May 2012 Weddings
Options

How to involve an adult step child in our wedding?

I need advice on how to involve my future stepson who is 20 in our wedding, in the event that he does come to the wedding.

Re: How to involve an adult step child in our wedding?

• Options
    Lyra1020Lyra1020 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Perhaps he could do a reading during the ceremony?
  • Options
    I have a feeling that he will be much more likely to attend if you specifically tell him that you really want him to do x part in it!
    Suggestions might be a reading like PP said, add him on as a GM depending on how your WP is set up currently, ask him to give a speech/toast during the reception?
  • Options
    S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_how-to-involve-an-adult-step-child-in-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:ee93220e-5ba3-4640-a072-01cb9d3f56d1Post:4d497714-0962-45e5-88bf-b1f52dfa2cb7">Re: How to involve an adult step child in our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a feeling that <strong>he will be much more likely to attend if you specifically tell him that you really want him to do</strong> x part in it! Suggestions might be a reading like PP said, add him on as a GM depending on how your WP is set up currently, ask him to give a speech/toast during the reception?
    Posted by caitlinc09[/QUOTE]

I agree with this...and as PPs said, a reading or toast would be a nice way to include him. I'm older (but close to) your stepson's age...so take my advice when I say don't ask him to babysit the guestbook, give him something with some real meaning to do.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would ask him if he would like to do something....honestly, we can think up all the roles we would like...but 20 year old guys, who may not be thrilled about the concept, might not want a part in making it happen, on the other hand they might feel honored to be included, but would rather usher then do something where he has to talk in front of everyone.....or some other thing. Our weddings are not as important to our family members as we like to think, and some people would rather just be a guest. Seeing as you mentioned "if he comes" I would be inclinde to just keep him as a guest or ask him what HE would like to do.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    That is a good idea! Thank you!
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing about the guest book...that was my fiance suggestion! I like the idea about the reading or a toast. Thank you
  • Options
    I would ask him what he would like to do. Are you doing a sand ceremony that he could be apart of?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Initially I thought a reading would be really nice, but yes maybe ask if he wants to be involved first and how? depends on the personality and comfort level
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards