Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photographer - getting started

I'm a (newer) photographer in Billings, MT.  I say newer because I've been working with photography for over 10 years and just started getting in the portraiture business.  My question is, do you have any advice in getting started?  I have done some research here and the number of photographers in Billings is equivalent to the Bay Area which has 20x the population.  Amongst the photographers nearby I can keep up with quality.  I'm just having a very tough time getting my foot in the door.  I would LOVE to travel all over for photos.

Since I am just starting out, I have been charging $500 to do both the engagement AND wedding to build my portfolio.  I am listed with wedding vendors, advertising on FB etc and still having trouble.  The word of mouth thing doesn't go very far.  HELP!

http://brittanyputnamphotography.com

Re: Photographer - getting started

• Vendor advertising is prohibited, and being desperate on TheKnot is not the way to start your business. This post is googleable and will pop up when people look you up.

Do you have liability insurance to be shooting weddings? Do you have professional equipment and backup equipment? Are you remitting sales tax and have a license to do business in your state? You need to get this stuff in order before you take clients, especially wedding clients.

Also, your editing is all over the place so it's impossible for me, as someone checking out your site, to have any idea what my images would look like. That's a big problem if you're trying to attract clients. Nail down an editing style and stick with it.
  • Vendors are not allowed to advertise here, and it is really frowned upon when they do. You are doing your new "business" more harm than good. You have been reported. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards