January 2012 Weddings

Officially changed my name...

I got to the SS office to change my name. It really wasn't that bad, I was only there for a half hour. now to change everything else.

Re: Officially changed my name...

• Woot Woot!
    I had found it to be a pain, but tolerable. I still don't have a lot switched over cause I have forgotten. But thats ok!

Hope you are resting this weekend!
    OR
    sewing me something cool. (I am still thinking on what I want. ) ;)
  • How long do you think it will take to change my passport? We are going to Jamaica on April 7 and I wonder if I should start the name change process now or wait until after we return from Jamaica.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • WHen you went to the SS office, do they need their own copy of your marriage certificate? or do they give it back to you? I'm wondering if I should order extra copies.  Whats the actual procedure when you go there for the card? Thanks! :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_officially-changed-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:4126c16c-dc79-4f0c-8a25-3ca1b952966cPost:87a21bab-6a7b-4a21-9c67-83ffe775f562">Re: Officially changed my name...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Woot Woot! I had found it to be a pain, but tolerable. I still don't have a lot switched over cause I have forgotten. But thats ok! Hope you are resting this weekend! OR sewing me something cool. (I am still thinking on what I want. ) ;)
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

Unfortunetly, probably won't be sewing at all for the next few months. So busy with lesson plans. I am resting now, or procrastinating.

[QUOTE]How long do you think it will take to change my passport? We are going to Jamaica on April 7 and I wonder if I should start the name change process now or wait until after we return from Jamaica.
    Posted by TaraW1979[/QUOTE]

It depends what is on your airline tickets. It was better for me to change it, because it will be easier to apply for my cert when I graduate, then having to change the name in the mid cert process. i think you could get away with either at this point, but if you do decide to change it before you go, you should start the process ASAP.

[QUOTE]WHen you went to the SS office, do they need their own copy of your marriage certificate? or do they give it back to you? I'm wondering if I should order extra copies.  Whats the actual procedure when you go there for the card? Thanks! :D
    Posted by That Gal[/QUOTE]
    They just look at everything and give it right back to you. You only need your marriage lisence and a driver's license, state issued photo id, or passport, but you can take your birth certificate along for them to update records. But if you don't have it, you don't need it. I don't think you will need to order any extra copies.
  • thank you ! this helps a lot!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Remember if you booked your honeymoon tickets in your maiden name, it might be easier to change it after you get back.

I forgot and made the flight ticket out in my maiden name.  So now, I can't change my passport cause my maiden name is on it. My DL has a different name. opppss!
  • I haven't purchased my airline tickets yet for Jamaica.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad to hear it went well for you! We will be going on Monday and I hope it goes well for us too.

When we applied for our marriage license, they told us the SS office has been keeping the certified copies of marriage licenses. Each time you make a request for certified copies, it's $14 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy so they suggested we get at least 2 copies.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_officially-changed-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:4126c16c-dc79-4f0c-8a25-3ca1b952966cPost:c2147bf2-edd9-41b5-a4d7-ccea1af0d476">Re: Officially changed my name...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Glad to hear it went well for you! We will be going on Monday and I hope it goes well for us too. When we applied for our marriage license, they told us the SS office has been keeping the certified copies of marriage licenses. Each time you make a request for certified copies, it's $14 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy so they suggested we get at least 2 copies.
    Posted by Cony&Ben[/QUOTE]
    Maybe it is different in different states... They didn't keep mine. I have the original and a certified copy.

Jen, I hope you don't have problems. I was told that everything... SS card, DL and Passport have to match. You might want to check into it.
  • tara. my sister n law has been married for 2 years now. and legally has changed her name with social security. but still travels with her maiden name on her passport. they still can claim together because you have the same address. same for when my husband and i just got back from our honeymoon. traveled as my maiden but claimed as a family due to same address. 
    image 500 Invited! image 300 Ready to party! image 28 Party Poopers! image 172 MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The social security office has been the only easy part of my name change process.  It took me a week to finally get my driver's license changed.  The tag agency sent me to the DMV.  I had to go their twice because the first time I didn't take enough time off work.  I learned to call before going.  Called the bank, still had to make two trips.  They told me I wouldn't need DH but guess what...I did. 

I just got my SS card back this weekend.  YAY. So I went in to HR to change it today.  So far that's been a smooth process.  Then I lost my name badge this afternoon, luckily it was still my maiden name.  I'm getting a new one anyways.  I've still got to change my passport.  On that you do have to send a certified copy of your marriage license with your old passport.  They send it back to you, but you'll have to wait a few weeks for it. 

The list seems never ending.  And I've had other problems with other places, but those are more localized companies.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_officially-changed-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:4126c16c-dc79-4f0c-8a25-3ca1b952966cPost:1605dc90-0c85-4389-9e07-04545d4c0281">Re: Officially changed my name...</a>:
    [QUOTE]The social security office has been the only easy part of my name change process.  It took me a week to finally get my driver's license changed.  The tag agency sent me to the DMV.  I had to go their twice because the first time I didn't take enough time off work.  I learned to call before going.  Called the bank, still had to make two trips.  They told me I wouldn't need DH but guess what...I did.  I just got my SS card back this weekend.  YAY. So I went in to HR to change it today.  So far that's been a smooth process.  Then I lost my name badge this afternoon, luckily it was still my maiden name.  I'm getting a new one anyways.  I've still got to change my passport.  On that you do have to send a certified copy of your marriage license with your old passport.  They send it back to you, but you'll have to wait a few weeks for it.  The list seems never ending.  And I've had other problems with other places, but those are more localized companies.
    Posted by shellmaneth[/QUOTE]

I am not looking forward to doing some of them....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards