Pre-wedding Parties

Have a shower? Shower ideas?

I'm planning a wedding across the country.  The shower and wedding will be in PA, but I just moved to Wyoming.  We've registered on Amazon so that people can ship the gifts to us in WY, and most of the items have the free shipping over $25, so that should eliminate a lot of the shipping costs.  

However, since there hopefully won't be too many gifts to open at the shower (because it would be very expensive to get them back to WY) we're trying to get creative with shower ideas.  My mom and aunts would like to throw a shower and still celebrate together.  Does this kind of defeat the purpose in a way?  (Not that we want it to be all about gifts either.)  

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I'd really appreciate it!

Re: Have a shower? Shower ideas?

• edited December 2011
    Most wedding registries have a place for you to put a shipping address, and you can use that address so that you don't have to take the gifts home. However, I would plan on having to figure out how to get some gifts home. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a shower for a bride who had moved to the other side of the country. About half of the guests had their gifts shipped via her registry. Some of them printed out or drew (very funny) pictures of the gifts that they had purchased and wrapped them in gift boxes so the bride would have packages to open. A few people wrote clues about their gifts in cards so the bride could guess what they had bought. The bride was a good sport and made a fuss over each gift as she opened them. It was a lot of fun.

Half of the guests brought boxed gifts. The bms, as their gift to the bride, chipped in to cover the cost of shipping those gifts.

You should be prepared that guests will show up with actual gifts. If you have a luggage set, you could place one suitcase inside another so you have an extra empty suitcase to pack with smaller gifts to carry home. Don't forget to check the checked baggage charges ahead of time.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We ran into a similar situation with my nephew.  Some of the guests chose to give a gift card to the store at which the couple registered.  But, so that there was an actual gift for the bride to open, a small, "accompaniment" gift was given. 

For example, if a slow cooker was on the list of registered items, a ladle, along with a gift card,  was purchased, wrapped, and given to the bride at the shower to open.  A note written inside the shower card would say something along the lines of, "We hope you enjoy using this gift card to purchase the slow cooker you have registered for". 

Obviously, the bride is under no obligation to actually purchase that item.  Some guests went this route; others still preferred to bring purchased gifts to the shower; and others yet bought gifts and had them shipped.  It is just another option to consider.
  • aprilcduncanaprilcduncan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That helps a lot!  My mom had mentioned the idea of possibly wrapping up pictures or something like that, but we weren't sure how it would go over.  Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards