Snarky Brides

Happy Sunday and a quick question about Hunger Games

Good morning friends! Happy Sunday. Does anyone have any super awesome plans today? It' rainy here. We are either going to finish our garden, go fishing, or go to the movies (depending on the weather). I leave to go back out to Vegas Tuesday morning, so laundry and packing is also on my to-do list.

Okay, so here is my Hunger Games question. For those of you that have seen it, is it too violent for a 7 year old? I know it's PG 13, but that doesn't really bother me. Ben is not really into cartoons and he loves Star Wars and nature shows. I thought about taking him to see it, so I thought I'd check with you guys since a lot of you have seen it.

Re: Happy Sunday and a quick question about Hunger Games

• I think it's too violent for 7. It's not overly graphic but there's still kid on kid violence and killing and there is some blood. I think the best age cut-off would be 12 or 13.
  • Thanks! That's what I was worried about. The previews don't make it look graphic at all, but I know that if it really follows the books, then there would be some level of gore.
  • The actual violence is done pretty tastefully for MOST of the fight scenes.  There are a couple that are questionable (there's a part where one of the kids breaks another kid's neck and it's just sort of right there).  The violence, while not super bloody or anything, is obvious violence.  You know there are kids killing kids. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I read the books. I know they are kids killing kids.
  • No, I know YOU know that.  I meant in the movie--while they don't necessarily show one kid stabbing another, it's obvious that the kids are killing each other.

• I don't think it's too violent for a kid who is into Star Wars.  If he was used to Dora the Explorer then yeah, it's too violent - but it's not more violent than SW.
  • ceh, to me, the difference between HG and SW is in HG it's kids killing each other.  With real weapons and their bare hands, not weird futuristic weapons.

• Yeah. I'm not overly worried about that piece of it. For Ben, since they are all so much older than him, he won't think of it as "kids killing kids". It won't be any different than other killing in other movies. I'm more concerned about that gratuitous aspect of the violence (which it sounds like definitely exists).
  • Good Morning.

i haven't seen HG yet so I'm not hel there.

I'm burnt to a frickin' crisp.  I put on sunblock, reapplied, was only working outdoors for maybe 4 hours and I look like a lobster.  Failure on my part to notice that one of my daily regiment pills causes photosensitivity.  Thank goodness for lidocaine laced aloe lotion.

I'm getting some beef jerky going this morning, I have more garden seeds to get started today, art project to work on, going out for Italian for lubch, and beyond that I'm just going to vegetate and avoid the sun.  Stupid sun.
  • edited March 2012
    Good morning! Yesterday was reading by the pool day for me, which I desperately needed. It really helped me recharge my batteries. Today I'll be cleaning the house, doing some laundry and getting groceries for the week. I have no coffee, and it just doesn't feel right.

anna - I'm sorry about the sunburn, that's awful. Don't forget to up your water intake. :)

cew - I agree with the others, it might be a bit too violent for a 7 year-old. If I were 7 years old, I'd probably have nightmares about Cato (one of the career tributes) chasing me. But, then again, I'm a girl too so Ben might not be affected by that like I would have been.

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    H and I went to Cocoa Beach yesterday. We both put on sunblock, but we found a few spots that we each missed. So now I have a red spot on part of my arm, and another one on my hip. At least I remembered to cover my feet this time. Sunburned tops of feet are SO uncomfortable!

Today we have brunch with H's grandma and then we're going to the zoo. Tomorrow, it's back to Orlando. I love H's grandma, but it will be nice to just be the two of us again.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I have to go to a wedding shower this afternoon and its a blissful 10C so my long sleeve dress isnt going to be an issue like I was worried about. It rained ALL DAY yesterday, which was actually really nice, but I went out in flipflops and I had totally forgotten that when you walk in flipflops in the rain, it flips rain up on your ass as you walk. That was fun walking aroung the grocery store with water all over my ass.

Tonight is 2 hours of Mad Men. Ive been waiting one and a half loooooooong years for tonight.
  • Morning!

I agree with others, CEW. I'd skip it. Has he read the books? I mean, I think the whole 'kids killing kids' in a very realistic manner is too much.  Not just the killing, but the fact that they're doing it with every-day things, you know?  But it probably completely depends on each kid.  I'd say they did do a good job of 'showing' 22 deaths in a very PG-13 manner, but meh. I'd wait it out.

Anywho! I did all my laundry yesterday, so I don't have to wory about that today. woohoo. I'm grabbing lunch with a friend today, doing some quick errands, and then coming home to watch my team beat AATB's team in the NCAA hockey tournament game.  If they win, we're going to Tampa for the Frozen Four! 
  • Nebb - I'm very excited about the 2-hour premiere of Mad Men tonight. Not very excited about being up till 11pm when I have to get up tomorrow at 5am though haha.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012
    lol yeah, i hate when my shows keep me up late like that cause I can never get to bed at a decent time on Sunday nights. I am NOT looking forward to next sunday though, game of thrones AND the killing both premier at the same time, ontop of Mad Men also being on, so I am going to have to decide which I watch then and which I watch another time. Its a hard life.

DONT FORGET to check out TLo's recap tomorrow. They do a phenom job at picking up on themes and details in the show, and they can be super bitchy which is awesome.
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm insanely jealous of your ability to watch Mad Men tonight.

I'm feeling tense and stressed today for no good reason. Trying to take it easy this afternoon. Watched the Crazies with FH and now I'm planning on laying in bed and reading for a bit while he watches Nascar.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for the advice ladies! We did skip it. We'll just be saving HG for a date night. :)
  • It was a good movie, but Fi and I agree that a 7 year old is a little young, there was a lady there last night (we went to the 10:15pm show, ended at 12:45,) and she had her 6-7 yearold boy there and he didn't watch alot of it, he screamed for the first bit and then sat through most of it with his head burried in her neck, may have been due to the late time ( I was supprised to see a kid there at all). I was a little teary at some points and a little horrified at the idea of kids between 12 and 18  killing eachother to make their districts proud...I need to read the books to understand better..
    I dont think they are worse than SW but definatly different.
     SW is amazing tho, we are starting a marathon of them all tonight :), just finished the lord of the rings lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards