Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Centerpiece/theme Ideas

So, we have an all around "vintage" theme. We were going to try to pin point just the 40's, but now, I think we're going to be doing 40's/50's. My dress is a David's Bridal Style SML9790 (has a standing collar, deep V, and the back is my absolute FAVORITE!), I'm doing the birdcage veil, with an updo. The BM's dresses are by Stop Staring:

http://www.stopstaringclothing.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_images&p=180

The colors are Navy and light pink with pearl/ivory accents. I plan on doing button bouquets (thanks to the suggestions on here!! Now, I just have to find enough buttons and patience! haha) The one thing I'm stressing out about are the centerpieces! Of all things! I want something that screams vintage/classy/casual. We were thinking tall cylindrical vases with flowers in them... something like this:

http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0003/0044746/large_image.jpg

But I want something a little more vintage than that. We plan on marking the tables with names of vintage movies instead of numbers then putting quotes/pictures from those movies around the table... Any ideas for anything a little more vintage??

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Centerpiece/theme Ideas

• Options
    we are doing a 40's wedding also ( LOVE your BM dresses) my center pieces are glass wrpped in lace.
    the practice one was a mason jar but we just used Michaels glassware in 8 and 16" tall with electric tealights.  Very eary and not expensive.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I don't have a specific centerpiece design to suggest, but -- in case you don't know it -- big orchids were VERY often featured in 1950s wedding bouquets, so perhaps you could incorporate a big orchid into your centerpiece flowers.  (IF you want to!)  

You could probably also tie in your button bouquets by having a few "buttons on thin wires" stuck in with your flower arrangements (but do a test run first, if you think you might want to do this -- I don't know how it will look!).  Or you could glue buttons around the vases that you use.

To be honest, the tall cylinders don't really make me think "vintage."  They make me think "modern."  But maybe that's just me!  

BTW, love your choice of gown!  

• Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas/support!!! I'm starting to get more ideas rolling around. I wasn't sure about the tall vases either. I liked they way they look, but I think you're right, they're way more modern than vintage. We did want to use orchids in the vases floating in water, but we weren't sure how they were going to hold up in the water. I do love the idea of lace around the vases, so maybe we can incorporate that too. Thanks again!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards