Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Alternative to Guest Book

Awhile back I saw a post about this...but have since forgotten all of the awesome ideas.  What alternative "guest book" things have you done?  I would still like everyone to sign in, per say, but not neccesarily with the traditional guest book.

Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Alternative to Guest Book

• Options
    I have heard of people doing a large photo/mat of some kind that people can sign, a shirt, a platter (not entirely sure how that works), or having small cards that they write on that you can later put together into a collage/scrapbook.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    Instead of a traditional guest book, my fiance and I are getting a very large clear glass vase, and a bunch of black, flat, polished stones. Guests will then sign the stones with silver markers and put them into the vase! I know that a photo frame with a picture of the bride and groom is a great alternative too!
  • Options
    sign bottles of wine and open them on your anniversary, etch into almost anything you want, wish list (each guests write down wishes for you and places them somewhere: box, on a tree, in a wishing well, etc.), write on anything (benches, pillows, etc.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • Options
    Small cards w/ notes of advice

self-portrait polaroids by guest w/ note written at the bottom

photobooth w/ chalkboard so they can write a note and be in the picture
  • Options
    We are doing the framed photo thing. 2 big matte framed photos in cherry wood to match the woods in our home.

I was thinking of doing one of those guest books that have slots on each page so people can take poloroid pics and slide them into the slots and sign each page... but havent decided yet.
    We have a fairly small wedding so we'll see.
    Happy Planning Ladies!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing the photobooth and will also have a large picture frame with our engagement picture in it and will have people sign the glass of the frame. We will also do the traditional guestbook so we will have the addresses of our guests for thank you purposes.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    We are doing the photobooth at our reception.  Each guest will get a copy of theirs to take home and we will get a copy that we will allow the guest to put in a scrapbook and decorate, etc.

We jsut wanted something for the actual ceremony....

btw- LOVE the guitar idea!! i wish we had a cool hobby like that!! we like to camp, but i don't think hanging a tent in our house would work out :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    LOL at hanging a tent.  Maybe you can erect a life-sized teepee in the back yard for your guests to sign instead?  Wink
  • Options
    We are using an idea found on Martha Stewart's website.  We cut scrapbook paper into 4inX4in squares, and wrote phrases such as "Love is..." and "We wish you..." on the squares, with a spot for their name and address.  The guests will finish the phrase with their own words.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think we are going to have a picture to sign.  Instead of a photograph or our invitation, we are going to have it prominently display our wedding date.  Here's the inspiration for the guest book. http://www.framethedate.com/how-to-order.html  My MOH and I are going to make it together.  Luckily for me, she is an aspiring photographer!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    We're doing the little notes of advice type of deal but with a typewriter signing.  It fits into our vintage theme.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Make a quilt!! Have guests sign patches of material with a permanent fabric marker. Have all of the patches made into a quilt and then hang it or use it!!
  • Options
    @ Sunshine...I think you just gave me another idea!!! I am an serious scrapper and your idea is great!!!! The trick will be to make SURE that we get to each table to take pics with the guests. I think we are going to have about 14 tables. Wish me luck!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    We did a photobook of photos from when we first started dating until the wedding. PIB.
  • Options
    I made a guest book at mixbook.com.  It has pages for people to write you something instead of the traditional book full of lined pages.  Plus you can upload your own pictures, we used our engagement pictures.

http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/wedding/wedding-guest-book-4504771
  • Options
    I've thought about getting a photo album made online through like Walmart with photos of us in it and then the guests can just sign over the pictures.
  • Options
    KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    For my bridal shower, I'm making a photo guest book. For the wedding, I'm leaning towards the scrapbook paper.
  • Options
    Our theme is puzzles, since we fit together perfectly, so we're buying a large blank puzzle that has 4 inch square pieces and having our guests sign those with colorful sharpies.  Then, after the wedding, we are going to put the puzzle together and frame it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We did a video guest book for my wedding. Each of the guests come up to a Mac with a webcam and with the click of one button, they record a personal video message to the happy couple. At the end of the night, I had over 75 personal, funny, endearing movie clips that my videographer worked into our official wedding film. I'll forever treasure those clips.

You can download a demo at: www.thrilledforyou.com

disclaimer: my two business partners made this software for my wedding as a gift. We just decided to make it available to everyone.

Happy Wedding!
    Jenny
  • Options
    we actually have two things.
    at the wedding we are having a scrapbook where people can write something. we also have a friend who will take each person's picture after they write, then we will add the photo to the page later.
    then at the reception, we will have a painting (an abstract one done in our wedding colors) that i painted and guests will be able to go up and sign the painting with the markers we'll provide.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    we are combing our guest books with our table numbers....

We have little Gold Notepads, on the front cover is an Initital Either C ( my name) J ( DF) or L ( Our last name )  and we are going to add  the table number ( or picture if we theme the tables)  on the back. that way people can write in the note pads  and then we can scrapbook them with wedding photos after.

I love all the ideas that give people more time to think and write something. I always feel lame just writing " C and J, Love you!!!"
  • Options
    Hi,

We have a guest platter for guests to sign instead of a book. I want to come up with a clever sign/wording indicating that guests should sign the platter, after the wedding we have to bake our platter for 30 minutes to bake all of the signatures in....then we'll be able to use our platter for years to come and remember all of our guests. I'm fried....can anyone think of any clever sayings that would incorporate all of this? Thanks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-guest-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:0505ce03-73ea-4322-b337-b9816b1c7ea5Post:0d41f1ac-9c77-4d5a-b48a-99e5c4a7d11d">Re: Alternative to Guest Book</a>:
    [QUOTE]Instead of a traditional guest book, my fiance and I are getting a very large clear glass vase, and a bunch of black, flat, polished stones. Guests will then sign the stones with silver markers and put them into the vase! I know that a photo frame with a picture of the bride and groom is a great alternative too!
    Posted by daniellemarie13[/QUOTE]

i LOVE this idea!! :) I have also seen brides lay out children's books and have their guests sign...there are a few by Todd Parr that i like for their graphic color and you could have your guests sign with a silver sharpie! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're collecting postcards from places that are meaningful to us in lieu of a guestbook. We'll stamp and address them to ourselves before the wedding. Guests can choose one that strikes their fancy to write us a note, and leave it in a basket. My FMIL will mail a few to us each week after the wedding, so we can keep having reminders of our wedding day throughout the next year.

I read about some version of this somewhere, and thought it was such a neat idea! We're planning to frame a few of our favorite postcard messages, or make a scrapbook of them all at the end of the year
  • Options
    Mad Libs! You can make an individual personalized version of a Mad Lib and then have your guests fill in the nouns, adjectives etc. and sign and put them all together in a book and have a good laugh at them later...
  • Options
    Since my sister discovered her "inner Martha" after her own wedding, I've asked her to do a scrapbook with cardstock squares that guests have signed or written greetings on - that will be paired with photos from my sister-in-law...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    On Etsy, there are really neat guest book trees. It's basically a poster with a bare tree with branches with a bunch of leaf and/or flower stickers on the side. Each guest writes a little message on a sticker leaf and then sticks it somewhere on the tree. You can frame the guest book tree to display at home.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/45045549/large-10x14-size-unique-tree-guest-book?ref=cat2_list_4

We were planning on getting the Etsy guest book tree, but ended up going with a different option. We're getting married at a museum and will be using a book about the history and architecture of the museum as our guestbook. It doubles up as a great book to own and a special keepsake! Maybe you can find a suitable book about something you both enjoy?

• Options
    I am torn between two different ideas because we didn't want the traditional  guest book, here are the two things we are considering :

http://www.guestbookstore.com/wedding.html

We thought this was a cute idea, because of the guests being able to draw the picture of themselves.

And our other idea is the wish frame, allowing guests to write a special something, and also sometihng cute to display in your house!

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=17947
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I'm going to have ceramic tiles in the colors of our wedding for people to sign their names or write a note with sharpies. Then I will take those and create a garden table. I think it will be a great conversation piece for years to come.
  • Options
    Get a canvas big enough for everyone invited and have someone draw the outline of a tree on it (just the trunk and a few random branches.)  Have your guests use their thumb prints to fill in the "leaves" of your tree.   They can initial or sign thier name by their thumb print.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards