Military Brides

Emotional Day

So today was the day my principal told the staff and students I am leaving in January.

What an overwhelming day. Telling two HUGE groups that I'll be gone in the same day was insane!

Wanna know what pissed me off? An adult (with a husband and family) said to me, "if he is just going to deploy you shouldn't move with him". Excuse me?

One student, who I absolutely adore, broke down from 2:30 when they were told until 3:15 when they leave. I've known her for years through Girls on the Run and teaching her sister. She is a sweet, sweet girl but has ZERO self confidence. It breaks my heart that I broke her heart.

Sigh...
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Emotional Day

• edited December 2011
    aww, hikey *hugs*

sorry it was such an emotional day for you. 

and about the parent saying that... wtf? Idk how I would have reacted to that one, but I'm pissed for you, too.
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw, Hike!  I really want to give you a hug!!!  Try to be happy that people clearly will miss you, and that you clearly made a difference in that girl's life.

Hang in there.  I'm sure that adult has absolutely no idea what was coming out of her mouth.  Sometimes people speak before they think, and sometimes the lack of understanding or compassion about the military lifestyle is rather appalling. 

Anniversary

• LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, it wasn't a parent. It was a staff member.

You know what I noticed? Most people made it about them and not me. I got pity looks all day. I got "Get divorced." I got "Now we need to hire someone".

Only a few people let it stay about me and supported me.

My kiddos were sad though and that makes me sad.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    oh man those kids :( That just shows you what a great teacher you are, though... That's a good thing that people were upset by the news... and they won't remember that you left them, but that they lucky enough to have had you as a teacher in the first place. <3
  • edited December 2011
    People are so self-centered and inconsiderate. Nobody ever stops to think "hm, this might actually be a harder thing for her to transition to life somewhere else than it will be for us to get used to a new person in her job". 

ugh. 

That is sad about the kiddos :(
    wedding1 Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I also had teachers, who I never see or talk to, come out of the wood work and demand to know why I didn't tell them when we found out.

Like they are so important that I need to tell before my principal wanted it out in the open.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some people are massively selfish.  Okay, most people.  But seriously, someone said, "Get divorced"?!  I would have said, "I am so glad to see that's how little you think of marriage.  I'm sure yours will be a major success."  And rolled my eyes and walked away.  Talk about a vicious thing to say!

Hugs to your kiddos - again, that's a testiment to what an impact you've made to your students.  You are clearly a great teacher!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Awww.. Hikey.. This makes me sad, and it makes me want to bake you cookies and mail them to you! I'm sorry that people were such Aholes, but ditto everyone else, you're obviously an AWESOMAZING teacher (I just made up a word for you!) Lots of Hugs!!
    Photobucket
  • shayNnikshayNnik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *HUGS* for you Hike! SO sorry your day was that tough. The sad part you can somewhat prepare yourself for. The downright stupidity of others, not really something you think about when you wake up everyday. Like Calindi said, most people are selfish and don't understand the lifestyle.

From the flipside, being AD I've seen wives file for divorce because their H got orders and they didn't want to move away from friends/family/job. Heck, we even got a new guy here earlier this year whose wife liked her job so she stayed in DC while he came to FL. While it seems absurd to hear(and was outright rude of her to say) it does happen. So you are hereby commended for your selfless act! Forget about those rude people. Just as I told my DS last night, their mother obviously just didn't teach them any better :-)
    imageimage
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MUST HAVES: Clothes, Groom
    WISHES: Wedding planner(check!), Honeymoon, Blue Petyl Bouquet
  • edited December 2011
    Oh Hike, I'm sorry :( That must have been so hard! Are you going to keep in touch with the girl who was so sad that you are leaving?
    On another note, I can bet that all of those people with the negative comments will all end up divorced at some point, obviously they don't know what it means to be in a marriage! The nerve.
    edited December 2011
    Thank you guys for once again being great. I appreciate it more than you know. And Sami- anytime you are in the mood to bake, I'm in the mood to eat a cookie. :-)

I'll definitely stay in touch with my kids. I know I've been saying that I've been "over" teaching lately but one thing I'll never get over is the kiddos in my class. They are pretty freaking amazing. Especially the girl who was so upset. She is athletic, smart, hilarious but she thinks she is stupid. She has to ask me if EVERYTHING she is doing is right. It makes me so sad because that is how I was when I was little and then it turned into an eating disorder. I just wish she would love herself!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_emotional-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:82dc3ade-3f11-4cb4-80c8-22b6016fca95Post:85243245-a8df-48aa-ad8f-9493d94ca009">Re: Emotional Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you guys for once again being great. I appreciate it more than you know. And Sami- anytime you are in the mood to bake, I'm in the mood to eat a cookie. :-) I'll definitely stay in touch with my kids. I know I've been saying that I've been "over" teaching lately but one thing I'll never get over is the kiddos in my class. They are pretty freaking amazing. Especially the girl who was so upset. She is athletic, smart, hilarious but she thinks she is stupid. She has to ask me if EVERYTHING she is doing is right. It makes me so sad because that is how I was when I was little and then it turned into an eating disorder. I just wish she would love herself!
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    I'm glad you are, Hike. I miss my pre-schoolers even 8 years later... I think about them all the time, what they look like, what they're doing now... it makes me sad, but pre-schoolers do not have emails :(

Those kids are very lucky to have had you for a teacher!
  • edited December 2011
    Hike I'm so sorry to hear this.  Like FTL said though it just shows how much everyone appreciates you being there and how much those kids love you!  I'd be so frustrated with people turning the situation around like that.  Sounds like there have been so many emotions today.  I hope people will realize how stupid and selfish they are being before you leave. Hugs :)
    Photobucket
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Hike I'm sorry! That was incredibly rude and ignorant of those staff members. And I'm sorry about your student. When my internship was over at an alternative high school, I wanted to take every student with me to have a loving home with good role models. Especially my pregnant student. You can only hope for the best for her, and hope she finds a new amazing role model!
  • edited December 2011
    Hike I'm so sorry!! I wish I were there to slap that lady upside her head, I can't believe she seriously said that. *insert foot into her mouth*

It just shoes how much of a great teacher and role model you are to those kids! I know its emotional leaving, especially when you get attached to people - kids are hard. Hang in there and just enjoy the time you have left with them before the big move.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    **HUGS** coming your way. Unfortunately, what that teacher said doesn't surprise me. My family expects the day H deploys I'll move home. People do it for various reasons but I'm trying really hard to make this home. :) I had to leave my job too, it was really hard and I still haven't found work here... but so far I wouldn't have done it any differently.
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry about the hard day.

Would the school allow you to write your students a letter?
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    HUGS to you.  That annoys me for you that people made those statements.  It is about you and H not about them and none of their business.  I hate people like that.  Those are the same type of people that say stupid stuff when H is deployed.  

I work with a great group of students and I know it will be very hard to leave them when H finally gets back and I move with him.  So, I might be getting some advise from you on that point when the time comes.   

Remember you have tons of cheerleaders here to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards