Pennsylvania
Options

Vent - Reception site search

My fiance and I got engaged in July and are trying to plan a wedding for next June, 2012, in the Reading area.  I usually don't post on the boards, but I'm so frustrated right now that I just have to vent.

I am a non-profit fundraiser and as part of my job, I plan events...lots of events.  I am finding it very difficult to be on this side - planning a wedding vs. an organizational event.  I am finding that venues have ridiculous minimums and aren't willing to work with you at all.  Everyone has 'packages' and won't deviate from them...we have to go with a FULL open bar, we can't reduce to just a beer and wine bar...or, we can, but they won't lower the price.  Or, they won't because its a Saturday wedding.  My family is from western PA - so with traveling, I feel like a Saturday wedding works best for us.  And why should a Saturday wedding be more expensive....weddings on other days are just as important.  If their package includes a cake, I ask what the price difference would be to not have the cake....my sister-in-law is a cake decorator.  Nothing - no change.  Maybe they will throw in an extra cheese platter.

I about hit the roof last weekend when I thought that we had found a beautiful tented location...only to drive up and see the tent permanently set up in the middle of a dirt and gravel parking lot.

Sometimes I think that I should plan an 'event' under my organization's name - that would make it a whole heck of a lot easier and less expensive!  (Yeah - I know - I can't really so that....but its a nice dream)

Ok - think I'm done.  Thanks for listening!

"But the most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just Fabulous." - Carrie Sex and the City

Re: Vent - Reception site search

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry you are going through all this :(
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A place I would recommend, if you are having a smaller wedding, is the Moselem springs country club or golden oaks golf club. Both are in the fleetwood/kutztown area. I don't remember there being any minimums, and everything was ala carte, food and beverages. The only downside is that both are rather small, with a hundred people at most. Another place to suggest would be the Barn at flying hills, which is a location only, in which you would hire a caterer, which would also help with your open bar and cake. Good Luck!
  • Options
    okeefehokeefeh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That stinks :(
    It might be quite far for you but have you heard of the Empress Room in Blue Bell PA (its right off the North East Extension in Montgomery County). I'm in a wedding there next month and my friend picked it for the simple fact that alcohol is not included, they do pretty much everything else. It might be worth a look if you wanted to just hire a bartender and supply beer and wine. Just a thought, good luck with everything!!!

http://paravaticatering.net/wedding.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards