real life.  It's over let it go they probably don't even realize they did a thing to make you upset.
  • It's your imagination doing what you know you can't do in real life.  It happens all the time.  I say, enjoy it while it lasts!

Wink
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • I wouldn't consider it a nightmare at all.  A nightmare would be your mother in law winning the fight.  A win means its a great dream.  I would love to smack my soon to be father in law upside the head once in a while.  My Fiance thinks I might actually do it one day.  Here's hoping..kidding..maybe not.  Wink
    "Do I look like a killer to you?" "Yes, you kill my patience." -Castle
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards