Oregon

Why?

Why is this board so dead? I think only southern Mississippi has less posts than Oregon.

Re: Why?

• edited December 2011
    No clue.. I always lurk but never post since nobody ever posts here.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm new to the boards and have posted some. I'm game to post if y'all are! : )
  • edited December 2011
    I"m scared of all the boards but DIY.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • edited December 2011
    Why are you scared? Even as a lurker, I've gleaned so much from the boards! : )
  • edited December 2011
    i shouldn't say scared *of* the other boards... scared to post on them... because I have a big mouth and a sharp tongue.

I check this board randomly and find a lot of useful information, but the budget boards really get my blood boiling for some reason.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • edited December 2011

You've definitely made me curious.  However, I am very opinionated myself so I know what you mean.  This is my 2nd marriage but first wedding so I'm really excited! I am boring my daughters to death with all of my various thoughts and ideas and my MOH is in St. Louis.  My Mom thinks weddings are a waste of money but I've made it very clear that I always said that if I ever got married again; I'd do it "right" and to keep her opinions to herself.  Needless to say, finding people to share this experience with me has been challenging, to say the least. 
    I have a limited buget  as we are paying for it ourselves.  My goal for my wedding is for people to eat, drink, and celebrate.  I'm not so concerned with all of the minute details as I am on people having fun. Cool

• edited December 2011

That is so ridiculously refreshing to hear.

This is my first wedding and my fiance's second.  I've always planned on having a wedding.. but we're on a tight budget as well since we're paying for it ourselves.

My only goal for the entire day is to walk out with a signed legal document saying that I'm married to the man of my dreams.  All else is just frill...

I've turned into a huge DIY machine and am doing pretty much everything on my own since my entire bridal party lives out of town and my mom stresses me out. haha.

I just read some of these posts on the other knot boards and am floored at how some brides are behaving... I actually saw someone post that they had a $2000 budget and planned on spending $1200 of it on the dress. 

I just wanna shake some of these girls and be like.. "get a grip!"

• edited December 2011

I am sadly DIY deficient so I have nothing but respect for the craft inclined.  I'm also almost 40 and having been married before, I have a different outlook on the process.  I had a $35 justice of the peace wedding before because that's all we could afford at the time.  My fiance and I aren't loaded but are a bit more financially comfortable than I was at 22.  I never thought I'd get married again, truth be told.  I was married for 11 years and I've been on my own for the last 7.  I don't need a Platinum Wedding because 1- I can't afford it and 2- there are so many other things I need more.  However, the girl in me has always dreamed of the dress and the wedding.  The adult in me realizes I can have that without taking out a 2nd mortgage! Laughing

Here is where I have cut costs.

My site is the Marriott Riverside Verandah.  They have pretty good wedding packages that are all inclusive.  The outdoor patio is gorgeous with gorgeous views and I can have: 10 hours, all of the setup and teardown, tableware, and food /drink for $8k (including gratuity).  That includes also a wedding coordinator for the day, an ice sculpture, chairs, linens, table decorations and 4 hotel rooms comped.  There's more, believe it or not. If anybody is interested, feel free to email me for the info.

I'm doing a small wedding cake and Costco sheetcakes.  I would love to learn how to make my own cake stands so if you have any DIY for Dummies ideas, please pass them on.

My wedding favors-- small jars of Marrionberry jam from Moppethill Farms. She is at Saturday Market and she will custom make your label at no charge.  The small jars she quoted me at $1.50 each.  I wanted my favors to be functional and fun and Oregon-y. Plus, I freaking love Marrionberry jam.

The site provides clear glass fishbowls for the tables.  I plan on going to the flower farms and picking dinner plate ,or large, dahlias to float in the water.  As I anticipate only 10-12 tables, this isn't very expensive.  I plan on buying submersible floralytes as well in pink for evening.  12 of those are only maybe what, $36?  Not too shabby!

I plan on hitting New Seasons as recommended to check out the costs of flower for bouquets, bouts, and corsages as recommended!  Other than the bouquets, the rest will be hand-picked or bought at a store in bunches.

My overall budget is $15k.  Is it set in stone? No-- but I plan on making every effort.  So any ideas on how to cut costs I'd welcome!!

Keep the ideas coming!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_why?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:9e3acb8f-f4e3-4bbf-aa55-46d8d623c0bbPost:de0969e2-1110-4cc7-9095-608836bafba1">Re: Why?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sadly DIY deficient so I have nothing but respect for the craft inclined.  I'm also almost 40 and having been married before, I have a different outlook on the process.  I had a $35 justice of the peace wedding before because that's all we could afford at the time.  My fiance and I aren't loaded but are a bit more financially comfortable than I was at 22.  I never thought I'd get married again, truth be told.  I was married for 11 years and I've been on my own for the last 7.  I don't need a Platinum Wedding because 1- I can't afford it and 2- there are so many other things I need more.  However, the girl in me has always dreamed of the dress and the wedding.  The adult in me realizes I can have that without taking out a 2nd mortgage! Here is where I have cut costs. My site is the Marriott Riverside Verandah.  They have pretty good wedding packages that are all inclusive.  The outdoor patio is gorgeous with gorgeous views and I can have: 10 hours, all of the setup and teardown, tableware, and food /drink for $8k (including gratuity).  That includes also a wedding coordinator for the day, an ice sculpture, chairs, linens, table decorations and 4 hotel rooms comped.  There's more, believe it or not. If anybody is interested, feel free to email me for the info. I'm doing a small wedding cake and Costco sheetcakes.  I would love to learn how to make my own cake stands so if you have any DIY for Dummies ideas, please pass them on.[/QUOTE]

We're having our wedding at the North Star Ballroom which is only going to be about $1800.  We've been incredibly fortunate in the face that a lot of our friends are in some sort of a service business and have given us many things as gifts.. IE: wedding dj, photography, officiant, so forth.  We have a 5K budget and we started to go over it, cut back on some things, and are staying well within our budget.  Kinda stoked about that part actually.  I ended up getting a screaming deal on my wedding dress, and the wedding party is going to be pretty casual... I'm just looking to have a good time :)

[QUOTE]My wedding favors-- small jars of Marrionberry jam from Moppethill Farms. She is at Saturday Market and she will custom make your label at no charge.  The small jars she quoted me at $1.50 each.  I wanted my favors to be functional and fun and Oregon-y. Plus, I freaking love Marrionberry jam. [/QUOTE]

I love Marionberry... We decided to use a local chocolatier for our favors.  He makes fancy chocolates and will package them for us at about $1.10 a piece.  He's also a buddy so he's giving us a pretty good deal... and the chocolate are to die for.  I'm doing something special for the kids attending our wedding as well.. We're making our own activity books and heart shaped crayons that are going to go into a plastic bag with small pieces of candy (tootsie rolls and jolly rogers).  We're also including a scavenger hunt/camera for the kids. - If you're interested in how I did any of that, let me know and I can post some instructions for you. It's SUPER easy.

[QUOTE]The site provides clear glass fishbowls for the tables.  I plan on going to the flower farms and picking dinner plate ,or large, dahlias to float in the water.  As I anticipate only 10-12 tables, this isn't very expensive.  I plan on buying submersible floralytes as well in pink for evening.  12 of those are only maybe what, $36?  Not too shabby! I plan on hitting New Seasons as recommended to check out the costs of flower for bouquets, bouts, and corsages as recommended!  Other than the bouquets, the rest will be hand-picked or bought at a store in bunches. My overall budget is $15k.  Is it set in stone? No-- but I plan on making every effort.  So any ideas on how to cut costs I'd welcome!! Keep the ideas coming!
    Posted by kareneweigel2008[/QUOTE]

I dont know what your cost is on the fresh flowers that you want to float, but this site has floating flowers for 17.99 for 12

<a href="http://www.save-on-crafts.com/flfl2.html" target="_blank">http://www.save-on-crafts.com/flfl2.html</a>

and here is a box of floralytes 10 for $22

<a href="http://www.save-on-crafts.com/floralytes.html" target="_blank">http://www.save-on-crafts.com/floralytes.html</a>
  • edited December 2011
    I hear you ... It's like there aren't any Oregon brides - especially Southern Oregon! I completely get the wariness with the other boards but DIY. I'm a little more than sarcastic (hence my name!) and I can't compete with some of these women. They are just down right mean!

I'm 36 and this is my first marriage and I wanted something that everyone walks away saying "that was so much fun!" For me, it's just about getting legally bound to the man of my dreams. As long as that happens, I'm good with everything else!

We're getting married at a local park in September, I'm wearing a sundress I found for $65 and doing the whole thing for up to 125 people for just about $1,000. We're having a BBQ/backyard picnic theme. The only way I'm able to pull it off is because I've got great friends who are filming the wedding, doing the music and taking my pictures either for free as our wedding present or giving me a great rate because they know we're paying for it ourselves. I'm also DIY-ing a lot of the stuff but that's the fun part for me!

• edited December 2011

What day in September?! 

September is my favorite Oregon month... just becuase it's REALLY the end of the summer and not so much the beginning of the fall :p

• edited December 2011
    I feel the same way about September!!

We're getting married September 18. We picked it because we wanted a fall wedding that was outdoors with the beginnings of great color, but was still fairly warm and not scorching. I love Septembers here because its gorgeous and you rarely need the A/C! 

But after we picked the date I learned it was 93 that day last year. The previous three years it ranged from 70 to 85. I'm hoping that last year was just a fluke!! Smile
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_why?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:9e3acb8f-f4e3-4bbf-aa55-46d8d623c0bbPost:de0969e2-1110-4cc7-9095-608836bafba1">Re: Why?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding favors-- small jars of Marrionberry jam from Moppethill Farms. She is at Saturday Market and she will custom make your label at no charge.  The small jars she quoted me at $1.50 each.  I wanted my favors to be functional and fun and Oregon-y. Plus, I freaking love Marrionberry jam. Posted by kareneweigel2008[/QUOTE]

Our favors were marionberry jam! We made it ourselves (my mom and I) and I made labels that said "Marryin' Berry Jam"

Gotta love a wedding pun!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_why?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:9e3acb8f-f4e3-4bbf-aa55-46d8d623c0bbPost:065b54b7-5b4b-48d8-b5d8-515e1abd8279">Re: Why?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel the same way about September!! We're getting married September 18. We picked it because we wanted a fall wedding that was outdoors with the beginnings of great color, but was still fairly warm and not scorching. I love Septembers here because its gorgeous and you rarely need the A/C!  But after we picked the date I learned it was 93 that day last year. The previous three years it ranged from 70 to 85. I'm hoping that last year was just a fluke!! 
    Posted by snarky_girl[/QUOTE]

we're getting married September 25th... and we're hoping for the rad colors as well... :D

We got an indoor space just because of the fact you never know in Oregon if it's going to be raining or 93 degrees.. hahaha Luckily our place has A/C in case this year decides to be crazy.
  • edited December 2011
    The Oregon board being "dead" doesnt really bother me-I dont think its THAT bad. What bothers me is that over 90% of the posts are all PORTLAND related!(No offense PDX brides) UGH! I live in the small town of Monroe, which is settled between Eugene and Corvallis in the Willamette Valley. FI and I are getting married outdoors on June 25th, 2011 in Corvallis at the Benton County Fairgrounds. Im on a tight budget and a lot of my things are DIY, but I dont brag about most of it. Im not EXTREMELY crafty. But Im doing my own flowers, centerpieces, etc. So if anyone here knows of a good place to buy wholesale flowers in the area let me know! Thanks fellow Oregon brides! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you're going to be in the Portland area anytime soon, you should pop into Howells if you're okay with using silk flowers.  They have the best prices in town.

Of course if you were only coming to Portland for that, it might not be worth it after cost of gas and what not...
  • edited December 2011
    I rarely ever make it up to Portland. Its not really a place I go to just cause.....Im doing my shopping in the Eugene/Springfield and Corvallis/Albany area. But thanks for the tip! Ill be sure to pass it along if anyone asks about silk flowers. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • andij1616andij1616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bethbloom, FI and I have thought about making marionberry jam as our favor, as we're getting married in Marion County.  How many jars did you make, and how long did it take?  Also, if you don't mind answering, about how much did it cost you?  We have never made jam before, so I am not sure if it will be worth it to do it ourselves, or if we should just buy it froms someone like a PP is doing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I love the jam idea! We're using a bit of a fish theme .. we met online at PlentyofFish.com! Our favors are the paper chocolate cake slices with chocolate aquarium like rocks and yellow and white goldfish crackers! Our ribbons for them even say "Splish Splash!" Gotta love the cheeziness of it!!
  • sarahmarietmsarahmarietm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's nice to see the boards so lively again! I felt overwhelmed with all the PDX related posts, because I felt like I couldn't really help, as I have lived in Eugene almost my entire life (with the exception of a year in Hillsboro to go to WCI)!  FI and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, which has made us have to cut back on a lot, but that's okay, we like simple. :)
    I'm lucky in the fact that I have a lot of good connections, and have been calling in a LOT of favors. Speaking of favors, I'm going to be making my famous pumpkin cookies! They're super om-nom, and really easy to make.  I figure I'll wrap them in cute cellophane bags and tie them with cute bows in our wedding colors (blue and white)
    We're getting married in late August, so everyone cross their fingers and toes for good weather!!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Snarky-- What about Swedish Fish candies? Smile
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of including those too .. somewhere. I just am not a big fan of them. Goldfish crackers on the other hand are a weakness. I've even swiped a few from my nephew (he's six and the ringbearer!) when he wasn't guarding his snacks. They just make me smile! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yay! It's happening here!

I totally agree about the other board thing. I get nervous because there are so many regulars and well, I'm not. Plus, since we are on the west coast, by the time I am done with my doings of the day and logon to check stuff out, the conversations, etc. are already over. I do get a lot of good ideas off of them after the fact though.

As far as flowers, there are a lot of places to order them wholesale on the Flowers board, but that doesn't do any good for trying to keep it in the state. I'm trying to grow my own zinnias for centerpieces, but with all this cool weather, I'm not sure they are going to be up in time for my early August wedding.

I'm also in Eugene - getting married at the Yacht Club on Fern Ridge on August 2nd. Trying to DIY and keep it local as much as possible. I don't sew though but wish I did - maybe I'll learn.
  • edited December 2011
    Randie - you should look around online for flowers. I'm from around Salem and there's nowhere around here to really wholesale. theflowerexchange.com and fiftyflowers.com both have great reviews. Also, Costco has some killer flower deals online.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards