April 2013 Weddings

Ceremony and Readings

Have any of you planned out the ceremony yet? Are any of you doing readings? We met with our pastor last night for one of our pre-marital sessions and he advised to do some readings. So we're doing the age ol' 1 Corinthians, because hey- it works. And then a poem called The Best is Yet to Be, and the Apache Wedding Blessing. Which actually isn't Apache at all, it's from a movie. It was read at my parents and brother's wedding, so it's tradition now! Hopefully those 3 will add a bit of length to the ceremony, and I just like them, and FI just goes along lol! I'm just having our 3 members of the bridal party read them.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony and Readings

• I have mine planned out. It is a traditional Catholic wedding, so we have three readings. I think it really helps to get others involved in the wedding...and of course gives length to it. I think that anything that is meaningful to you works!

Okay this just made weird font and I can't change it.  Sorry!

• Lol I was like, wth is with the font? Yeah- I like involving the wedding party more than just standing there and doing pictures, so that works!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2013
    We just met with our officiants last night. It seems real to us now! So exciting!

We're going a mix of traditional and non-traditional ceremony aspects. It was important to me that the vows be traditional, so our parents (who are religious) recognize them, but the other parts we're going more non-traditional. We're including the prayer my father (who is no longer living) taught me: Hail Holy Queen (AKA: Salve Regina), and we're doing two readings: Corinthians (which I think is beautiful), and a poem by James Kavanaugh, "To Love Is Not To Possess".
  • Nope!  Our ceremony will be about 10-15 minutes.  We are doing a Unity Candle ceremony, but other than that, the pastor marries us and reads 2 passages in addition to the marriage vows and all that.  We are doing a Contemporary Christian ceremony.  So God will be there, but no old timey words or anything.  I want this part done and over with fast, because I will be crying and probably having an anxiety attack.  We have a MOH and a BM  though, no other BM or GM, so no need to get them involved.  MOH is 14; BM is 17 - so they are thanking us for not making them do anything but look good and take pics :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • We're just doing a basic marriage ceremony with two readings: an excerpt about marriage from The Irrational Season by Madeleine L'Engle, and an excerpt from a wedding sermon in Letters and Papers from Prison by Deitrich Bonhoeffer. FI says they're "serious business" readings; I like that about them.
  • I wish we had it planned! Since we're having a DW I'm not sure we'll even be meeting the pastor beforehand. It's been making me nervous. I'll probably bring a sand ceremony reading and things like that just in case he doesn't have much prepared.

Anniversary
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah, the ceremony is a nerve wracking part! Along with  our 3 readings, the pastor is doing a greating, sermonette, as he calls it- a mini sermon about us, and prayer. Then the vows/ rings and the unity candle. And that's it! Should be around 15 minutes or so probably. Long enough! Thankfully I just got the ok from my bridal party for them to read, so that's good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have two readings 
    1 Corinthians 13:1-13
    and
    Colossians 3:12-17

I am just going to have the pastor read them.  We asked a few friends if they were interested in reading them but they said no.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_ceremony-and-readings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:8237333d-2fc7-4304-98d4-01971a5fda7bPost:b1cd8bc0-88d7-4151-bb30-6c5ad7243013">Re: Ceremony and Readings</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have two readings  1 <strong>Corinthians 13:1-13</strong> and Colossians 3:12-17 I am just going to have the pastor read them.  We asked a few friends if they were interested in reading them but they said no.
    Posted by joheryl[/QUOTE]

We are doing this one too, and another one... I have no clue what it is.  I forgot already.... :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • Since we'll be outside, we're doing a God's Knot in lieu of a unity ceremony.  We asked our moms and pastor for input regarding any ceremony readings but I haven't looked through them yet and decided.
  • We're only having one "Why falling in love is like owning a dog" by Taylor Mali 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're getting married in the Catholic church so three readings - no real choice there. We're narrowing our readings now and making final choices on March 9th.

I will say, in favor of readings, for us at least, it helped us include some other people we wanted to. Our godmothers are doing the old and new testament readings and my good friend from Ireland is going to do the Prayer for the Faithful. I'm really happy they'll all play a special part in the day.
  • We are doing the Blessing of the Hands and maybe having one other short reading.  Not sure, nailing that down in a few weeks with our pastor.

• We have "a very lovely love story" an except from platos symposium and his sister is singing a Bruce Springsteen song called if I should fall behind
  • We had our last counseling session on Monday and Father gave us the book to choose everything from. We will probably look at it this weekend and then decide on everything. We are having a full Catholic Mass.
  • We are also having a full Catholic mass and got the little booklet with suggested readings.  We are  having our godparents do the readings.  Kinda predictable, but in a traditional way.  :)
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards