Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Date through facebook

I'm thinking about sending a save the date notice to my guests through facebook. I am planning on sending paper invites to the guests later on. This came up after I noticed that some pleople send STD notices through email. Any thoughts?

Re: Save the Date through facebook

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_save-the-date-through-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a7d33b25-ef54-4334-b568-f9e8d37f67d3Post:a8fb675b-11ea-47f7-9a55-d0d3133022c4">Save the Date through facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking about sending a save the date notice to my guests through facebook. I am planning on sending paper invites to the guests later on. This came up after I noticed that some pleople send STD notices through email. Any thoughts?
    Posted by NatalieL2013[/QUOTE]

The only problem I forsee is with how public Facebook is.  I'd be afraid of people sharing the STD with others and increasing your guest list on you, even if unintentional.  You have much more control sending STDs to people through the mail.

In the alternative, you could always just not send STDs at all.  Many women don't.
  • I personally find FB, evites, etc too casual for something like a wedding, even if it is just the STDs. And what about the people who don't use FB? Some older people don't even use email.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's best to keep all wedding related stuff off Facebook so that you don't get the rude inquiry from a long ago friend about where their invite is, etc.  When you post about your wedding, you open yourself up to those types of things.

And a wedding is a formal affair and should have proper stationary.  If price is of consideration for you.  Vistaprint has postcards that are inexpensive, that you can use as STDs.  They frequently have sales and groupons are listed in the DIY section of TK all the time, so you can save lots of money that way.  I just purchased 60 Christmas cards, 5x7 flat cards, upgraded the paper and the envelopes.  My total was $7 for shipping and the $17 I paid for the groupon.  I know you can do just as well with your STDs!
  • I wouldn't put anything on Facebook that you are not comfortable sharing with everyone you are connected to.  Not to mention, the people you are connected to may share it with others.
  • Nope. Avoid using facebook for anything wedding related.  If you want to do an electronic STD, do it via email.  I still think it's not "nice" enough for a wedding, but it's much better than facebook.
  • Please don't so this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it's a very casual wedding, I think you could get away with it.  However, I personally would not put wedding stuff on FB because quite a few of the acquaintances on there are not invited.

If I did it, I would post it as an event and set the privacy settings to "Invite Only".  From my understanding, if you do that, only the people you invite can see the event and only you (or any other hosts that you add) could add people ot it.  You do run the risk of them showing it to other people on their screen but on that note, they could do the same thing with a regular STD or invitation.

Whatever you do, don't send it as a message!  I have not yet found a way to send a message and restrict the receiver from adding other people to the conversation.  However, you do run into that problem with e-mail as well.  People could forward the STD on to others.

And finally, you really don't have to have STDs if it's that much trouble.  I didn't.  The people that you think need to know ahead of time for planning purposes, you can just e-mail or call up and let them know when and where it is.
  • Do you mean post it on facebook, or send private mail through Facebook rather than through normal email? Either way, I wouldn't. Not everyone sees Facebook private mail messages.

If I were doing email save-the-dates, I wouldn't send it as an "evite" style. I would just write a normal email message and send it to everyone.
  • Stuck in a box-
    I'm purposely bumping this old thread. I'm thinking about sending a message with an image STD to everyone I have friended on Facebook. This would be probably about half the guests, then rely on them to spread the word to others. I don't have email addresses for anyone anymore. It's just not the way I communicate with my family, we all use Facebook. If I were to design a nice STD and send out via message- is that still tacky or is it OK? I personally see it as one in the same with email, but I work in social media so I'm aware that I may not have a majority opinion here.
  • SBmini said:
    Stuck in a box-
    I'm purposely bumping this old thread. I'm thinking about sending a message with an image STD to everyone I have friended on Facebook. This would be probably about half the guests, then rely on them to spread the word to others. I don't have email addresses for anyone anymore. It's just not the way I communicate with my family, we all use Facebook. If I were to design a nice STD and send out via message- is that still tacky or is it OK? I personally see it as one in the same with email, but I work in social media so I'm aware that I may not have a majority opinion here.
    I don't think a facebook message (or email for that matter) is the proper way to communicate a wedding related announcement.  I would either skip the STDs (they're not required!) or mail them.  
  • I did this. We had a really casual wedding and I wasn't going to send STDs at all because I didn't want the hassle or the expense. But then people kept asking when the date was, so I just created a little JPEG. I sent it in a private message to all our Facebook friends on our guest list and my mom emailed it to family. If you're having a formal wedding or you have formal friends, it might not be appropriate. But it was perfect for ours.
  • I have more people who have to travel and need advance warning than not, so we'll be issuing STDs pretty soon.

The problem with electronic ones is they are easy to miss and tough to keep private. It isn't so much about "tacky" as, this is impractical if you want to be sure everybody (especially older guests, busy professionals, and not tech-savvy types) got the message and that people who aren't invited didn't accidentally get copied on it.
  • Unless you're comfortable with everyone you know on Facebook seeing it (and who knows who else), I wouldn't do this.

• SBmini said:
    Stuck in a box-
    I don't get it. You're relying on people on fbook to spread word of your wedding? And anyone they tell will then be invited?

Why not just contact your VIPs and clear the date with them?

Anniversary

• I got an invite on Facebook recently to a PUBLIC group with all the info for the bachelorette party, family brunch, etc. and no clarification if what I was actually invited to. I invited my fiancé to the group because he hadn't been, but I could easily have invited my whole friend list. I'm still a bit steamed and an putting off contacting the bride about what I'm actually invited to.

Now, FB geniuses will not be quite so crass about it -- it is possible to make private groups, etc. -- but it just rubs me the wrong way. I would use FB to get folks' emails and then use an evite company such as Paperless Post to send out a nice e-card, if you want to go the electronic route.
  • Facebook is logistically not a good idea.

It's fine, but casual, to send emails with the date to everyone, or a pdf STD via email.  
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    JoanE2012 said:

I don't think a facebook message (or email for that matter) is the proper way to communicate a wedding related announcement.  I would either skip the STDs (they're not required!) or mail them.  
    We've sort of missed our opportunity for mailed STD if you look at traditional timing. We weren't able to get engagement photos done and now we're at the six month mark. 

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I guess I could ask for email addresses via facebook to send it via Email... I just think that's an extra step for what will be the exact same deliverable. 
  • I got an invite on Facebook recently to a PUBLIC group with all the info for the bachelorette party, family brunch, etc. and no clarification if what I was actually invited to. I invited my fiancé to the group because he hadn't been, but I could easily have invited my whole friend list. I'm still a bit steamed and an putting off contacting the bride about what I'm actually invited to. Now, FB geniuses will not be quite so crass about it -- it is possible to make private groups, etc. -- but it just rubs me the wrong way. I would use FB to get folks' emails and then use an evite company such as Paperless Post to send out a nice e-card, if you want to go the electronic route.
    Yeah- that person is a moron. My fiance got a wedding invite via Facebook and the groom claimed it was "to be eco friendly." Then we all had to comment on whether we wanted chicken or steak.... talk about an RSVP nightmare. I'm not sure if they just did that for friends or everyone.
  • Hi there! this may be a silly question, but how did you create your jpeg image for the save the date? Was it a customized template that you filled out online, or something else?
  • tephnatephna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    This is an older thread-- but I just had to comment on this-- a lot of people mentioned that you shouldn't put it on Facebook because then everyone will see it and that's simply not true. There are a lot of privacy settings that if you're tech savvy you can utilize to make this just as mum as sending a paper card. I think it's a fair idea especially if you're sending paper invites later and you don't have everyone's mailing address. I think it's an updated and interesting way to tackle an old-fashioned task. 
  • tephna said:
    This is an older thread-- but I just had to comment on this-- a lot of people mentioned that you shouldn't put it on Facebook because then everyone will see it and that's simply not true. There are a lot of privacy settings that if you're tech savvy you can utilize to make this just as mum as sending a paper card. I think it's a fair idea especially if you're sending paper invites later and you don't have everyone's mailing address. I think it's an updated and interesting way to tackle an old-fashioned task. 
    But you will eventually have to get everyone's mailing address so why not just get all the addresses for the STDs and mail them out?  Also, I find that anything I receive via FB or email makes the event seem extremely casual which may not be the way you want your wedding to be perceived.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards