South Asian Weddings

NWR: Help with Indian-American boy baby names?

Hi all, I was a SA knottie 2 years ago while planning my wedding.  Wondering if you can help DH & I out with listing any crossover Indian/American names you know, or names that are close (short & easy to pronounce)?  There are no SA boards I know of on the nest or bump, and Google is useless as I get mostly American-Indian baby name results lol.

Ones I know that have been shot down or wait-listed by DH:  Deven, Keva, Neil, Nathan, Nik (Nikhil), Kieran (Kiran), Shawn (Shan)... though I am partial to the last 2 because they are Irish like hubby.  TIA!

Happy Wedding planning to all of you!  This board was always awesome =)

Re: NWR: Help with Indian-American boy baby names?

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations :)

How traditional is your family? Will you be given freedom to name the baby your way or pressured into doing it the traditional way?

R and I were pressured into using the "traditional Indian" way of naming our daughter. R's parents insisted and we compromised by giving her the middle name I wanted. We waited till she was born and gave his grandmother the date and time of her birth. Grandmother consulted an astrologist and got back to is with the first initial. We got "Ch", which gave us few options that we liked; we chose Chandra (and caught hell for choosing an "old-fashioned" name that his parents refuse to call her. *sigh* Can't win with those people.)

Also, some Indian baby name lists, for your perusal:

http://www.indiaexpress.com/specials/babynames/
    http://www.indianhindunames.com/
    http://www.indianchild.com/indian_baby_names.htm
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, thanks for all the info. To answer your question, the baby name decision is totally up to DH and I (my mother came to grips with how little input she has in my life when I went off an married a non-Indian, lol) but I'd like something that both families can pronounce and be comfortable with, even if it's not a common name for them or even just a name that is close to a familiar name.

Also, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandfather.  2 months ago, I lost my extremely healthy and athletic father in an accident, who was instrumental in getting DH more accepted into the family and invited to gatherings, etc.  I am glad the memorial brought you some peace and I am sure he and my Dad are watching over us.  Thanks again for your help
  • edited December 2011
    Well, if the name is up to you two, that opens up a lot of possibilities! I hope you find one that works for you.

Thanks for your kind words regarding my grandfather.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    First, I am sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what that must have been like.

But, Congratulations on your baby! You and your husband must be so excited! I like a lot of the names you mentioned there and think that Nikhil is a great choice for a cross over type of name. My friend named her son that and it's working out really well for them.

What about names that contain Jay? Or just going with Jai? It's pretty simple and can't really be mispronounced. Perhaps misspelled, but I think that's a given with any "non-standard" name.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is from Bangladesh and his parents named him Mobin - his sister is Laili and they are both very easy to pronounce here in Canada!!!
  • edited December 2011
    These are all great suggestions!  Thanks ladies!  Keep them coming!

I knew I came to the right place ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for bringing up this thread! Im Thai/French and my FI is Gujarati and we were just talking about baby names. We were thinking : 

1. Dev
    2. Madan
    3. Mason
    4. Jitesh

FI's brother is named Sunny. That's very american like. Hope that helps! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rv224rv224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

1. Jay/Jai
    2. Dev
    3. Asher
    4. Sameer (Sammy or Sam)
    5. Bobby (popular Punjabi nickname)
    6. Zubin
    7. Rahul
    8. Ishaan (Shan)
    9. Mani (sounds like Manny)
    10. Om
    11. Hari (sounds like Harry)
  • rv224rv224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    two more...

12. Ajay (A.J.)
    13. Vijay (V.J.)
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like 
    Kiran for a boy it sounds both American and Indian together
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like 
    Kiran for a boy it sounds both American and Indian together
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • There are lots of Indian Baby Names which are looking like Indian-American baby boy name such as Rehan, Ronit, Sam, John, Chas, Charlie so many christian baby names in India are looking similar as American names. I can suggest such site which provide the indian baby names with meanings, its http://www.parentingnation.in/Indianbabynames.
  • Hi -  I just stumbled upon this thread, and I am also searching for an indian/american baby boy name.

One name we came across that we like is Kavi,  but im unsure of the correct pronunciation - Kah-vee  or Kuh-vee?    I prefer the Kah-vee pronunciation, which I think most people would go to first phonetically, but concerned if that is clearly a mispronunciation.    Would love any insight!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards