Canada-Ontario

Renting a house or property for wedding? GTA area

Is it possible to rent a house or a property to host our wedding? I don't even know if this is possible or not or where to even start looking!! Any suggestions would be helpful, we are wanting our wedding in the GTA area or a little north of the city.
Thanks!

Re: Renting a house or property for wedding? GTA area

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi again! :)

It is possible to rent a house, although I haven't seen any in the GTA.  Take a look at luxury cottages in the Collingwood, Muskoka areas and the like.  I looked into that too - and the prices are more than appealing b/c you can get a 4-8 bedroom chalet/cottage for anywhere from $1500-$5000 for the week, depending on the size and style of the rental.  Some of them can make caterer and rental vendor suggestions for you as these rentals are used for that very purpose.  Check out these websites:

http://www.cottagescanadaonline.com/cottage-rentals/ontario/

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/canada/ontario

I think they're great for more intimate weddings.  I'm having around 150 people,  because accomodations might be a little hard for that many people around that area.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the links Jewel!!! Very helpful !!! My parents live near Collingwood (although their backyard is not ideal for wedding ceremony or tent) so it would be perfect!!! 
    Is this what you're doing? 
    edited December 2011
    Not sure yet, Sarah...we're still weighing the pros and cons and pricing as well as accomodations for guests and the like.  Have you decided on a date yet?
  • edited December 2011
    No set date but we want Fall 2012 - most likely September. You?
    edited December 2011
    LMAO - no way!  Me too!  I'm going to send you a PM so check your inbox.
  • edited December 2011
    Just sent you a PM - I don't know how to get an email notification if I receive a private message......so thanks for letting me know you sent it or else I would have never checked!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_renting-house-property-wedding-gta-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:339bc5f6-3a03-4208-9652-5c1f4b582972Post:6b23c6f9-03c4-4b72-9bad-e865e42dec81">Re: Renting a house or property for wedding? GTA area</a>:
    [QUOTE]LMAO - no way!  Me too!  I'm going to send you a PM so check your inbox.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]
    edited December 2011
    Hey Sarah,

Just replied to you - unfortunately, there is not PM notification on here.  I sometimes forget I have an inbox on here.  I just keep checking mine every so often.
  • edited December 2011
    Check your PM :)
    edited December 2011
    lol - check yours!  I sent you one yesterday. 
  • edited December 2011
    Check your PM :)
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a location called the Denardo's mansion that rents out for special occasions such as weddings and proms...but that's in Aurora
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info about Dinardo's mansion! We are willing to go up to Aurora/Newmarket area so that's no problem but the mansion hosts 2 weddings. I wanted to have my own location....any thoughts on that? Or would it be noticeable if there was another wedding ?
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Heintzman House in Thornhill. It's awesome, imo.  Probably only for 110 guests or so though
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not a house, but a mansion (used to be private, now owned by City of Burlington) in east Burlington called Paletta Mansion.  It holds I think 85 people max. for sit-down dinner, which is the sole reason we didn't book there.  http://cms.burlington.ca/Page44.aspx

It's a gorgeous property and gorgeous mansion, and it books up early for weddings.
  • edited December 2011
    We will most likely have about 150 people but those are great suggestions! I heard Heintzman location is stunning :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm interested in Heintzman but I haven't seen very many reviews or pictures. There's also Miller Lash House which I've heard great things about. A little pricey though but if you have a good caterer it could help keep costs low.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes - Miller Lash looks stunning. I emailed them and they have a list of caterers that they use but I believe they are quite pricey as well....perhaps it's the price to pay for exclusive use of the venue?? I wish we could find something cheaper....the problem is finding a location that will host us exclusively AND have space for about 150 or more..
    edited December 2011
    I don't think having another wedding at the same venue is such a big thing.  But it's up to your own personal tastes.  You'll be too busy running around that day doing photos and greeting people to even notice - unless that other wedding party crashes yours.

Talk to a wedding planner - they'd be able to tell you the best venues where you can do these things and save you the trouble of doing the research yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    I am booked at the Heintzman House for Aug 2012, and the venue is very pretty.

You can search "Weddings at Heintzman House" in Facebook - the onsite coordinator there posts pictures of the room layouts and set up so that you can see how it might look all set up. (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=57027167839)

When we met with the coordinator, she was very pleasant, answered all of our questions, and I felt she was a good person to work with.  Obviously we aren't having the wedding for another year, but so far, so good!
  • lisafalon84lisafalon84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    Not sure how far you are willing to travel but I am getting married in Ancaster (outside of hamilton) at the Tamahaac Club, its a big old mansion located on the top of the escaprment. The view is amazing and I am setting up a tent to have an outdoor wedding. inside can hold up to 120 and outside is up to you! Let me know if you 'd like more ifo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards