Connecticut
Options

***MANEELEY'S REVIEW....KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!

I was a guest at a wedding over the weekend, where FI was apart of the wedding party. The wedding was beautiful however my overall experience at the reception site was horrible!! 

The reception was held at Maneeleys in South Windsor, CT. I don't normally write reviews after attending other people's events however I feel like I need to worn my knottie brides to be! STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN!

MANEELEYS REVIEW!!
**Customer Service=F-
If I could give this place a lower score I would!!! The bride and groom asked my friend and I to sit at the gift table during the reception (In my culture- its common for a trusted person or two to sit at the gift table throughout the reception. This is done to prevent theft also a list of names/phone numbers of the people who contributed is created for the bride and groom to make the whole process of mailing thank you cards/calling people after the ceremony easier). When the servers began to serve salad, bread, AND other appetizers we noticed that we were not getting served. My friend asked one of the servers if we were going to be provided with food. The server stated she was told by her manager not to serve us. We then asked to speak to the manager. The general manager (who was also the coordinator for the day) Sandy was extremely rude!!! When I asked her about getting served  she shouted "If you want to get served you need to sit at a regular table! You know, I've had it up to here (at this point she raised her right hand over head) with this wedding!! This wedding was supposed to be for 200 people yet we are trying to accomodate more than !!.." At this point the guests (including my pastor, church friends ect) at the reception were just in disbelief with her tone of voice and demeanor. I then replied "please do not talk to me like that, if you have any problem you can take it to the bride and groom whom instructed me to sit here" She then shouted"I will talk to you like this at this point I have had it... who told you to sit here?! who told you to sit here?!" My friend approached me and asked me what was going on, I started to explain the story to my friend and Sandy physically came in between my friend and I while we were talking and began to explain her side of the story to my friend by shouting. At this point I walked away.

Prior to my encounter with Sandy, unbeknownst to me, there was a problem with the seating arrangements. More people arrived to the reception site than the bride and groom expected!! (A BRIDE AND GROOMS WORST NIGHTMARE) The best man and some of the groomsmen tried to solve this situation without letting the bride and groom know by paying for the extra (2) tables and chair set up.. SANDY,  yelled at the groomsmen and bestman and told them that they were not willing to put out extra tables and chairs because they have to pay for them! Instead of Sandy taking her to the back she went as far as sticking out her hand and saying you have to pay me now! This was all unfolded in the middle of the dance floor!!  (During this time, it was 1hr into recepion the bride and groom were outside stressing about their missing DJ and MC)! 

Food= C
The bride and groom chose to have a buffet, which is a good way to save money however, the food was horrible!!! Nobody went for additional food!! The potatoes were overseasoned and very salty! The beef was very rubbery, the vegetables were very good (which is why I gave them a C and not an F in this area). I also gave them a "C" in this area because one of the servers (Katie) was very nice to my friend and I after witnessing the blow out between Sandy and I. She served my friend and I even though Sandy instructed her not to! (my heart goes out to the servers because if Sandy feels like she can talk to guests the way she did, then I can only imagine how she speaks to her staff!!!)! The kid's had macarroni and cheese which appeared very watery, along with chicken tenders which was cold. 

My heart goes out to the bride and groom because this was their special day! There were many things that went wrong that day however none that was topped by Sandy's outburst to the guests!! If Sandy would've kept her composure, she would have been able to save the bride and grooms big day!

BEWARE OF MANEELEY'S KNOTTIES!!! Knotties if you are looking for staff, at a reception site, that will provide you with support, remain calm and willing to work with you  to make your special day the best then look ELSEWHERE!! If you would like a place that will give you and your guests stress!!! Look no more! You found the right place because Maneeley's will give you an extra pound of stress on your big day!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ***MANEELEY'S REVIEW....KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!

• Options
    cgbabe229cgbabe229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is absolutely horrible!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to say, if TONS more people came to the wedding than the venue was expecting I would damn well expect them to get paid right that second. I am sure this also left them SUPER short staffed so as to not be able to accommodate service to random gift attendant tables. I definitely think the manager handled this with poor tact, but really? Did the bride and groom really expect that, with  their counts so far off (THEIR FAULT),the venue be able to transition quickly without wanting to get paid upfront or with an entirely flawless demeanor?Sure Sandy could use a big lesson in how to tackle challenges like this in front of guests, but the bride and groom really screwed her when they got the counts so far off.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:b91bfeb8-91a0-4b65-b042-a8996f5d5f61">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to say, if TONS more people came to the wedding than the venue was expecting I would damn well expect them to get paid right that second. I am sure this also left them SUPER short staffed so as to not be able to accommodate service to <strong>random gift attendant tables</strong>. I definitely think the manager handled this with poor tact, but really? <strong>Did the bride and groom really expect that, with  their counts so far off (THEIR FAULT),</strong>the venue be able to transition quickly without wanting to get paid upfront or with an entirely flawless demeanor?Sure Sandy could use a big lesson in how to tackle challenges like this in front of guests, <strong>but the bride and groom really screwed her when they got the counts so far off.</strong>
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

<div><strong>The wedding industry much like any other industry where you deal with people is full of surprises. You have to expect the unexpected and when the unexpected arises you have to deal with it in a professional manner!!! For example, I am an RN (being a nurse I am always short staffed but guess what? I am still liable for each and everyone of my patients safety and happiness!), if a fire was to ever arise on my unit (God forbid) neither I, nor anyone who works in the hospital would ever run around screaming FIRE!! WHY? Bc we are trained on to how react if such an adverse event was to ever happen furthermore, we do not want to alarm the patients and their family members(so we always keep people like Sandy in mind). Instead we have special codes (i.e. code red, Dr. Armstrong ect) that the employees know the meanings of and we know how to act if anyone one of the codes were ever called! <u>ON that note this is not about pointing fingers!! It's about the principle!! There is a way you handle tough situations and in this case Ms. Sandy handled it poorly!!!!</u> As I stated earlier, THE GROOMSMEN AND BEST MAN WERE WILLING TO PAY  CHECK, CREDIT CARD ECT UPFRONT(which they paid)- their only request was for Sandy and the other staff not to cause a commotion because they did not want the bride and the groom to know what was going on!! IN ADDITION, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BRIDE AND GROOMS REACTION <u>THIS REVIEW IS BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE AS A GUEST</u>!!! <font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff0000">LASTLY, I NEVER MENTIONED THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT HAD TO BE ACCOMODATED!! SO YOUR ASSUMPTION OF "TONS" HAVING TO BE ACCOMODATED FOR IS EXTREME AND QUITE FRANKLY YOU SOUND LIKE YOU ARE SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF MANEELEYS. </font></strong><strong><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff0000"> ALSO, YOUR COMMENT REGARDING RANDOM GIFT TABLE ATTENDANTS IS VERY RUDE AND IGNORANT! AS STATED IN MY ORIGINAL POST, THIS IS A COMMON PRACTICE IN MY CULTURE! </font></strong><strong><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff0000">PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS FOR REAL "BRIDES/BRIDES TO BE" NOT VENDORS AND THEIR AFFILIATES!!! THANKS! </font></strong><strong><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff0000">***Just an FYI I attended a wedding at Aqua Turf club in June of 2011 where the bride and groom were faced with a similar situation of "more than expected guests." Aqua Turf Club handled the situation professionally!!! Within minutes two more tables were set up to accomodate the overflow of people (without a hitch!!)! </font></strong></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been on these boards for years. I have never ever even heard of that venue. I get you are pissed and, if you read my post, you would see I agree Sandy was unprofessional.

However,  if multiple tables and chairs had to be rolled out, that is in fact "tons" in my opinion. There is a reason most venues ask for counts and money in advance. I am sorry, but you are not going to make me believe the bride and groom were not responsible for providing more accurate counts on their wedding day to alleviate these types of issues. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:ae0386ec-b23f-4ce0-9e54-2eac3e8ef0c7">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been on these boards for years. I have never ever even heard of that venue. I get you are pissed and, if you read my post, you would see I agree Sandy was unprofessional. However,  if multiple tables and chairs had to be rolled out, that is in fact "tons" in my opinion. There is a reason most venues ask for counts and money in advance. I am sorry, but you are not going to make me believe the bride and groom were not responsible for providing more accurate counts on their wedding day to alleviate these types of issues. 

<div><strong>My intent is <u>not </u>to make you believe what I'm saying. This is my review regarding Maneeley's customer service. Furthermore, this has nothing to do with pointing fingers at who was right and who was wrong. This post is to warn the knotties who are planning their weddings about the unprofessionalism at Maneeleys. Since you had your wedding "years ago" and you "never" heard of Maneeley's, then playing the "blame game" should not be of importance to you. Thanks!</strong></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    These boards are to help brides from experiencing things like this. My point with these posts is to point out to other brides the importance of getting their counts correct. Just as you are trying to be helpful with pointing out the shortcomings of Maneeleys, I am trying to be helpful by pointing out how this could have been avoided with a more accurate count. I like weddings, I like talking about them.... it is a hobby of mine. I think fair is fair and all points should be kept in mind when taking reviews into account. 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to echo M&M a lot here. It doesn't sound like the venue was great at all but it also sounds like either the bride and groom made some very bad assumptions regarding their invited guests or they know a lot of rude people. I've never heard of that many people just showing up to the end that at least two tables are required. Thats's at least two large vehicles of people!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:ec58377a-92e8-4f7a-a8c0-9bd79357738f">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to echo M&M a lot here. It doesn't sound like the venue was great at all but it also sounds like either the bride and groom made some very bad assumptions regarding their invited guests or they know a lot of rude people. <strong>I've never heard of that many people just</strong> <strong>showing up to the end that at least two tables </strong>are required. Thats's at least two large vehicles of people!!
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

<div><strong><em>At <u>least </u>two tables???</em> I never stated that they needed at least two tables nor did I state the people showed up at the end. I stated two tables were requested; also this was during the beginning of the reception. Ceremony and reception were at two different locations. Thanks! </strong></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:5f957971-017e-49dc-917e-23d6262bb97c">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]These boards are to help brides from experiencing things like this. My point with these posts is to point out to other brides the importance of getting their counts correct. Just as you are trying to be helpful with pointing out the shortcomings of Maneeleys, I am trying to be helpful by pointing out how this could have been avoided with a more accurate count. I like weddings, I like talking about them.... it is a hobby of mine. I think fair is fair and all points should be kept in mind when taking reviews into account. 

<div><strong>YES, ITS VERY IMPORTANT FOR BRIDES TO GET THEIR COUNTS CORRECT. THERE ARE JUST SOME THINGS AND CERTAIN SITUATIONS YOU CAN'T HELP IN LIFE. IN THIS CASE, MORE PEOPLE SHOWED UP THAN RSVP'D. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BRIDE AND GROOM'S GUEST COUNTS BECAUSE THAT WAS HANDED IN ON TIME AND THE TWO HUNDRED GUESTS WERE PAYED FOR WEEKS PRIOR TO THE WEDDING DATE. THIS HAS TO DO WITH PROFESSIONALISM MOREOVER, CHOOSING A VENUE THAT KNOWS HOW TO HANDLE SITUATIONS SUCH AS THIS IF IT SHOULD ARISE. AS STATED ABOVE, A SIMILAR INCIDENT OCCURED AT A WEDDING THAT I ATTENDED AT THE AQUA TURF! SAME NUMBER OF TABLES WERE SET UP AND GUESTS WERE SEATED WITHOUT A HITCH! A WORD OF ADVISE TO KNOTTIES WHO ARE IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT VENUE, ASK THE VENUES WHAT THEY WOULD DO IF THEY WERE PLACED IN THIS OR OTHER UNEXPECTED SITUATIONS! WOULD THEY DISCUSS THIS IN FRONT OF YOUR GUESTS OR WOULD THEY DO IT IN PRIVATE? HAVE THEY BEEN IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS BEFORE? WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME/HOW DID THEY HANDLE IT?</strong></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow...I've heard of Maneely's, and it does sound like the whole situation was handled very poorly. Maybe someone could have mentioned to the coordinator that you guys would be sitting at the gift table, to make sure you were taken care of (since it's not something they're probably used to). It was rude of the people who didn't RSVP to just show up unannounced, but the venue should have handled it better, regardless. Even if the coordinator was stressed, there's no reason she had to take it out on all the guests... it's her job to handle things like that. Very unprofessional!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OP, your posts would be much easier on the eyes if you let up on the caps lock and bolded font.  It's hard to get through what you wrote.

Banana and M&M are right on track: it sounds as though the bride and groom are largely to blame for the miscount.
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    This again is why it is SO important to really look into possible vendors overall & why boards like this are key.

I, too have been on this board for a long time & have never heard of this venue. Without a doubt "Sandy" should of been more professional and handled herself better but if more people showed up 1) I would look towards the B&G being responsible & have having an accurate count  & 2) the venue should be able to roll with it and calmly handle the unexpected. Getting crazy in the middle of the dance floor is just uncalled for.

~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:ac3fcb0d-43b7-4f06-935a-98f1569e7133">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!! : At least two tables??? I never stated that they needed at least two tables nor did I state the people showed up at the end. I stated two tables were requested; also this was during the beginning of the reception. Ceremony and reception were at two different locations. Thanks! 
    Posted by darkoa1[/QUOTE]

Yes you did.  It's right here:

[QUOTE]Prior to my encounter with Sandy, unbeknownst to me, there was a problem with the seating arrangements. More people arrived to the reception site than the bride and groom expected!! (A BRIDE AND GROOMS WORST NIGHTMARE) The best man and some of the groomsmen tried to solve this situation without letting the bride and groom know by paying for the extra (2) tables and chair set up ..
    Posted by darkoa1[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean that people showed up AT the end.  I stated that so many extra guests were required such that (to the end) that two extra tables were required to fit them.  That's my point.   The venue sounds like it wins no prizes but something is VERY off if two tables need to be set up at the reception because the bride and groom didn't count those as attending.  Either they made some very incorrect assumptions or they had a lot of rude people attend.  Is there an option C? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Banana here. The coordinator doesn't sound like a peach, but did the bride and groom not follow up with people who had not RSVPed to make sure they indeed were not going to come? I am also side-eyeing the need for a gift table attendant. Other guests of the bride and groom are going to steal their gifts? Why do names and phone numbers need to be collected? Presumably the bride and groom would know who gave them what after opening their gifts/cards, and presumably they would know how to get in touch with these individuals to thank them properly if they knew where to mail their invitations in the first place. And if the venue wasn't informed that people would be sitting there, I am sure it threw them for a loop. I'm not saying this excuses the behavior of the coordinator, and I do think part of the wedding industry is staying calm and resolving issues when the unexpected happens, but it doesn't necessarily sound like the bride and groom took steps to prevent some of these issues from arising at the last minute.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I comletely neglected the gift table issue.  I'm also not understanding the need for the attendants either.  Our gift table was in our reception room.  The cards were on top of the gifts and we knew who gave what when we opened them the next day.  Maybe some of these are cultural norms that I'm not used to but it seems slightly overkill to do that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:72ec17ad-60ef-40db-9c87-ac4218f18f04">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with Banana here. The coordinator doesn't sound like a peach, but did the bride and groom not follow up with people who had not RSVPed to make sure they indeed were not going to come? <strong>I am also side-eyeing the need for a gift table attendant. Other guests of the bride and groom are going to steal their gifts? Why do names and phone numbers need to be collected?</strong> Presumably the bride and groom would know who gave them what after opening their gifts/cards, and presumably they would know how to get in touch with these individuals to thank them properly if they knew where to mail their invitations in the first place. And if the venue wasn't informed that people would be sitting there, I am sure it threw them for a loop. I'm not saying this excuses the behavior of the coordinator, and I do think part of the wedding industry is staying calm and resolving issues when the unexpected happens, but it doesn't necessarily sound like the bride and groom took steps to prevent some of these issues from arising at the last minute.
    Posted by skarupak[/QUOTE]

This gave me pause too. I feel uncomfortable at the thought of some one with a pen and paper taking names and numbers like a registry of those who brought gifts and who didn't. Presumably the bride and groom know people well enough to invite them to their wedding thus they should be more than capable of doing the extra leg work of finding out the addresses of guests without hounding them at the actual wedding. Plus, this scenario feels like there is an expectation of gifts which should never be expected by any bride or groom.

And yes, you clearly said two tables.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:de25e666-33c3-422e-bb04-5b447545df06">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!! : This gave me pause too. I feel uncomfortable at the thought of some one with a pen and paper taking names and numbers like a registry of those who brought gifts and who didn't. Presumably the bride and groom know people well enough to invite them to their wedding thus they should be more than capable of doing the extra leg work of finding out the addresses of guests without hounding them at the actual wedding. Plus, this scenario feels like there is an expectation of gifts which should never be expected by any bride or groom. And yes, you clearly said two tables.
    Am I wrong in assuming that if someone's attending a wedding, they received an invitation from the bride and groom (or their date did), therefore the bride and groom know their name and address?  I see this could kind of be like a gift list at a shower, but the bride and groom aren't opening the gifts, so it's not like gift contents are being written down.

I've been to a lot of weddings and I've never seen a gift table attendant, but obviously it's part of the culture in this situation.  It is by no means the norm though, so the staff and coordinator should have been clearly notified that the people sitting there were guests.  Otherwise, they probably assumed you were hired help or not actual attendants of the wedding.  Yes, vendors get meals, but not all weddings have tables set up for them and the vendors have to get a vendor meal... they don't necessarily get served.  I wouldn't be surprised if the confusion about that was partly due to the misunderstanding of who you were... a guest not a vendor.  Aside from this, the situation was definitely a complete disaster and handled wrong for sure.... kind of the perfect storm.  I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  I haven't heard of that venue, but I won't forget them now!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:061c9f58-32c1-4d81-9028-c6289d26a21c">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This again is why it is SO important to really look into possible vendors overall & why boards like this are key. I, too have been on this board for a long time & have never heard of this venue. Without a doubt "Sandy" should of been more professional and handled herself better but if more people showed up 1) I would look towards the B&G being responsible & have having an accurate count  & 2) the venue should be able to roll with it and calmly handle the unexpected. Getting crazy in the middle of the dance floor is just uncalled for.
    Posted by kls114[/QUOTE]

This, all this.  The bride & groom should have had a more accurate head count, but these things do sometimes happen.  I have a friend who married into a Mexican family - apparently his family finds it perfectly okay to bring random people without RSVPing or asking.  Sure, you can kick out the people who didn't RSVP, I suppose, but I think it's much more gracious to roll with it, and it isn't always the B&G's fault.  It wasn't like they were expecting the venue to do it free - the groomsmen did the right thing by offering to pay and help solve the problem.  The venue was completely unprofessional, it seems, and I think the poster is totally right to let people know what happened.

You all are being a bit vicious here - and I'm no "noob" who thinks it should all be rainbows and sunshine, I just think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions and making judgements when none needed to be made.  If someone is considering this venue and searches for it, this thread will come up.  That's it's purpose.  Also, my guess is the bride is Indian, as I know it's a tradition to have a gift attendant or two (though I'm sure there are other cultures where this is traditional, too).  You don't know everything about every culture, just your own.  She isn't asking for your opinion on that, and the wedding already happened - it's also not her wedding.  Really, folks, can't you tell the point is to warn people about a bad experience with a venue, and most specifically an unprofessional coordinator?  And it really sounds like it's justified.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:0785c214-c33d-4a5d-9ec4-93efda6e6f6d">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!! : This, all this.  The bride & groom should have had a more accurate head count, but these things do sometimes happen.  I have a friend who married into a Mexican family - apparently his family finds it perfectly okay to bring random people without RSVPing or asking.  Sure, you can kick out the people who didn't RSVP, I suppose, but I think it's much more gracious to roll with it, and it isn't always the B&G's fault.  It wasn't like they were expecting the venue to do it free - the groomsmen did the right thing by offering to pay and help solve the problem.  The venue was completely unprofessional, it seems, and I think the poster is totally right to let people know what happened. You all are being a bit vicious here - and I'm no "noob" who thinks it should all be rainbows and sunshine, I just think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions and making judgements when none needed to be made.  If someone is considering this venue and searches for it, this thread will come up.  That's it's purpose.  Also, my guess is the bride is Indian, as I know it's a tradition to have a gift attendant or two (though I'm sure there are other cultures where this is traditional, too).  You don't know everything about every culture, just your own.  She isn't asking for your opinion on that, and the wedding already happened - it's also not her wedding.  Really, folks, can't you tell the point is to warn people about a bad experience with a venue, and most specifically an unprofessional coordinator?  And it really sounds like it's justified.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I always agreed that the venue did things poorly.

I think the largest issue is that if you're going to deviate from cultural norms, you're going to need to inform those who may not be used to that.  That includes informing your venue that you're going to be doing things differently.  LIke it or not, there is a rather 'standard' feel to many weddings in this state so if you're not going to go with that standard, it's smart to tell those you're hiring to be your vendors that day.   Your venue can't be poised to be aware of every different cultural norm unless you notify them in advance.   

If the couple knew this was possible then I would hope the couple alerted the venue to the following:

1) The likelihood of guests showing up unexpectedly.  Ideally the couple could have at least estimated a higher amount if this is the cultural standard.  Otherwise, how is the venue to be able to prepare for the tables, chairs, plates, flatware, glasses and food required for all of those people?

2) The tradition of the gift table.  Again, the placement of guests there would have been something to alert the venue of.

The first item is IMO a much larger issue than the second.

And I think a lot of us are being critical of the OP because while the venue still sounds like they're lacking a ton, it appears that the bride and groom could have planned a bit better as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to take what you wrote with a grain of salt, but the fact that you feel the need to argue with everyone posting on your post, is a little disturbing. Usually when people post their experience here, it's really for the reader to decide what they want to do with the infomraiton youve provided....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:0785c214-c33d-4a5d-9ec4-93efda6e6f6d">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!! : This, all this.  The bride & groom should have had a more accurate head count, but these things do sometimes happen.  I have a friend who married into a Mexican family - apparently his family finds it perfectly okay to bring random people without RSVPing or asking.  Sure, you can kick out the people who didn't RSVP, I suppose, but I think it's much more gracious to roll with it, and it isn't always the B&G's fault.  It wasn't like they were expecting the venue to do it free - the groomsmen did the right thing by offering to pay and help solve the problem.  The venue was completely unprofessional, it seems, and I think the poster is totally right to let people know what happened. You all are being a bit vicious here - and I'm no "noob" who thinks it should all be rainbows and sunshine, I just think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions and making judgements when none needed to be made.  If someone is considering this venue and searches for it, this thread will come up.  That's it's purpose.  Also, my guess is the bride is Indian, as I know it's a tradition to have a gift attendant or two (though I'm sure there are other cultures where this is traditional, too).  You don't know everything about every culture, just your own.  She isn't asking for your opinion on that, and the wedding already happened - it's also not her wedding.  Really, folks, can't you tell the point is to warn people about a bad experience with a venue, and most specifically an unprofessional coordinator?  And it really sounds like it's justified.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><strong>Thanks couldn't have said it better!</strong>

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After reading this, I'm beyond thrilled that we didn't pick Maneeley's! I've seen the venue on here before and we looked at it (even took a 2nd look), but I didn't feel comfortable with Sandy (especially after she sent someone else to our 2nd meeting) and we decided to go elsewhere. Boy am I glad after reading this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of Manleely's they have been in business forever and I wish I knew just how many extra guests arrived because perhaps it was over the amount they can hold. Sounds like Sandy had had it with other issues with the event as well. I work with people of many different cultures and to be honest certian ones can be very pushy, needling you to get what they want or to get extras without paying for it. It is impossible to say no to these types and once you allow one deviation you are &&T%'d. Because they will go on & on. Sounds like she though you where sitting at the gift table because you didn't have a place at a table which would mean you where not paying for your meal.

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_knotties-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:42ac3b63-f4f5-45e0-afac-bd0a29a881ecPost:44036b51-70c8-487c-b44f-465341f33b10">Re: ***KNOTTIES BEWARE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard of Manleely's they have been in business forever and I wish I knew just how many extra guests arrived because perhaps it was over the amount they can hold. Sounds like Sandy had had it with other issues with the event as well. I work with people of many different cultures and to be honest certian ones can be very pushy, needling you to get what they want or to get extras without paying for it. It is impossible to say no to these types and once you allow one deviation you are &&T%'d. Because they will go on & on. Sounds like she though you where sitting at the gift table because you didn't have a place at a table which would mean you where not paying for your meal.
    Posted by runtome[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you know what?  It's not the guests' fault, and it's the vendor's responsibility to always be gracious.  If there's an egregious breech of what was agreed upon, then the vendor can go to the bride & groom AFTER the wedding to discuss.  In this case, it seems that the groomsmen were trying to make amends even during the event.

Regardless of the culture or how needy/taxing the wedding may be, I think much less of the venue for responding by verbally attacking guests. Honestly, it's part of being in a service role.  I've been a waitress, and there are good clients and bad clients, but regardless, it's the job of the service person to behave accordingly.  There's no excuse for behavior like the one in the review, though I do understand that situation would be very frustrating for the venue.

Anniversary

• Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *blink*

Bananas.
  • Options
    I didn't the chance to read this entire thread, but I will after this post. But I work at Maneeley's; I work WITH Sandy in the office. I am well aware of this particular wedding. Here is how we work things at Maneeleys; we strongly stress to our brides and grooms how important it is that we have their final head count the Wednesday before their wedding. That is usually only 3 days previous, seeing how most weddings are on Saturday's. This particular couple did not give us ANY idea other than to expect around 200 people for her wedding. We actually set tables for 220 just in case. 280 showed up. Even the day of the wedding, we did not receive a final head count. We were put in a very stressful position and I believe Sandy handled it to the best of her ability and she did a great job. We have never had complaints and we have also never dealt with as stressful as a situation as we did that night. We had guests coming in with their seating cards asking for tables 23-35, although we were told to expect 200pp. We set tables for 10pp. Again, we had 22 tables set for 220 people. 280 showed up...we were busting our asses, rolling out tables and dropping linens and place settings to accommodate the LARGE amount of extra guests. The extra 80pp that had not been paid for and that we had to take the financial loss for. Honestly, come and check out Maneeley's for yourself. Even just checkout our reviews on weddingwire.com or check us out on Facebook or maneeleys.com. Because we are a very professional banquet and catering company with a magnificent rapport and reviews. And to the woman that originally posted this, you were demanding that we set up tables for guests to eat in our bridal suite...in our main lobby. How is that professional? Everything would have been Maneeley's Standard, which is beyond impressive, had we been notified of the huge guest change.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards