North Carolina

Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings

nothing like a 3 million dollar gig for a wedding while the rest of the country continues to struggle in poverty and foreclosures. 

people can say what they want about the bush's but they were classy classy people and when you compare the two presidential daughther weddings, the proof is clear.  nothing like actuals to tell a story. 

and who wants a vegan cake...no eggs no milk, butter or cream and to go gluten free.   all the basis for one nasty tasting cake.

Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings

• Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I heard they spent $11,000.00 on that cake too! 
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. . . I'm completely agreeing here. The Bush's had a great idea for their wedding.

11,000 for a cake that isnt real cake?!?!?!

With that said though, to them their own. Happy wedding day to the Clintons :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I really could care less about Chelsea Clinton's wedding... it does annoy me that all past presidents continue to be paid their salary for the rest of their lives though, because in all reality, we are paying for this wedding. Must be nice.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:fdfc78d9-357e-4c24-a060-852b9ff29075">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really could care less about Chelsea Clinton's wedding...<strong> it does annoy me that all past presidents continue to be paid their salary for the rest of their lives though</strong>, because in all reality, we are paying for this wedding. Must be nice.
    Posted by FutureMrsFraser[/QUOTE]

What are they going to do for income after being President?  Teach?  It's not like being an "elder statesman" comes with a lot of pay.  The US Presidency is the last job anyone can expect to have.

Also, Presidential pensions are based on the current salaries of Cabinet members, substantially less than the salary of the current President.  The last approved Presidential salary was $400k plus about $170k in other compensation.  Cabinet member salaries are around $200.  So we're not really continuing to pay them their Presidential salary for the rest of their lives.

Andplusalso, that $400k/year breaks down to about $46 an hour.  That's less than the hourly rate for many lawyers, doctors, accountants, many many US Citizens make a higher rate than that.  They're just not "on the clock" 24 hours a day. 

I haven't followed anything about the Clinton girl's wedding.  I didn't follow anything about the Bush girl's wedding either.  I would expect either to be huge events. 
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a feeling Clinton makes millions from speaking fees.  This article is from '06 so not sure how much has changed, but he made $7.5 million in 2005 solely from speaking fees.  I think that is probably what accounts for the $11,000.00 cake! 

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/14/bill.clinton.speeches/
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's really humorous that you act you know The Bushes.  So it's ok for the Bushes to spend a lot on a wedding but not the Clintons?  Whatever!!

Obviously we know who you vote for come election time.
  • edited December 2011
    I just think it's funny the john edwards clinton types are throwing a three million dollar wedding. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:4e0464bd-9e31-4b2f-859a-6689600f7313">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's really humorous that you act you know The Bushes.  So it's ok
    for the Bushes to spend a lot on a wedding but not the Clintons?  Whatever!! Obviously we know who you vote for come election time.
    Posted by Liz and Ryan 2010[/QUOTE]

Why does it matter who someone votes for? Opinions are allowed here and Andreas' opinion is that the Bush wedding was more 'low key'.  No need to bring in the political crap.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:4e0464bd-9e31-4b2f-859a-6689600f7313">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think it's really humorous that you act you know The Bushes</strong>.  So it's ok for the Bushes to spend a lot on a wedding but not the Clintons?  Whatever!! Obviously we know who you vote for come election time.
    Posted by Liz and Ryan 2010[/QUOTE]

How do you know she doesn't?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:af9ca56b-e1f9-4547-b7e7-a2c94201d9f5">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Andplusalso, that $400k/year breaks down to about $46 an hour.  That's less than the hourly rate for many lawyers, doctors, accountants, many many US Citizens make a higher rate than that.  They're just not "on the clock" 24 hours a day. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

$400k/year is MUCH more than $46/hour unless your are taking in to account every breathing minute of every day. Most lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc don't get paid to sleep, eat, etc. Based on a typical 40 hour work week, that would be more like $192/hour.
  • edited December 2011
    HA!  I love to stir the pot.  Anywhoo I don't 3 million is that crazy for them.  I think it's crazy for someone to put their whole wedding on credit cards so they can have a dream wedding.
  • SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Politics is one thing I stay out of...

I can say that it is a shame when celebrities, professional athletes and upper echelon status people parade their wedding amounts.  If they can throw a 3mil wedding...I can only imagine what other money they could use to improve the lives of others
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:cb7adaa1-b1f3-460d-ac28-eef832fd9120">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings : $400k/year is MUCH more than $46/hour unless your are taking in to account every breathing minute of every day. Most lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc don't get paid to sleep, eat, etc. Based on a typical 40 hour work week, that would be more like $192/hour.
    Posted by keserzan[/QUOTE]

I'm counting every minute that the President is on call. 
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm gonna have to agree with Beka here. Why does it matter who we vote for? There's no real need to talk politics here...you just have to agree to disagree. 
  • durhambridedurhambride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Are you serious?

What is wrong with the Clintons giving their daughter a nice wedding? And what difference does it make in regards to how much they paid for it? If they have the money why not do it? I know if my parents had the Clinton's money they would surely spend it on me.

Andrea, get over it!1

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:c75bc45d-e566-479c-b3cc-30532ef761fb">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you serious? What is wrong with the Clintons giving their daughter a nice wedding? And what difference does it make in regards to how much they paid for it? If they have the money why not do it? I know if my parents had the Clinton's money they would surely spend it on me. Andrea, get over it!1
    Posted by durhambride[/QUOTE]

Lol. . . .this actually made me laugh out loud.
  • edited December 2011
    Durhambride, the food on your blog looks delish!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahh politics. :) I think there was a huge deal made out of this because it was extravagant but also because Chelsea was really awkward during her years as first daughter- honestly who isn't at that age- and everyone enjoys (or enjoys making jokes about) a happy-ending-fairy-tale story for the girl with the gawky Little House on the Prairie dresses and crazy hair. :)

It's not really about politics it's about celebrity weddings. And who doesn't love a good celebrity wedding? The WE channel wouldn't exist without them! :-P

-- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does it really matter how much anyone spends on there wedding.  It's their wedding.  If they feel like spending that much is what it takes to have what they want, so be it. It's not my money.  I can promise you that they both spent a lot more then me.  We all talk about the budgets we're on.  But I'm pretty sure that if we all had that type of money, we would do the same thing.

And don't even get me start on comparing this to the whole foreclosure thing.  That's just dumb.  This isn't the bank execs giving themselves huge bonuses while laying people off.  The Clintons and the Bushes have obviously been good at handling their money.  They can spent it on whatever they want. 

And did you ever think about the economic impact that wedding must of had on that small town?  I'm sure no one there is complaining about the money it brought in for them.
  • SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_clinton-weddings-vs-bush-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:9c8dadf5-8aa6-47ff-a56b-afbb0668ceeaPost:89e09463-c0cb-482c-b151-e5e06137c943">Re: Clinton Weddings vs. Bush Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]And did you ever think about the economic impact that wedding must of had on that small town?  I'm sure no one there is complaining about the money it brought in for them.
    Posted by alliegator8[/QUOTE]

My mom was gawking about it and I told her that they were stimulating the economy =)
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards