Latino Weddings

I'm bummed :(

Ok chicas so I had my 2nd dress fitting yesterday ( at first fitting I needed to order a smaller size after losing 25lbs!) and it fit ALMOST perfect! Yay right?! But as I moved around I noticed I was dragging a little so we decided to take a little off the hem. As the lady is pinning the hem I notice I keep having to pull my dress up so my bra doesn't show. So we decide to take in a little on each side. Well after all the measurements are taken she hands me to bill. $272!!!! Is that normal?! I nearly cried! I feel like I got ripped off :/

Re: I'm bummed :(

• edited December 2011
    I've heard brides paying more for alterations. That price isn't to bad. Don't worry it's so worth it! Just think how fabulous you will look at your final fitting :)
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah alterations are where they get you.  Before I ordered my dress, the bridal salon informed me that they had a maximal amount of 350$ for alterations no matter what you get done.  It seemed like a blessing from above.  I had to order my dress custom lenght because I'm so damn short which cost 150 but that's decudted from the 350 of alterations.  I'm ultra petite so I know they'll have to stll take in the waist + put in some cups so I can get some fake cleavage.  I would have passed the 350$ in other stores I think.

Congrats on losing 25lbs!  That's amazing!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

That sucks! And especially when you werent expecting it, I'm sorry! Congrats on losing 25 lbs though! That's amazing! :)

• edited December 2011
    Thank Jennifer, Cynthia, and Nati!!! I feel much better knowing that I didn't get ripped off. Your right Jen, it is worth it to see the final fit and it being perfect! I'm very happy I lost the weight because although the dress is beautiful, I didn't feel beautiful in it when I was heavier. On this second fitting, I finally felt beautiful in it :) It's really awesome assurance that you picked the right dress when other ladies in the store stop and tell you they love your dress!
  • edited December 2011

I too have heard stories of outragious alteration bills....I think the important thing is that you are going to feel comfortable in a dress that fits well, so it is worth it!  But, ya....also totally bites!!!

• edited December 2011
    Yes it was totally unexpected and I was caught off guard, but I didn't want my dress to drag and have to try to keep pulling it up. It just sucks when you feel like you've got a great deal on a dress and then you add on the alteration costs and BAM, not such a deal after all! I hope no more unexpected costs come up before the wedding or I'm really gonna freak out!!!
  • edited December 2011
    hey ladies, 
    so let me ask something. Is it rude to ask for the alterations cost before you buy the dress? do you think they would even tell you since it "will depend on the alterations needed?".  
    I am a bit anxious about dress shopping and finding the right one. my grandmother is coming from peru and we are doing the dress shopping all togehter. I want it to be a special day/trip but I am worried that stuff like this, alteration fees, money in general, will ruin the magic! 
    Nat
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's rude to inquire about money you are about to spend. They weren't able to tell me how much alterations would cost because I had to make a seperate alterations appt with the seamstress. I still wasn't told how much it would cost until I had my second fitting. But I didn't have to pay for alterations until the alterations appt, which gives you time to save up!
    Word of advice to those who haven't purchased their dress: If you plan on losing weight (or gaining weight for all you skinny minnies), I would do that BEFORE buying your dress. I didn't because I honestly didn't think I would be able to lose the weight. Good luck Rockstar!
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my bridal shop, you had a set alterations price...some places are like that. It was a bad deal for me, because my dress literally only needed a hem and a bustle. Oh and I added bra cups to it. I felt a bit ripped off, but I knew it going in... (and it's unusual to need so little done...I ordered a dress from a designer that makes it to measure, usually you need more alterations so it's a good deal).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_im-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:b4557d82-1404-4031-96da-835e1925fd1aPost:872227ca-20cd-4925-a6c6-99f78c9434fe">Re: I'm bummed :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]hey ladies,  so let me ask something. Is it rude to ask for the alterations cost before you buy the dress? do you think they would even tell you since it "will depend on the alterations needed?".   I am a bit anxious about dress shopping and finding the right one. my grandmother is coming from peru and we are doing the dress shopping all togehter. I want it to be a special day/trip but I am worried that stuff like this, alteration fees, money in general, will ruin the magic!  Nat
    Posted by rockstarnat[/QUOTE]

It's not rude to ask however it's difficult for them to give you a price if they charge say by hour or by amount of work.  If your dress has more beading, it's more work so they might charge more.  It's a good idea to get a ballpark figure though.

Don't let money ruin your day if not every single wedding expense is going to feel ruined.  Enjoy yourself and have fun with your family.

Another piece of advice:  if you are a short bride (like me! I'm 5'1) a good idea is to get your dress ordered from hollow to hem i.e. custom lenght.  That way you lose NO beading, no detail work and it might actually save you some alterations costs.  I had my first fitting yesterday.  I paid 150$ for custom lenght and it fit beautifully.  The beading on the dress looks amazing.  All the seamstress has to do now is take it in at the waist and bust.  The seamstress even passed a comment about how every bride should have their dress ordered that way.  it might be something to consider.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's a little outrageous. I'm only paying $35 for alterations.
    November 2011 Siggy - My Love and I

PhotobucketPhotobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is November 18th, 2011

451 invited 314 Are ready to party! 61 can't make it 77 is MIA
    RSVP Date October 31st, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Lucky you Kristee! What did you need altered?
    Cynthia I am a shortie too, 5'1". I checked my receipt and altering the hem was only $125. Don't know how much they would have charged me for custom length though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards