Minnesota

Wedding DJs that don't suck

Hi everyone,

I am having troubles with my wedding reception music. I hate wedding DJs, because they often play cheesy music that's the same at every wedding (YMCA, Chicken Dance, Unchained Melody, Brown Eyed Girl, Celebration, anything that you cringe and say ' kill me' when you hear it), and that is exactly what I don't want. My fiance and I both like a variety of known and lesser known music (indie, prog rock, jazz, etc) and only like a smaller selection of "pop" music. Because of that, we had my cousin (with an eclectic music taste) booked to DJ and rented a DIY DJ package with all the equipment (my cousin has some DJing experience, but not with weddings). Long story short, I don't think the cousin DJing thing is going to work out. I need to find a wedding DJ or alternative (I'd love a band, but they're so expensive) ASAP, and I would like one that isn't corny and won't play the usual overplayed wedding music. Can anyone recommend a good DJ in the Rochester/MSP area that is also budget-friendly?

Re: Wedding DJs that don't suck

• Ask the MSP board...They are a little bit more active. 

I would rec mine, but I thought he sucked
  • Events by MV with DJ MV is fabulous.  He works with you to select music you like.  While he certainly has suggestions, will find and play whatever you want and will not play what you don't want.  He is fairly exclusive and may already be booked but worth checking out.  Works out of the Twin Cities but has done Rochester events - of course the fee would be higher.

• I would recommend mine, DJ Pint...She has listening sessions with you so you can pick 100% of the music, and also asks whether you want certain dances (Chicken dance, YMCA, etc.)  She did our friend's wedding in October and I find her to be reasonably priced.  I believe you may get a discount if you say we recommended her to you too.  I will PM my name and her phone number.
    Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
  • <div>I am having the same issue (sans the DJ cousin and I live in Minneapolis)!! I hope you get some good suggestions; it's so hard to find a DJ that is not obnoxious or grossly conventional. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the post!!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota_wedding-djs-that-dont-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:640Discussion:0e83b6dd-8200-4b05-8cb4-335b5664b5ecPost:9357da8c-f844-4476-a96f-967f0b5956a1">Wedding DJs that don't suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, I am having troubles with my wedding reception music. I hate wedding DJs, because they often play cheesy music that's the same at every wedding (YMCA, Chicken Dance, Unchained Melody, Brown Eyed Girl, Celebration, anything that you cringe and say ' kill me' when you hear it), and that is exactly what I don't want. My fiance and I both like a variety of known and lesser known music (indie, prog rock, jazz, etc) and only like a smaller selection of "pop" music. Because of that, we had my cousin (with an eclectic music taste) booked to DJ and rented a DIY DJ package with all the equipment (my cousin has some DJing experience, but not with weddings). Long story short, I don't think the cousin DJing thing is going to work out. I need to find a wedding DJ or alternative (I'd love a band, but they're so expensive) ASAP, and I would like one that isn't corny and won't play the usual overplayed wedding music. Can anyone recommend a good DJ in the Rochester/MSP area that is also budget-friendly?
    Posted by mhoel[/QUOTE]
  • I was gonna go with Alan Reed but he is spendy for us.

• Did you try "The Pros?"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards