Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

To drink or not to drink how should we ask ask?

WE are haveing a buffet dinner and an open bar but we need a rough estimite on who will be partying a lil harder then some of our more conservitave guest in order to 1. not over spend and 2. so that we are able to know about how much liquor is needed. How do  we ask this on a RSVP card without it sounding werid or offending the buzz kill side of the family (haha just kidding...But seriosly)? 

Re: To drink or not to drink how should we ask ask?

• Options
    There's no way to ask this. It's offensive and tacky. There are lots of online calculators and your venue can also help determine how much you need to order. If you're worried about running out, over order by 10%. Worst case scenario, you return from your honeymoon to a fully stocked bar.
  • Options
    I wouldn't. Your venue should be able to help you estimate how much booze you need based on your guest count. Or I'm sure you can google it. Don't count anyone underage, and then adjust slightly if you think your guests drink much heavier or lighter than average. Time of the reception also makes a difference. They will drink more at an evening reception than one during the day. You definitely don't want to run out of alcohol all together, but I bet if you run out of Bud by Uncle Joe's 6th beer he'll switch to Bud Light. So I would just figure an estimate and go with it. I'm pretty sure my venue said 1 drink/ hour/ guest. I would also limit the options of liquor, so you're more likely to finish the bottles opened, and have less to buy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_to-drink-or-not-to-drink-how-should-we-ask-ask?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f5c71fd3-1616-409c-a857-703895c36996Post:3cdcaa28-2f69-4a0e-b119-87553d44f253">To drink or not to drink how should we ask ask?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WE are haveing a buffet dinner and an open bar but we need a rough estimite on who will be partying a lil harder then some of our more conservitave guest in order to 1. not over spend and 2. so that we are able to know about how much liquor is needed. How do  we ask this on a RSVP card without it sounding werid or offending the buzz kill side of the family (haha just kidding...But seriosly)? 
    Posted by csrsanchez90[/QUOTE]

Agree with PPs.  there is no non-offensive way to ask this.  Use one of the beverage calculators that are all over the internet. (<a href="http://www.bevmo.com/" rel="nofollow">www.bevmo.com</a>) has a good one.  If you are able to bring your own liquor, you can overbuy.  You can return most unopened bottles of liquor or unopened cases of wine.  

Some people will drink more than you estimate and some people will drink less.  It will average out.
  • Options
    Not only is it tacky to ask that, but I have no idea how much I'll feel like drinking a month+ in advance. A lot of it depends how I'm feeling that day, what the mood is, etc.

What you can do to save on costs is just offer free beer and wine and that's it. That's within etiquette and usually saves money over a totally open bar. Whatever you do, don't ask people how much they think they'll drink.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Don't ask.

Use a beverage calculator, and just get that much, maybe extra.

If you're really worried about costs, just do beer, wine, and a signature drink or two.
  • Options
    Don't stress about running out. Being a good host means providing a nice selection. It doesn't mean making sure you have enough for people to get wasted.
  • Options
    I would do just beer and wine. You can overbuy wine and return it (that's what we did). We also overbought beer, but made sure someone in our immediate family liked the kinds we had so they could take the excess at the end of the night. My dad drank like a king for weeks after our wedding. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_to-drink-or-not-to-drink-how-should-we-ask-ask?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f5c71fd3-1616-409c-a857-703895c36996Post:3cdcaa28-2f69-4a0e-b119-87553d44f253">To drink or not to drink how should we ask ask?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WE are haveing a buffet dinner and an open bar but we need a rough estimite on who will be partying a lil harder then some of our more conservitave guest in order to 1. not over spend and 2. so that we are able to know about how much liquor is needed. <strong>How do  we ask this on a RSVP card without it sounding werid or offending the buzz kill side of the family (haha just kidding...But seriosly)? </strong>

You don't. End of story.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As PPs have said, please do not ask this.

Use an online calculator, ask your venue, and just think about your guestlist.

For example, we were worried about the price of a full open bar vs. just providing beer and wine. When we thought about it though, none of our families will drink the hard alcohol - just beer and wine. Some of the younger crowd will, but there is much more family invited than friends, so we decided to do full open bar.
  • Options
    I don't think it's tacky at all... unless you ask on the invitations. Direct people to your wedding website and have a dinner/drinks tab. There you can ask.

Or, if you do your wedding website on the knot, when guest rsvp they can put if they plan on drinking or not. It may be a little awkward, but people should understand that weddings are expensive and any assistance they can give you is much appreciated.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_to-drink-or-not-to-drink-how-should-we-ask-ask?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f5c71fd3-1616-409c-a857-703895c36996Post:3cdcaa28-2f69-4a0e-b119-87553d44f253">To drink or not to drink how should we ask ask?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WE are haveing a buffet dinner and an open bar but we need a rough estimite on who will be partying a lil harder then some of our more conservitave guest in order to 1. not over spend and 2. so that we are able to know about how much liquor is needed. How do  we ask this on a RSVP card without it sounding werid or offending the buzz kill side of the family (haha just kidding...But seriosly)? 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards