Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need help coming up with kid's meal

We thought we had the kid's meal down (same as adult meal, but one main course would be different), but the chef told us we should reconsider some of the items since the kids would likely not eat it or prefer something else.

The adults will get a 7-course meal, and we would like to have just as many courses for the kids (since the kids will be sitting beside their parents and we don't want them feeling left out). This is the idea we came up with so far, but we are more than open to any suggestions and ideas. Thank you!

1: passed appetizers (need to be same as adults, venue won't change this).
2: spaghetti with meatballs.
3: chicken noodle soup.
4: fries with chicken breast OR half a boneless cornish hen (undecided)
6: lemon sorbet stuffed in a lemon fruit shell (same as adults)
7: cabbage rolls (same as parents, it's a cultural wedding food staple)
8: tartufo (exotic gelato ball dipped in chocolate) and wedding cake.
All followed by a late night station (undecided as to what, but likely crepes flambe).

What do you ladies think? Any substitutions, ideas, etc? 

Re: Need help coming up with kid's meal

• You don't have any vegetables.  Are the adults having a salad course?  I would give the kids a salad then or veggie sticks. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_need-coming-up-kids-meal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0f7460a3-2356-40a9-9364-35b3252e0d0cPost:d757e3df-5d88-492c-a63a-b019f974ae1c">Re: Need help coming up with kid's meal</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have any vegetables.  Are the adults having a salad course?  I would give the kids a salad then or veggie sticks. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

<div>Sorry, I should have mentioned... the main dishes all come with a side of veggies (both the kid's chicken AND the cabbage rolls). The venue originally told us about veggies and dip, but FMIL said that kids don't like that and took it out :S</div><div>
    </div><div>I think a salad is a good idea, though! I was thinking that maybe instead of the spaghetti, which could be messy to eat, we could offer some macaroni and cheese with a good helping of salad on the side?</div>
  • That's too much food for a kid.  They don't need the same number of courses as their parents just to keep it "even."  I would lose the chicken noodle soup, then offer either spaghetti OR chicken and fries.  Kids would probably be weirded out by a cornish game hen.
  • I want to meet the kid who will sit through a seven course meal.  I'm an adult and total foodie and even I'd be getting bored.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I would go with the chicken instead of the hen.

And I might pick a different pasta, like ziti, instead of spaghetti. I don't want to sit anywhere near the kid with spaghetti in my nice dress.

The venue originally told us about veggies and dip, but FMIL said that kids don't like that and took it out :S

Most kids who don't like vegetables, don't like them because their parents (aka your FMIL) have a bad attitude about them.
    I loved veggies as a kid and would have preferred them to the french fries.

The rest of the menu looks fine.

I fyou do skip a course for the kids, I'd skip the spaghetti and meatballs.
  • Scrap the pizza and have just the veggies and dip for that course. That's my opinion, anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_need-coming-up-kids-meal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0f7460a3-2356-40a9-9364-35b3252e0d0cPost:c4e423a9-0412-48ad-81b8-01be0cd33471">Re: Need help coming up with kid's meal</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's true about spaghetti being messy, and I'm totally fine substituting it with pizza. I wasn't too sure about the soup either, that one was a major messy red flag for me, but FMIL keeps insisting that the kid's can't not have something when the adults are (the adults get French onion soup). 
    Posted by andra loves andre[/QUOTE]
    Just my opinion here, but why can't kids have the same things as adults?  I'm sure there will be some appetizers, a smaller portion of a few dishes that if the parents can pick and choose that they could put together a plate for their child of foods they feel the kid would eat.  I am not doing a child specific menu at my wedding, but I do feel that there will be plenty of options that children won't go hungry.  Granted, I'm not a parent, but I don't buy into the idea that all kids are super picky eaters.  I know I wasn't that picky of an eater as a kid, and if my parents put something in front of me, I at least tried it.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Not all kids want "kids menu" food. I would keep the kids choice simple, but with something universal, like a flat bread pizza. They can munch on that for some time, and not be overwhelmed. I have two children, one of whom would eat every bite on the adult menu, and one who wouldn't touch anything but pizza. Kids like little bites, and food they can dip would be great, so really, you only need the parent menu + pizza for kids. The last thing you want is a messy, overwhelmed child!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards