Latino Weddings

Arras & Laso - when are they done in a Christian ceremony?

Hola muchachas!

My fiance and I are getting married by a Pastor that's caucasian and hasn't seen the arras/laso done before.  Do you all know how to organize our ceremony so that we know when it's time to do those?  We also have a unity cross.  Oh, and we're not Catholic, so the whole taking the flowers to the Virgen with the laso tied around us is kind of not an option.  

Cuanto estres, Dios mio!  Thanks for the help ladies!

Re: Arras & Laso - when are they done in a Christian ceremony?

• AmandaG225AmandaG225 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if this is actually true or not but my FI (Mexican/Catholic) & I (Caucasian/non-Catholic) were told that we couldn't do the arras or the laso b/c I'm not Catholic & we aren't getting married in a church.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My pastor is not Catholic and he's performed the lasso & arras in his ceremonies, not sure how to tell you when to do it but it is done in non-Catholic ceremony's...well a lasso not a rosary lasso.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Mmmm.. ditto. According to the Catholic church, you can't have a full mass (which is where the arras and lasos come in) if you're not Catholic. I'm not Catholic and have no plans of converting. So we're doing a bendicion de aros. Not gonna lie, I have no idea what that includes... feel free to enlighten me if you do know.... BUT I understand it's MUCH shorter than mass and you don't have to be Catholic to do one.
  • edited December 2011
    This is a Mexican trading that was incorporated into the Catholic Church. There is nothing that says you cant do these things if you are not being married in the Catholic church.

Talk to him about the traditions and what they mean.Look up some wording online as well. I would say to have them done before the vows.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lucy2113lucy2113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_arras-laso-done-christian-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:b1a19008-bea9-43a8-bb1c-a4ae1094e742Post:67890e54-757f-414e-8448-bd886545097e">Re: Arras & Laso - when are they done in a Christian ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<em><strong>This is a Mexican trading that was incorporated into the Catholic Church. There is nothing that says you cant do these things if you are not being married in the Catholic church. </strong></em>Talk to him about the traditions and what they mean.Look up some wording online as well. I would say to have them done before the vows.
    Posted by fluffymunky[/QUOTE]

<div>^This. There is no rule that says that you can not use them. I have seen them done right before the couple went up and lit their candle. </div><div>
    </div><div>Good Luck OP!
    </div>
    Holiday
  • edited December 2011
    Gracias muchachas!  I am Mexican so although I'm not Catholic I have seen the laso/arras done in non-Catholic weddings.  We're obviously getting a laso without the rosary.

I guess we're just trying to plan the order of the ceremony, but you're right, perhaps after a message about marriage and before vows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards