South Asian Weddings

Curly Hair?

KP's post below about going to India and the mention ot curly hair made me wonder how many other ladies on the board have naturally curly hair?

I am Gujarati and have seriously curly hair, I think I get it from my mom's side of the family. The rest of my cousins etc don't...people will sometimes assume I am south Indian because of the curls, hah!

How many other ladies are naturally curly? Do you wish you weren't? For a while growing up I hated my curly hair, but now that I know what it will and won't do, we get along just fine :)
ExerciseMilestone

Re: Curly Hair?

• MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have naturally wavy hair...I love it but I think I straighten too much which probably isnt good.  Also I don't know how to properly tame it so I can wear it out in public wavy...but I love it at home :)
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my curly hair. I use redken products to tame it and deep condition it as often as I can with coconut oil when I'm home for a few hours. Love my hair this way!
  • edited December 2011
    I use Bumble and Bumble curl creme and a defrizz from them. I love the products, they don't weigh my hair down, tame/control the frizz and give my curls shape. I highly recommend them!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I have wavy hair too... I just straighten it to keep it straight and settled. Other wise it can afro out!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine used to be mostly straight until I had my first child. Then it went wavy and has been that way ever since. I don't really mess with it beyond "wash and go," because I'm just not patient enough to deal with it. It can get frizzy (Florida humidity and such) but for the most part it's in a ponytail or braid anyway just so it's out of my way!

R has natural curls, when he lets it get long enough. He gets it from his mom's side; his dad's side has straight hair.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've got super curly hair as well, but when straightened (the one time for the wedding) it it super long, and super fine... and it didn't last that long (the straightening lol)

When I was younger, I didn't like curly hair at all, mostly because my mom was brushing my hair, and many a knots, but now I've toughen up so to speak, or maybe my head got stronger...

Hairstyle wise, I pull it up 1/2 way, so that part is straight, and let the curls work their magic.  In the afternoon / night I let my hair down, and get a nice effect as shown below...

I use Fructis Leave In Conditioner to make the hair more manageable during air-dry... no blow dry, ever.

For fancy-ness I use Fekkai Curl Serum - but it's 2$20 a bottle, and with hair down my back, the stuff doesn't last long.  The Fructis stuff is between $2 and $4 per bottle, and it's twice the size of the Fekkai stuff...

Oh, and I do lots of different parts of my hair, zig zags etc, and looks prety good :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    I have naturally curly hair too!  But never wear it curly.  I blow dry it and straighten it every day.  I don't really like my hair curly and it gets too big and frizzy.
  • edited December 2011
    My hair is pin straight and extremely fine.  I keep it pretty short so I can fluff it up and make it look like there's more of it than there really is...herbal essence mousse is my friend  I often wished for curly hair--I got my dad's fine hair but his is curly.  I got over my wish when he went grey and started to look like Albert Einstein when his hair is not buzz cut...LOL.  

FI's hair is thick and wavy, as is his sister's and both his parents' hair.  Some of his cousins have full-on curly hair, most are wavy at least.  They're from Goa.  FI has to keep his hair pretty short or he gets something of an afro.  I'm told he tried to grow it out long in college (before I knew him) and it didn't go so well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm on the sort of wavy side. I just wash and go.... I'm not really into doing anything with it.... lazy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have naturally curly/wavy hair.  I usually wear it curly and  I'm fine with it... well, most of the time.  It doesn't get that big or frizzy except for the occasional really bad hair day.  When I do straighten it I think it makes my face look too long.  Growing up, I didn't like my hair, but not so much how it looked, but that everyone comments on it.

DH is Bengali and has wavy hair and SIL has curly hair.  It's somewhat common for Bengalis, although I have noticed it's a feature they don't like and MIL (she has wavy hair) always wears it straight or so you can't tell the texture.
  • edited December 2011
    It's nice to know I am not alone! I always thought that I was "weird" for having spiral curls and longed for straight hair. But I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, right?

How do you ladies handle your curls/waves/frizz when you travel to humid places, or even India? Normally here at home I half dry my hair with my diffuser after using the curl creme and defrizz. But when I am in India, I usually just pull my hair back into a bun/ponytail and rarely leave my hair down.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    For frizzy humidity weather, I end up having a pretty bad hair day, so I just tie it up, and don't bother with it :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
    edited December 2011
    Do less to it when it's humid!  I never straighten my hair myself, and I don't get a blow out if it's raining.  I also never use a drier which I think ruins the hair and makes it frizz.  I have long hair, so when I'm traveling and especially if it's hot I tie it up any way.  For our wedding reception in my IL's village (where there is no salon and fluctuating electricity), I just washed it and let it curl.  It stayed fine.
  • edited December 2011
    I live in humidity. Honestly, I have fewer frizz problems when I let it air-dry before styling (though most days "styling" consists of a braid or ponytail) than I do when I blow-dry it before styling. I have to use a lot of gel, frizz serum, and other products to keep the frizz in check when it's been blow-dried, even though that's the only way to make it go completely straight (and even then it needs goop to KEEP it straight - those waves are stubbron!). It's like humidity ruins carefully done hairstyles just out of spite!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My hair is super curly, thick and dense.  Triple threat.  I never wear it curly, it just doesn't suit my face (its roundish).  I wash, blow dry, and flat iron everyother day (sometimes 3 days).  It's a pain, but I'm used to it.  Before I went to India I got a brazilian keratin treatment, which brought my hair down to a wave, cut all the frizz, and cut my blow drying time to less than half.  It was amazing. I usually never have wash and go hair, but with a  BKT i didn't even need mousse or gel.  Unfortunately it only lasts 3 months, then it kind of gradually washes off. Anyways, I'm going to get it again a month or so before the wedding.
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    I guess what ever floats your boat... I like curly hair, it's random day to day... I don't think I would put any chemicals in my hair to make that randomness go away... my grandma tried, and it truly messed up her hair :-(  And my mom, well let's just say her hair will never be black again, it's more like a mix of reds and browns....

• edited December 2011
    It's always tempting to try out the keratin treatments, my sister in law does it and her hair has turned out just fine each time. It really is taking a chance though. I guess different people will react differently since we each have different hair types.

I honestly didn't like my curls until maybe 4 or 5 years ago, then I started getting it cut by a stylist who follows the devachan method - he cuts my hair dry and then washes and styles. That way you're cutting it so that you know what it will look like, with the natural curl. I highly recommend it!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Nice :) That's good to know :)

edited December 2011
    I've never heard of that!  Although possibly my hair isn't THAT curly (It's really curly right after I wash it, but then it stretches out).  My new hairdresser recommended keratin treatments.  Unlike the other straightening method, hair already has keratin in it naturally and it wears off (instead of growing out).  I told her that I would be willing to try it just to relax the curls, but not leave the hair totally straight.  Still thinking it over...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards