Catholic Weddings
Options

Prayer of the faithful - Petition

On Saturday, we discussed with our priest an appropriate way to honor FI's mother who is deceased.  He said most people will write their own petition, to be read during the Prayer of the Faithful.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to write the petition.  I assume we would mention her by name, but do we state her relation to the groom?  Any other thoughts or suggestions on how to write a short but sweet, tactful, respectful, but not overly "in your face" petition?

Re: Prayer of the faithful - Petition

• Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We honored my deceased mother and my husband's deceased uncle in our Prayer of the Faithful.  This is the petition we used:

For those who died: especially Bride’s mother, Jane Doe, Groom's uncle, John Smith, and other members of the Doe and Smith families, that they live in happiness with God, enjoying forever what eye has not seen, ear has not heard, and heart has not dreamed.

We Pray to the Lord.

Of course we used our actual names instead of Bride and Groom, but you get the idea.  I also was allowed to have a memorial candle in honor of my mother that my father and I lit after we walked down aisle.

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I read the prayers of the faithful at a friend's wedding and this is what they used:

For family members who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, especially John Doe, we pray to the Lord:
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_prayer-of-faithful-petition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:af5fb19e-ca38-4036-8669-302df6aa4219Post:49f9e6c7-a099-40e5-b6b9-499091ae7f20">Re: Prayer of the faithful - Petition</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read the prayers of the faithful at a friend's wedding and this is what they used: For family members who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, especially John Doe, we pray to the Lord:
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

You can only use that if they were baptized.
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, thank you! I was about to ask this too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards