Georgia-Savannah

Non-local Checking out Savannah for Future Wedding

Hello Savannah Brides! I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and am contemplating a Savannah wedding for 2013. My fiance and I will be visiting Savannah on vacation in August. Does anyone have any suggestions as to venues we could scout out while we are here for a destination wedding and reception. Probably no more than 50 people.

Also - we would like to stay in a vacation rental/cottage or condo. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places to stay or things to check out while we are here? Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Non-local Checking out Savannah for Future Wedding

• I would look at the homes down here. Check this link out:

http://www.visit-historic-savannah.com/savannah-wedding-venues.html

There are the gazebos and squares- but I will warn you that the traffic can really put a damper in your ceremony- the trolleys run constantly and are really loud. If you do it at one of the homes, it's usually in the back yard and you have some noice protection. And this of course depends on when you date is. I wouldn't do an outside wedding in Savannah June-August. It's really, really hot and muggy and will make anyone not used to this heat miserable- heck it makes me miserable and I've lived here all my life! lol

The website above has links for bed and breakfast's and hotels. You can also look at Tybee Island. There's alot of beach condos/cottages out there as well. They also have the Tybee Wedding Chapel that they're redoing. Here's their link:

http://tybeeweddingchapel.com/

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for the information - this is very helpful. The wedding chapel is very pretty!

I like the idea of having a more private event in a courtyard or backyard of a home. It just seems a bit overwhelming with so many options.

I visited Savannah for the first time in 2010 with a group of my closest friends. We were walking through Forsyth park at night and there was a wedding reception taking place on the new stage that was recently built. We all thought Savannah would be ideal for a wedding/reception. Any idea if they rent out this stage? I didn't know if this was a one time thing or if it was something that the city used for special events. Having a hard time finding information.

Thanks again for the links! This will give me a starting point and a few places to check out.
  • You can contact the City Parks Department for information to rent out the band shell at Forsyth Park.  I'm not sure of the cost, but they do rent it out.  

If you decide to have a wedding/reception in a rental home, check with the rental company to make sure this is ok.  Many of the rental companies on Tybee and in Savannah discourage it.  Just let them know of your intentions when you call to inquire.  

I agree with the pp who said June to August are not ideal for outdoor weddings, unless you choose the later evenings.  You will still have 80+ degree weather, but it is a bit nicer.  You also have to take into acount that we commonly have afternoon or evening rain showers during the summer months.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited July 2012
    Hi, I'm getting married in savannah October 6th- we are getting married in Fragrance garden inside Forsyth Park- cost 285 for 3 hours ( this is just the rental price) private with walls and a gate , beautiful garden- 50 or less would work- we only have 10- having our dinner reception at The Old Pink House- they can accommodate large parties- also 123elope , Emile is an amazing wedding planner- has helped with everything from flowers, photography- lone pine photography, hair makeup We live in Atlanta and this was a perfect small wedding destination Check out vacation by owner- vrbo savannah- lots of places to rent - the Mansion is nice also Avia is a great hotel and location Good luck!
  • <div>Hello- I FEEL LIKE THIS IS A SIGN, I'M FROM CINCINNATI, OH TOO.. PLANNING A WEDDING IN SAVANNAH, AND VISTIING NEXT WEEK!! DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS? WE'RE CONSIDERING BROCKINGTON HALL.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_non-local-checking-out-savannah-for-future-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:603Discussion:864204f8-1c02-43e0-a678-bd351ac00fe2Post:5e9b43af-d4f9-4d93-ab2f-eab9b41921f7">Non-local Checking out Savannah for Future Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Savannah Brides! I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and am contemplating a Savannah wedding for 2013. My fiance and I will be visiting Savannah on vacation in August. Does anyone have any suggestions as to venues we could scout out while we are here for a destination wedding and reception. Probably no more than 50 people. Also - we would like to stay in a vacation rental/cottage or condo. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places to stay or things to check out while we are here? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Posted by justengaged777[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards