Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Flying Bridge Falmouth

Hi Ladies!

I love the Flying Bridge, and I'm wondering how to save money there!  We will have about 175 (maybe 165 if the numbers come in low). Does it make more sense to do the "gold buffet" at 65 pp (which they say is very popular), or should we do the plated dinner for 44 pp with added hors'doeurves?

Those of you who did go with Flying Bridge, how were you able to keep costs down? Did you do open bar? What about hors'doeuvres? I feel like there's things you can really save on there, but my mind is so full of venue stuff that I can't seem to figure it out!

The only other place I'm considering at the moment is West Dennis Yacht Club. My gut tells me that Flying Bridge would be cheaper, but when I crunch numbers I still get nearly 20k at Flying Bridge...I feel like there's something I must be missing, as lots of ladies on here say it should be on the cheaper side.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Re: Flying Bridge Falmouth

• The Gold Stations is perfect, and the stations open right after you are announced in so no waiting for your guests. The food is amazing, and the stations are all very creative & offers something for everyone! I think the stations would keep your cost better than adding appetizers to a sit down.  The stations also keep it a bit more casual and fun and keeps the guests up & mingling.  

The Tables also look pretty with a simple hurricane jar from AC Moore...add some sand some shells & a candle...you can do the tables for less than $7 each.

Open bar...you could limit it to cocktail hour, or jut dimply do beer & wine open bar.

• We sat down with Tyler and he went through with us what we could cut and where.

His advice to us:
    1. Don't do the champagne toast. If you do open bar for cocktail hour, everyone will have a drink of their choice. He said that they end up dumping 75% of the champagne by the end of the night when they have people do champagne toasts.

2. Don't do passed hors'doeurves. Our reception was from 4-9 (cocktail hour was 4-5). We did cheese/crackers/fruit station and that was PLENTY. No one complained about being hungry or anything, and people actually had room in their stomachs to actually eat their dinner. It helped that our reception started before dinner, so people weren't ravenous for food.

Things where we were able to cut corners:
    1. Open bar for only cocktail hour. I know cash bar is very looked down on on these boards, but we had no choice. We tried cutting wherever we were, but truth of the matter is that we didn't have $5000 to put down on alcohol.

2. Plated dinner. It was so nice not having everyone run around the room to the buffet or different stations. Everyone was able to just sit at their table, talk amongst the other people at their table, and relax. Not to mention that it was SO much cheaper. The service there was wicked quick too. I was amazed to see that pretty much every table got served at the same time and so quickly. (we did the baked scrod and the chicken cordon bleu which were both FANTASTIC!!).

3. We had our wedding on Labor day (which was a monday). So we didn't have to pay the $2000 room rental fee which was HUGE. That money went to our open bar for cocktail hour and open bar for our bridal party for the night.

4. We skipped the dessert that comes on the plated menu. If you get your cake through the casual gourmet, you can skip the dessert and they will credit you $2pp. Since we had a big wedding cake, we found it unnecessary to have dessert AND wedding cake.

Well I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me! :) Good luck with the rest of your planning!

• Thank You!!!

I was wondering about the passed hors d'oeurves!!! I am so glad to hear from somebody that just did cheese and crackers say it was sufficient :)

We are going to go for a May wedding date to avoid the room fee like you suggested...and thanks for the tip on the cake! That's awesome that they'll credit you 2 pp if you do cakes through Casual Gourmet.

I spoke to Darlene on the phone last week and she was super-helpful too. Thanks again!

Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_flying-bridge-falmouth-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:2d6f9143-0fd7-479f-8c9c-fd98b5fa8a82Post:4f0f55b5-34be-4596-8ca4-13b51b91a0f0">Re: Flying Bridge Falmouth</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sat down with Tyler and he went through with us what we could cut and where. His advice to us: 1. Don't do the champagne toast. If you do open bar for cocktail hour, everyone will have a drink of their choice. He said that they end up dumping 75% of the champagne by the end of the night when they have people do champagne toasts. 2. Don't do passed hors'doeurves. Our reception was from 4-9 (cocktail hour was 4-5). We did cheese/crackers/fruit station and that was PLENTY. No one complained about being hungry or anything, and people actually had room in their stomachs to actually eat their dinner. It helped that our reception started before dinner, so people weren't ravenous for food. Things where we were able to cut corners: 1. Open bar for only cocktail hour. I know cash bar is very looked down on on these boards, but we had no choice. We tried cutting wherever we were, but truth of the matter is that we didn't have $5000 to put down on alcohol. 2. Plated dinner. It was so nice not having everyone run around the room to the buffet or different stations. Everyone was able to just sit at their table, talk amongst the other people at their table, and relax. Not to mention that it was SO much cheaper. The service there was wicked quick too. I was amazed to see that pretty much every table got served at the same time and so quickly. (we did the baked scrod and the chicken cordon bleu which were both FANTASTIC!!). 3. We had our wedding on Labor day (which was a monday). So we didn't have to pay the $2000 room rental fee which was HUGE. That money went to our open bar for cocktail hour and open bar for our bridal party for the night. 4. We skipped the dessert that comes on the plated menu. If you get your cake through the casual gourmet, you can skip the dessert and they will credit you $2pp. Since we had a big wedding cake, we found it unnecessary to have dessert AND wedding cake. Well I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me! :) Good luck with the rest of your planning!
    Posted by amylee545[/QUOTE]
  • Tyler is awesome! He gave us some good recommendations on saving $$...even for flowers. He mentioned the same thing about not doing the champagne toast. Also said if you do plan to do open bar for an hour, limit it to beer & wine so people aren't ordering $9 martinis left & right. You pay by-the-drink at their open bar. 

We're doing the Gold Reception, but at the Coonamessett Inn (same company). If we had less guests we definitely would have picked the Flying Bridge. We picked the gold package because we didn't want a traditional sit-down dinner and we really wanted more variety w/ a raw bar & tons of apps. I did see the cheese station at a wedding there back in March & it was huge and impressive!!! I know they definitely don't skimp on the portions.

The view alone at the Flying Bridge is worth it!! Too bad you didn't book before April!! You could have had the old menu prices (we're paying $57ea for the gold package instead of $65)!! But $44pp plus a free venue right on the ocean is an amazing deal for the Cape!!! Saving on the room fee is key. That's $2500 more in your pocket :) I love how the FB doesn't do a room charge until the end of May. 

Also, did they talk about the admin fee with you ladies?? It was on my quote, but it says it doesnt cover the gratuities. Then I have read threads on here where the brides have said it DOES cover gratuities. But my friend who got married at the Coony said it wasn't on her final bill. I know I can't afford to shell out more than we're already spending! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards