Outdoor Weddings

Hay Bale Seating Covers??

Hi everyone!
My wedding is in September and taking place in the middle of an apple orchard (theres a clearing). We're using hay bale seating and I LOVE the look but was wondering if anyone had any tips for covering the bales as I don't want to snag any guests attire. We're borrowing the bales from a friend for free and I'm hoping not to spend a lot to cover them :/ Has anyone been to a wedding with this type of seating and would you recommend it? What do you think would be the cheapest option for covers?
Thanks so much in advance for any tips!!

Re: Hay Bale Seating Covers??

• This doesn't answer your question, but I encourage you to read this past thread regarding hay bale seating.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_hay-bale-seating-yes-or-no+
  • You could use lawn chair/lounger chair pads. The hay won't poke through and they're probably pretty cheap this time of year. Mis-matched pads might give you more of a country-chic-vintagey look that I can only assume you're wanting with the hay bales.
  • I know that by where I live the CVS and other stores have fleece blankets for really inexpensive.  I occasionally get them for my dog's crate becuase they are soft and on the smaller side.  I feel like they could fit nicely over a hay bale without having to cut them down, and without worrying about them dragging. . . . I'm just not sure if the hay would still be pointy and annoying through them, you'd have to check.
  • I agree w/pp that fleece will be an easy option and it will help prevent snagging. Even if you get a color that goes with wedding, just get a nice zig zag fabric scissor to cut it you'll be done, it will look good w/no sewing. Fleece usually runs at fair prices and many stores like Joann Fabrics put 40% off coupons in the local Sunday papers. But if you want to do fleece, get it soon because it's pretty much the end of the season and you may not get much of a selection in the summer months.

(if you do use fleece and don't have a use for the covers after the wedding, I'm sure your local animal shelter or rescue organization would love the donation of them, shelters are always looking for blankets no matter what size for the animals they house)

• Fleece sounds like it would work okay. If you are okay with a more eclectic look, you could shop around flea markets for old quilts in your colors, too.

I would also encourage you to have some non-haybale seating available, even if it's just a bench you bring from your backyard. Some people are horribly allergic and even sitting on it with a blanket could send them to the hospital.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree to make it something thick -- and on the front of the bale, too, not just the top.  Quilts or fleece were what came to my mind; you could also check thrift stores for blankets.

LOVE the idea in PP of donating to an animal shelter if you don't want them after the wedding!
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think I'll look at fabric stores this weekend for prices on fleece. I agree that bench seating or chairs for those who are allergic or can't sit for long periods of time without a back to a seat I'm just worried it won't look good in pictures :/ I'm going to warn my guests beforehand too so hopefully if they have allergies they can pre-medicate before attending. Thanks again everyone!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_hay-bale-seating-covers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:5e468596-540d-4a8a-ac0c-64f27ea8b341Post:875eea62-e9d1-4faa-a5ea-39390e97ce37">Re: Hay Bale Seating Covers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think I'll look at fabric stores this weekend for prices on fleece. I agree that bench seating or chairs for those who are allergic or can't sit for long periods of time without a back to a seat <strong>I'm just worried it won't look good in pictures</strong> :/ I'm going to warn my guests beforehand too so hopefully if they have allergies they can pre-medicate before attending. Thanks again everyone!
    Posted by btull1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Please try to care more about the comfort and health of your guests than your pretty pictures. </div>
  • You want people to "pre-medicate" so your pics look better?  I would have to be one of those people and you are nuts if you think I will load up on antihistimines (goodbye anyting but softdrinks at your reception) for you.  My husband is one of those people with a horrid back (he is to t he point of having to probably choose surgery this year as it is getting that bad) and he, too, would be unable to sit on hay bales for your pictures.

Please definitely so have something in your invitations letting your guests know of your seating arrangements.  I'm not being snarky here but it would absolutely require DH and I to decline.  
  • Rather than spending money trying to make hay bales more comfortable and losing the look of a hay bale, your money is better spent renting proper chairs with backs.  You can rent natural wood folding chairs for a couple of dollars each, and you will still have rustic, but comfortable, seating for your guests.
  • Ok I think she is just saying if being around the hay causes sneezing itchy eyes for them to take a Claritin. I really don't think anyone would want their guests hospitalized for a pretty picture. Or have them doped up for the wedding. Talk to your photographer on where to set the chairs so you get the pictures you want. People can be so rude and take things the wrong way do what works best for you and your fiancé.
  • Troy&Jodi said:
    Ok I think she is just saying if being around the hay causes sneezing itchy eyes for them to take a Claritin. I really don't think anyone would want their guests hospitalized for a pretty picture. Or have them doped up for the wedding. Talk to your photographer on where to set the chairs so you get the pictures you want. People can be so rude and take things the wrong way do what works best for you and your fiancé.
    Aside from bringing an 8 month old thread back to life, your advice is horrible.  A couple doesn't do what is best for them and their pictures at the comfort and care of their guests.  And again, if someone has to medicate to attend a wedding there is something wrong with that picture.  I take Claritin D during allergy season and I don't drink when I take it because alcohol can enhance certain side effects.  Guests having to medicate for pretty pictures?  No way in Hell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards