Students

Drowning!!

Okay so for many this is going to sound crazy, but I'm in school, and just finished midterms in my semester.
I got engaged last weekend and am just begining to start my planning process. I'm not able to book a wedding planner, so I'm on my own. My wedding date is May 25, 2012. Which is in 3 months. 
I am trying to keep my head above water with all my school work, tests, and planning! Is there any advice anyone has, or similar situations to help a struggling student who is planning a wedding during a semester. We are both in school, and will finish up about a month before the wedding. 

I'm really stressing out, any and all help would be so appreciated!!!! 

Re: Drowning!!

• I am graduating in May and getting married June 1, 2012. I got engaged in December and started planning. I know you said you cannot afford a wedding planner, but what about a venue that is all inclusive? Depending on how big your wedding will be you may be able to afford this. I am doing mine at an all inclusive (except for cake). It has made things much easier. I have just been doing things every time I have an extra few minutes. I booked my venue and photographer right away. Then I worked on the apparel. Then the cake. Just make a list and take things one at a time. It is totally do-able!

• Why the rush?  I had a year long engagement, which made the planning enjoyable because I could work on it when I had time.

If you have three months, have a nice, simple wedding.  That should take some of the stress off.
  • Annas2013Annas2013 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    All-inclusive sounds like the way to go here.  I've got 15 months before my wedding but honestly that's what I'm leaning towards to.  You don't have to have a planner.  Granted I bought my dress 2 weeks after getting engaged, so that I won't have to worry about it since I've still got 2 and a half semesters left of school and work before I graduate.  Ask your fiance what he wants in a wedding and go from there.  Or ask your mom.  Or his.  I'm sure they'll have advice and ideas for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I agree that you should talk to your Fi about this, make sure he and his family (and yours too!) are okay with doing everything so fast; it might be worth it to wait say a year if anybody wants a larger wedding you have time to plan it plus more time to save money for it right?

That being said, go you for braving the short time period.

As PP said go for a smaller wedding: it will let be able to plan things easier and if you aren't spending a huge portion of your budget on say catering to a whole slew of people you can reallocate that money to some things like centerpieces that you probably won't have the time to DIY.
    Somebody else said something about all inclusive venues- that would be a great option for you too!
    I'd recommend asking for help from family members. If you know where enough about what you want, then see if mom or somebody else you trust can go and something for you.

Personally, I'd sit down and decide what needs to be done ASAP (venue, photographer/videographer) and what could probably wait a little while. I guess what I'm saying is make a wedding binder, or something of the sort that will keep you organized.

Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_drowning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:614209eb-9bfb-42c3-9e28-bfb0208b32dfPost:7ee7171c-269b-4263-b954-dc2f69c5cbc8">Re: Drowning!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that you should talk to your Fi about this, make sure he and his family (and yours too!) are okay with doing everything so fast; it might be worth it to wait say a year if anybody wants a larger wedding you have time to plan it plus more time to save money for it right? That being said, go you for braving the short time period.
    Posted by Bay21[/QUOTE]
    If the poster and her fiance are paying for the wedding themselves, then if their families want a later, larger wedding really doesn't matter.  Me and my fiance are only having a 9 month engagement.  While that is not as short as the OP's, I do not want to have a long dragged out engagement.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Just a thought for 3 months...if you want a big deal..at 3 months out you might not be able to get a venue you like (or big enough) at a price you can afford, you will have to buy your dress off the rack, and many other things will already be booked for that date if you want the whole big shading. If you are admit about that date, expect to do really low key, and possibly having to DIY a lot or spending a lot since you dont have time to watch for sales etc. May is wedding season, so its a lot harder to get stuff at the last minute (a baker/florest/dj/caterer etc). Seeing as you are also in school, I would say either have a small wedding (maybe a destination wedding?), or push your date back (why the rush anyways?) if you want a more traditional bells and frills wedding.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Make sure you have some very supportive friends to help out!!

We were going to doing it all ourselves and stay away from a wedding planner, but between working full time, night school classes, and wedding planning, I got way too overwhelmed and FI hired a wedding planner for me.  Definitely worth it....you will thank yourself in the end!  If that is definitely not going to work out for you, the ladies of The Knot are very supportive if you ever need any advice!

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Have you considered a wedding planner? Or maybe even asking your wedding party if they'd be able to help you "divide the labor" and work on the wedding together?

I got engaged in October, but because of living halfway across the country from home, where my wedding will be, and finances, I couldn't get much of anything done until February for my July wedding. It's a bit stressful, especially with school, but with all the help I've enlisted from friends, it's definitely do-able. I had no trouble booking vendors or venues, but then again I'm from small town Iowa. If your wedding is in a big city or something like that, you might have more trouble..I really couldn't say.

Bottom line - don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help, be it from your future husband, friends, or family. They'll be there for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards