Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Thank you cards......an easy way.....

So as we started to look at easy ways to get thank you cards done, I tried the CARDS application for IPhone/IPad.  WOW what a great way to send thank you cards.  $3.00 to anyone in the US, $5.00 to anyone overseas.

You can customize your cards with your photos, write personal messages and not have to deal with stamps and handwriting.

I highly recommend it to anyone about to send thank you cards....everyone who got one of ours raved about how great they look.

Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So they get it via email or something?
    Fuuck your feelings
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that for my guests that took the time, effort, and money to come out to my wedding, AND brought my gift, deserve more than a fancy email. I mean, its taking me a while to get them out between school and 2 jobs, but a hand written note conveys a more personal feel. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I think handwritten is the way to go. It can be a pain, but I think most guests would appreciate that over an e-mail.

I'm sending my first chunk of thank you notes today. It's been slow going. I think I'm sending about 25 and it took me a month and a half! But my goal was to get all the TYs for gifts out by Thanksgiving. I also want to write TYs for everyone who came out and didn't bring a gift, but I figured they could wait another couple of weeks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think sending that and a real card would be a nice touch.  But I have to agree with PP, If everyone spent money and their time to come to my event, the least I could do is send a personal Card.  Maybe if you know it's going to take you a while to send the real cards, send an e-thank you in the mean time, but definitely still send an actual card.
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just looked it up - guests actually do receive a physical card in the mail, but it's printed / typed. I have to agree with everyone else though, I think it's worth it to take the time to hand write thank you notes.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011

This is not email.  It's real cards.  And they are beautiful.  In fact, I've had many people believe they were handwritten.

What's important isn't whether it was handwritten or not, its the content inside.  I personalized every single card for each thank you I wrote.  I have terrible handwriting and so does my fiance' so we're not going to pay someone to handwrite our thank you cards.

Trust me, this is a great way to go and your guests will love them.

• Options
    starree444starree444 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_thank-cardsan-easy-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:8eab1bcc-5ba9-47ee-9f1b-eb05973b10d8Post:7e599d8a-f9b8-4734-8c8b-26fd87d0c5d7">Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is not email.  It's real cards.  And they are beautiful.  In fact, I've had many people believe they were handwritten. <strong>What's important isn't whether it was handwritten or not, its the content inside. </strong> I personalized every single card for each thank you I wrote.  I have terrible handwriting and so does my fiance' so we're not going to pay someone to handwrite our thank you cards. Trust me, this is a great way to go and your guests will love them.
    Posted by mackie1604[/QUOTE]

Meh, I don't really agree.  Just a simple "thank you" in handwriting is way better than a long, drawn out typed response.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's called "CARDS" its an Apple IPhone/IPad application.  Apple runs it.  They create the card based on your design, and physically mail it to anyone in the world.

http://www.apple.com/apps/cards/

It's really nice, and you can do it right from your phone/ipad.

$3.00 each, and I don't have to deal with stamps or mailing them, or getting our pictures put onto a card.

I know some people are hardcore about handwriting a card, but lets face it, this is a digital world and I'm all about it.  We did our invitations online via email and facebook.  No reason to make something harder just to make it harder.

Here are 3 images I took off our iPhone to show how easy it is:

Choose the format...we choose a thank you card with a full photo front

Choose the message on the inside.  We customized each one for the guest. 

Add the address....you can import it from your contacts list.

I sent 20 thank you cards in about 30 minutes.....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_thank-cardsan-easy-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:8eab1bcc-5ba9-47ee-9f1b-eb05973b10d8Post:fcd2b308-11ac-45c7-b77b-b41f7cf795c1">Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know some people are hardcore about handwriting a card, but lets face it, this is a digital world and I'm all about it.  We did our invitations online via email and facebook.  No reason to make something harder just to make it harder.

Pretty much disagree with everything you say here, including email and facebook wedding invites.
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011

Yes, it's a digital world, which makes receiving something handwritten even more special.  Even though you are able to personalize the message in these cards, it still feels impersonal.  I would much rather receive a handwritten note in bad handwriting than a glitzy printed card any day. 

Married 5.6.11

• Options
    starryeyed77starryeyed77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Disagree.  Disagree...oh  and disagree.  Yes many things in this world are digital but they are also often impersonal and that may be ok in a lot of situations but I dont think weddings should be included.  This app sounds cool for other less formal events.
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I think the front of the card is very pretty, as a guest I would be very disappointed if I had taken the time to to attend a wedding and give a gift only to be sent a thank you card that the b&g did not even take the time to sign themselves. 

It may be a digital world, but there are still times where a little personal attention is not too much to ask for. I'm not sure if I would even acknowledge a wedding invitation sent to me via email or facebook. I don't mind it so much for a birthday party but a wedding, not so much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, you're all welcome to your opinion....but just like many things in life, everyone has different opinions.

My friends and family wouldn't care about a handwritten card, because they aren't shallow people that care about things like that.  It's the thought that counts, not how its done.  The same way I don't expect people to get us gifts.  The same reason we went to Las Vegas, which the same people who would be pissy about not receiving handwritten thank you cards would say that is tacky.....

@#$@ those people.  It's what we wanted.......following convention just feeds into the wedding machine that keeps vendors in business.  Do what you want, not what some tradition from 100 years ago says to do.
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_thank-cardsan-easy-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:8eab1bcc-5ba9-47ee-9f1b-eb05973b10d8Post:3e1ebd88-d609-4fea-bca3-234a3582c943">Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]following convention just feeds into the wedding machine that keeps vendors in business.  Do what you want, not what some tradition from 100 years ago says to do.
    Oh FFS - I'm not really sure how us sending out handwritten thank you notes (that came with my DIY invitations, by the way) "feeds into the wedding machine that keeps vendors in business."  I saved a shiit ton of money by doing it that way vs. spending $3 per card for the sake of convenience.  But you're right, everyone is going to have their own opinion on the matter, and that's mine.
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    wildstylewildstyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I think people get a little too upset over the whole thank you card issue (I have sometimes not gotten a thank you card after attending a wedding and buying a gift,and I honestly don't care or get upset - it's just not a big deal to me personally) - I do think this seems a little impersonal - to me.  I would prefer a hand written thank you or even be okay with nothing as opposed to this. To each their own of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_thank-cardsan-easy-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:8eab1bcc-5ba9-47ee-9f1b-eb05973b10d8Post:3e1ebd88-d609-4fea-bca3-234a3582c943">Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....</a>:
    [QUOTE] Do what you want, not what some tradition from 100 years ago says to do.

Why'd you get married then?  Health insurance and tax benefits?

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_thank-cardsan-easy-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:8eab1bcc-5ba9-47ee-9f1b-eb05973b10d8Post:3e1ebd88-d609-4fea-bca3-234a3582c943">Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, you're all welcome to your opinion....but just like many things in life, everyone has different opinions. My friends and family wouldn't care about a handwritten card, because they aren't shallow people that care about things like that.  It's the thought that counts, not how its done.  The same way I don't expect people to get us gifts.  The same reason we went to Las Vegas, which the same people who would be pissy about not receiving handwritten thank you cards would say that is tacky.....<strong> @#$@ those people</strong>.  It's what we wanted.......following convention just feeds into the wedding machine that keeps vendors in business. <strong> Do what you want, not what some tradition from 100 years ago says to do.</strong>

Slow down there, little hoss.  People are just saying that they think a nice hand written note will always be in fashion and be appreciated.  Appreciating a hand written thank you note is not shallow at all.  The PP's are simply stating that a machine printed card will not elicit the same reaction, in their opinion.  Yes, it's nice but it's just not as personal.

Also, as an FYI, it is not a "tradition" but rather good etiquette.  There is a difference.  Tradition is a big white gown with something blue.  Etiquette is the proper treatment of others. 

Don't get all worked up just because people don't like your easy way out.  It'll be okay.  Really.  It will.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Well, you're all welcome to your opinion....but just like many things in life, everyone has different opinions. My friends and family wouldn't care about a handwritten card, because they aren't shallow people that care about things like that.  It's the thought that counts, not how its done.  The same way I don't expect people to get us gifts.  The same reason we went to Las Vegas, which the same people who would be pissy about not receiving handwritten thank you cards would say that is tacky..... @#$@ those people.  It's what we wanted.......<strong>following convention just feeds into the wedding machine that keeps vendors in business</strong>.  Do what you want, not what some tradition from 100 years ago says to do.
    Posted by mackie1604[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hmm, sounds like you got sucked into the "wedding machine that keeps vendors in business" by paying $3-5 for digital wedding thank you cards.</div><div>
    </div><div>But then again that's just my "shallow" opinion.

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]The same reason we went to Las Vegas, which the same people who would be pissy about not receiving handwritten thank you cards would say that is tacky....

This comment is confusing to me.  You're saying people who find digital cards tacky also find Vegas weddings tacky?  Um, aren't we on the Vegas board?  Or did I wander onto the E board...?
  • Options
    mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally it was tons cheaper ordering cards and mailing them out ourselves that paying $3-5 each for a printed card.  My handwriting isn't stellar either, but I don't think anyone had any complaints.  My H doesn't even write English well enough for him to have added a message in the card, but my family thought it was nice he still signed what I wrote next to my signature.

I wrote at least half of my TY cards on the flight home.  On a plane you usually don't have much to do anyways, so might as well put the time to use.  We sent off the last of the thank you cards for people who gave us gifts after the wedding a week ago.

I get how it might be effort and time consuming, but I think it's a little wrong to feel justified that it's annoying when you consider the effort your guests probably made to come out and/or get you a gift and card.
  • Options
    starryeyed77starryeyed77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sigh...........
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really don't care what people think. It's about what works for you, not some old concept as to what is proper.. I think this is a great option for people. If you don't like it, feel free to not use it and write cards by hand. Way to ruin a positive thread though with what you believe is proper etiquette. I could give a damn whether or not it's proper etiquette......and honestly your opinion is just that....an opinion......like assholes, everyone has one. Good luck, I'm out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_thank-cardsan-easy-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:8eab1bcc-5ba9-47ee-9f1b-eb05973b10d8Post:d53bce52-570e-42c6-87e3-53dac3bad681">Re: Thank you cards......an easy way.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really don't care what people think. It's about what works for you, not some old concept as to what is proper.. I think this is a great option for people. If you don't like it, feel free to not use it and write cards by hand. Way to ruin a positive thread though with what you believe is proper etiquette. I could give a damn whether or not it's proper etiquette......and honestly your opinion is just that....an opinion......like assholes, everyone has one. Good luck, I'm out.

Thanks for keeping it positive.... "@#$@ those people"

Married in Vegas - June 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards